Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holster Vests

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    You've nailed my question closer than I did: are there any vests that approach the quality of a shoulder holster?
    Not in my limited experience. I suppose a lot of that depends on what gun you're carrying.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Yeah, that's what the link does in my OP. You buy the vest and an appropriate holster "pocket" for $15 to fit the velcro. I think they go into the external pocket, but I really don't want that; I want "shoulder."

Maybe this will work - I'll all tomorrow and ask: http://www.511tactical.com/511-tactical-vest.html

Alternatively, I'll try a regular shoulder holster and cover it with a pocket vest. Maybe it'll work for me. Thanks, all.

I'm not sure we're thinking the same thing. I was meaning get quality shoulder holster (totally unrelated to the vest), use velcro patches (or snap loops?) if needed to keep the harness of the shoulder holster from sliding out into view in the edge of the vest arm opening.

Unless the vest had a built in shoulder harness system I dont think it would handle the weight of a full size gun very well carried in a pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Unless the vest had a built in shoulder harness system I dont think it would handle the weight of a full size gun very well carried in a pocket.
    True, though the heavier ones from the maker posted at the OP's link can handle a loaded G26/27 easily (a little balancing of weights in the other pocket helps, especially when going to the lighter vests)
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 08-31-2015 at 03:01 PM.

What are you trying to carry?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    True, though the heavier ones from the maker posted at the OP's link can handle a loaded G26/27 easily (a little balancing of weights in the other pocket helps, especially when going to the lighter vests)
    Ok, sounds like theyve used a heavier material to help with that. The times I've carried in a vest or jacket pocket, it tended to sag after a while, and shift the garment to the heavy side, like you mentioned a counterbalance would help with. It tended to require some herding of the garment to keep it even the times I've done it. The lighter guns many of us carry today can only help in that regard.

Their pocket pouch is attached to the pocket proper through velcro (the pocket itself is partially lined with velcro) giving the user an attachment that's definitely more solid than just a pocket holster and somewhat adjustable as to position in the pocket (and have let's say a small piece of cardboard as a stiffener if sagging still happens).

Mind you, I bought their vests some years back and I don't know what they have changed, if anything, but having a G26/27 backup to my belt carried G19/23 in the pocket was nice.

My flying vest in the way-back-whens held a two-inch Smith M15 okay. If I can't duplicate that feel, I'm going to have to compromise. The vest pocket carry would likely swing more than I like with a P35 or a G19 or equivalent.

I was unable to find a vest I liked and bought a Ritchie Leather shoulder holster, instead. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me and I returned it.

The quality was fine and so was customer service (as long as you remember to address email to Skip), but the design wasn't really suitable for concealed carry, IMO - it appeared to be designed for carry over a tac vest. The portion over the back is very expansible, but three overlapping layers of leather compromise its concealability. The pull-through pistol retention device sticks out past the rear of the slide about an inch on horizontal carry, though to be fair you can specify a thumb-break, which would not have that problem. Finally, though just a matter of taste, I prefer molded, squared-off dual magazine holders, rather than a single piece of leather sewed down the middle and at both sides, though, again, this is cheaper to make and has no effect on its function.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 04-30-2016 at 05:56 PM.

User Tag List