Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low hits under stress - need advice

Low hits under stress - need advice

Folks, I've been lurking here for just a while, and it's time to ask my first question. I'm trying to improve my skills, and trying to be a bit scientific about it. So, my problem....when I am just target shooting, under no timer or stress, I can get decent hits at 10 yards. I'm pleased with the accuracy and grouping for now. But as soon as I start timing myself, I get a little bit wider group (but still okay for now), but the entire group is 4 to 5 inches low.
    I guess I should mention that I am attempting a version of the Bill Drill. If it matters, I am using a single stack 1911 in 9mm.
    Please give me your thoughts on what I am doing to cause this and how to correct it.
    Here's what it feels like to me, but again give me your thoughts, I think that when I am placing some stress on myself with the timer, I am gripping the gun a but tighter with my strong hand and thereby pulling the muzzle down with the last two fingers of my hand.
    I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense! Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.

I have this same issue. Maybe a different cause, but same effect. My personal guess is either I'm milking or not gripping hard enough, so that when I press the trigger fast the muzzle dips. If anyone has any idea what we can do to diagnose this it would be helpful. For whatever it's worth, slow fire or one-handed fire isn't really an issue, it's only when I shoot faster. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    It sounds like what both of y'all have is a trigger control issue which only comes out when shooting faster and or under stress. Milking or "heeling" normally causes rounds to go high rather than low. Normally, as one is squeezing with the pinky they are also squeezing with the heel of the hand and the heel of the hand will force the muzzle up. When you are "trying to go fast "you are simply out running the headlights of the trigger control you've already developed in slow fire.

You do have to push yourself to improve speed, however, you do that by pushing until you out run your headlights and then dialing back some to consolidate your gains before pushing on again.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-30-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Per Robbie Leatham, the way to shoot faster is to jerk the trigger faster. However, don't jerk the trigger any faster than you can do that without disturbing the sights commensurate with the difficulty of the shot.

Once you can make shots without a time constraint, better shooting is largely a function of learning how fast you can jerk the trigger for a particular shot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I always suffered from low shots. Now I suffer from high shots. One day I hope to suffer from center shots.

May be a "timing issue" of recoil anticipation -- you're wanting to shoot fast and you know the gun is going to recoil, so you try to counteract the recoil to bring the muzzle back down ASAP, and you wind up pushing the gun down before the shot has even gone off. You shouldn't need to fight the recoil, adjust your grip if necessary so the front sight naturally comes back down on target. Someone here posted this video of Mike Pannone a while back...discussion of follow through and recovery is around 5:45.

That was an excellent video Eric. I suggest anyone who enjoyed the first one to wait till the second one loads and 'auto plays'. It was very informative as well.

May I suggest taking a class with Jay Cunningham if you haven't done so already?

I certainly appreciate the effort in diagnosing and fixing one's own problems, but sometimes a second set of eyes are super helpful to speed the process up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    May I suggest taking a class with Jay Cunningham if you haven't done so already?

I certainly appreciate the effort in diagnosing and fixing one's own problems, but sometimes a second set of eyes are super helpful to speed the process up.
    Yup. Having someone who knows how to instruct cannot be overstated. It could just be a shooting buddy or a former SEAL or a guy that just takes instruction seriously.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Burpees & Beer View Post
    But as soon as I start timing myself, I get a little bit wider group (but still okay for now), but the entire group is 4 to 5 inches low.
    Shoot under a timer more often, get comfortable with it. Shoot with a timer, shoot some matches, and work at shooting drills that someone else controls.

User Tag List