Page 97 of 178 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    On Marlin forums, the .44 Magnums are notorious for having accuracy issues at longer ranges with heavier bullets, like 300 gr, with the 1:38 twist. Lots of barrel makers run more like 1:20 for those calibers.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Interesting, thanks!

I’d probably never run anything more than standard pressure 200-250gr .45 Colt loads and at 100yds max so the 38 twist probably wouldn’t be an issue but I’ll keep that in mind as I dig deeper.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Yeah I'd bet you can tighten it up with different ammo. The LeverEvolution ammo is optimized for longer barrels. If I had one of these I would probably set it up for use with the Federal 125gr JHP loading and a suppressor. I had a 336 shortened and accurized by a well known lever gun smith using his "through-bolt" system and it was very accurate with that ammo.
    You are correct sir.

I just happened to have some Fed 125 JHP's on hand.

5 shots @50 yrds:
    Name:  20200726_172037.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  26.0 KB

I don't think I'm going to try to stretch things out any further anytime soon if ever.

With a non magnified rds I am pushing what my current eyesight, corrective lenses well let me see at 50 yds. That may change next month when I go in for my regular eye exam.

I purchased this gun for carrying around on the UTV, having something lightweight, small. It fits that bill quite well. I don't intend to go out hunting with it at long ranges, or for that matter even medium size ranges.

My only previous experience with a lever action was with a 1950s vintage Winchester. This gun has a much smoother action, much better iron sights, and has a recoil pad which makes shooting it a lot nicer.

Overall I'm pleased with it for the role which it has

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    You are correct sir.

I just happened to have some Fed 125 JHP's on hand.

5 shots @50 yrds:
    Name:  20200726_172037.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  26.0 KB

I don't think I'm going to try to stretch things out any further anytime soon if ever.

With a non magnified rds I am pushing what my current eyesight, corrective lenses well let me see at 50 yds. That may change next month when I go in for my regular eye exam.

I purchased this gun for carrying around on the UTV, having something lightweight, small. It fits that bill quite well. I don't intend to go out hunting with it at long ranges, or for that matter even medium size ranges.

My only previous experience with a lever action was with a 1950s vintage Winchester. This gun has a much smoother action, much better iron sights, and has a recoil pad which makes shooting it a lot nicer.

Overall I'm pleased with it for the role which it has
    What RDS are you using? I picked up an 1895GBL and added an XS lever rail. I'm still debating what to top it with. I'm having a hard time finding a lpvo like I want (1-4 with a duplex or similar illuminated retical) so I'm also considering a holosun of some flavor. Typical ranges would be under 200yds and most likely a 100 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    What RDS are you using? I picked up an 1895GBL and added an XS lever rail. I'm still debating what to top it with. I'm having a hard time finding a lpvo like I want (1-4 with a duplex or similar illuminated retical) so I'm also considering a holosun of some flavor. Typical ranges would be under 200yds and most likely a 100 or less.
    Holosun, don't know the specific model but I will find out.

Guys, talk to me about a Winchester 94AE with a cross bolt safety and a saddle ring in .45 Colt. Appears to have a fairly short barrel, but no measurements are available. Are these things a yay or a nay? I've read the 94 wasn't really meant for pistol cartridges and the feeding may be a bit iffy. The safety is of course ugly, but not a lot of genuine American lever guns out here for sale so it can't be a deal breaker alone.

(If I'm right about what model the gun is, the price is about twice what the MSRP of a new one was in the US. Oh well...)

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Guys, talk to me about a Winchester 94AE with a cross bolt safety and a saddle ring in .45 Colt. Appears to have a fairly short barrel, but no measurements are available. Are these things a yay or a nay? I've read the 94 wasn't really meant for pistol cartridges and the feeding may be a bit iffy. The safety is of course ugly, but not a lot of genuine American lever guns out here for sale so it can't be a deal breaker alone.

(If I'm right about what model the gun is, the price is about twice what the MSRP of a new one was in the US. Oh well...)
    It sounds like a Trapper 16" barrel. It's been so long since I had one I can't comment on feeding. Removing the safety doesn't have any effect on function.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

What y'all have there is a 94ae Trapper.
    I have had one for many years now, and it functions without fail.

Yes, the cross bolt is ugly, and I believe that there is a kit to eliminate it, but it really doesn't bother me, nor does effect the operation of the carbine.
    The barrel is a 16 inch.

I'd say get it.
    45colt out of a longer barrel is a great game getter.
    Load it up with hard cast lead and you are good to go.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I have had one for many years now, and it functions without fail.

Yes, the cross bolt is ugly, and I believe that there is a kit to eliminate it
    So no feeding issues with different bullet shapes or cartridge lengths?

Are you sure about that kit? According to my research so far, while a kit exists for the Marlin 1894, there isn't one for the Winchester. One could remove the safety and cover the hole in the receiver with nylon hole covers, though... But anyways, the existence of the crossbolt safety is not that big of a deal for me, I'm more interested in how well these things run in general.

Apparently some CAS guys aren't very happy with these guns but I'm not sure if I would be bothered by the same things as they are. The magazine capacity being only 9 rounds instead of the 10 needed in CAS is a non-issue. Apparently the action of the lever isn't as smooth as in some other models but is that really that big of a deal, or typical race gun snobbery? My main concern is that some claim the 1894 doesn't feed shorter cartridges very reliably since it's designed for longer cartridges, but is there any truth to that or is it just more misinformed Internet BS? Without knowing anything about the people posting these claims it can be hard to tell.

So no feeding issues with different bullet shapes or cartridge lengths?

Are you sure about that kit? According to my research so far, while a kit exists for the Marlin 1894, there isn't one for the Winchester. One could remove the safety and cover the hole in the receiver with nylon hole covers, though... But anyways, the existence of the crossbolt safety is not that big of a deal for me, I'm more interested in how well these things run in general.

Apparently some CAS guys aren't very happy with these guns but I'm not sure if I would be bothered by the same things as they are. The magazine capacity being only 9 rounds instead of the 10 needed in CAS is a non-issue. Apparently the action of the lever isn't as smooth as in some other models but is that really that big of a deal, or typical race gun snobbery? My main concern is that some claim the 1894 doesn't feed shorter cartridges very reliably since it's designed for longer cartridges, but is there any truth to that or is it just more misinformed Internet BS? Without knowing anything about the people posting these claims it can be hard to tell.
    I only load to factory length with all of my reloads.
    I've used round leads, Sierra's hollow points, ball 45acp bullets, but I have also loaded hard cast.
    From Keith style to 300 grain flat nose sledgehammers, never an issue... But I will say that on all 94s, they actions prefer to be operated "briskly".
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List