Page 94 of 177 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

So I'm a Henry nerd. It started with I've of their .22s that I've used to teach a few dozen kids and adults how to shoot a rifle. I used to bug the owner of via phone calls every 6 months to make a 16-inch, round barreled steel-framed 357. He told me there was no market for it but to keep calling him every six months to a year to remind him.

Then states like Ohio allowed straight walled hunting cartridges. Lo and behold, Henry made the Steel Boy. The only thing lacking now was a side gate loader! Fast forward to 2020 and we have the Big Boy X. I'm saving up for one.
    https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy-x-model/

Never satisfied, I hope they release an X edition with wood furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Well, my curiosities about the BLR will soon be satiated. Saw a used '81 lightweight takedown in .243 so I threw in the opening bid of $660 and turned out to be the only bidder.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872031576
    That seems like a really good deal on a well made gun.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Well, my curiosities about the BLR will soon be satiated. Saw a used '81 lightweight takedown in .243 so I threw in the opening bid of $660 and turned out to be the only bidder.

You did good.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    That seems like a really good deal on a well made gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    You did good.
    I would have much preferred a .308 but for the price I'm happy with the .243, despite already having a Savage 99 in .243. I had missed out on a takedown 99 in .30-30 for a really good price and that got me looking for other takedowns. I had been drooling over the Browning website , particularly at the .308 lightweight stainless takedown. So things worked out really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I used to own a stainless takedown blr in 223.
    Well built gun!
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

BLRs

It is good to see the favorable words about BLRs, here on P-F, after seeing so much disdain and hate posted in other places. Reading between the lines of many of those unfavorable reports, I had wondered if the accounts were, largely, parroted apocrypha. I have not subjected my .308 BLRs, a mid-Nineties Lightning, and a Takedown, to really hard use or abuse, but it is good to know that P-F folks like the BLR.

Mine are both blued. I did have a pair of the stainless, but sold them, with plans to replace them with at least one .308 Stainless Takedown, if I can ever find one.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

94 22M is a good choice.

Sweet rifle! Let us know how you like it!

Site Supporter
    I owned and experimented with five of these: 2(.223), .270, .308, and 30-06. All functioned reliably and had better than just hunting accuracy. For me there were two limitations. The iron sights were poor, and the straight stock had excessive drop that turned cheek weld into jaw weld when they were scoped. I had my gunsmith cut the barrel on the 30-06 and adapt a Williams aperture eight to it by drilling and tapping the receiver and then fitting. It became a supreme cast bullet rifle.
    I deer hunted with the .270 for years. With the .223 and .308 I had great fun burning up military ammo. These rifles are hell to reassemble when taken apart. My rifles were the streamlined version that were made a few years after your gun was made. They were streamlined in that the magazines were flush and did not protrude. Should you buy extra mags, pay attention to which type you order. The newer and older ones may not interchange. These rifles have triggers that lack capability for improvement. They are well made in every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I owned and experimented with five of these: 2(.223), .270, .308, and 30-06. All functioned reliably and had better than just hunting accuracy. For me there were two limitations. The iron sights were poor, and the straight stock had excessive drop that turned cheek weld into jaw weld when they were scoped. I had my gunsmith cut the barrel on the 30-06 and adapt a Williams aperture eight to it by drilling and tapping the receiver and then fitting. It became a supreme cast bullet rifle.
    I deer hunted with the .270 for years. With the .223 and .308 I had great fun burning up military ammo. These rifles are hell to reassemble when taken apart. My rifles were the streamlined version that were made a few years after your gun was made. They were streamlined in that the magazines were flush and did not protrude. Should you buy extra mags, pay attention to which type you order. The newer and older ones may not interchange. These rifles have triggers that lack capability for improvement. They are well made in every respect.
    Interesting. I have cleaned a coworkers BL-22 and it was the same way. A bit difficult to get back together due to a tiny part that had to go in a hard to reach place.

I would still take one as it is a beautiful rifle with a nice fit and finish.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List