Page 92 of 178 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

1948 Marlin 336SC "Waffle Top"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    1948 Marlin 336SC "Waffle Top"

My big brother has a c.1951 example in .35 Remington, in an identical configuration. I have asked for right of first refusal on that carbine since 1990.
    Not all that pleasant to shoot, but man, does it ever point well and I hit where I aim.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 12-11-2019 at 08:16 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Attachment 6817

My dad had a 336 when I was a kid. .30-30, but he never hunted much, and it ended up going to pay the rent for a couple of months and never came back.

Somehow, I got my hands on a Marlin catalog and just spent hours drooling over the 39a and 39 Texan. Never made up my mind which I wanted more, and never got one since my mother forbade my father and uncles from getting me one.

About two years ago, I came across the 30AS pictured here (what they used to call the plain Jane 336 in an unadorned, no checkering birch stock), and got it for, IIRC, $225. Shot a box through it with the open sights, but it seemed to hit high, even with the ladder as low as it would go. And my eyes aren't really what they used to be, so I put a 4x Leupold scope I had lying around on it. Shoots pretty good, but the old Leupold M7 is really more of a collector thing now than a practical scope, so it might get swapped out, or I might try a peep sight. I hesitate to do that, though, since most shots on game out here are pretty far. Which is why I still haven't hunted with it - the only shot I got on a buck last year was 300 yards. Made a clean kill with my .243, but I'm pretty sure the .30-30 isn't the best choice for that kind of hunting.
    I sold this rifle a couple of years ago. Never did end up hunting with it, or shooting it very much. Just not the right rifle or cartridge for where I live, I guess. Got something a little more fun last month:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  28.8 KB

JM stamped. Some age and use scars, but it’s a fun little carbine. .357 or .38, no problems. .38s feel like a rimfire, .357s are a bit more but not really a big deal - my 100# daughter who doesn’t love shooting shot a whole box through it.

It’s like the Rifleman rifle, without the big loop. Or any of those other TV/movie pistol caliber rifles, and mates up with all my .38 and .357 revolvers.

Finally got an actual little Marlin carbine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

New to me 1964 Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie to pal around with the S&W Model 18-3 I acquired last week. The Burris Mini 2-7 has been on a fair share of rimfires over the years and I thought I’d try it on this one.

Name:  84841AED-2889-4589-AEB4-2C54D1FB2A33.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  86.5 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Love that walnut!
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Love that walnut!
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    New to me 1964 Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie to pal around with the S&W Model 18-3 I acquired last week. The Burris Mini 2-7 has been on a fair share of rimfires over the years and I thought I’d try it on this one.

Beautiful rifle
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post

YES!

A Marlin Mountie and a Burris 2-7 Mini are a truly AWESOME combo!

In fact the Marlin Mountie is my all time favorite rifle when it comes to shooting just for fun.

No doubt yours is in much nicer shape than mine. I have spent a good bit of time in the field in not so great weather with the combo, not to mention lots and lots of dust from dirt roads.

You should really enjoy that for years.

Congratulations!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Looks like a Marlin 39 is only a little less expensive than a Winchester 94/22. Which would y'alls prefer and why? (Since I can't justify a 94/22 Trapper...)
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Looks like a Marlin 39 is only a little less expensive than a Winchester 94/22. Which would y'alls prefer and why? (Since I can't justify a 94/22 Trapper...)
    The short throw of the Browning BL-22 seems nice when I’ve handled them in stores, but I’ve never shot one. Any thoughts on that one?

Sounds like a “lever action .22” thread in the making....;-)

User Tag List