Page 84 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Magazine-less, with lever.

.357 Magnum, a quite rare chambering for the Ruger No. 1, so I bought it sight-unseen, on-line.

Image created by the dealer, Collector’s Firearms.
    Oh my that's lovely. Well done sir.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Thanks.

I remember reading, in the mid-to-late Eighties, IIRC, that Ruger made a run of No. 1 Rifles in .357 Magnum, in response to a request by a group of highway patrol officers; CA, if I recall correctly. I do not know whether this was the only such limited-run, but this one letters as having been made as part of a limited run in 1983. 1983 happens to be the year I applied at Houston PD, and I started the academy in November 1983. The standard duty handgun for cadets and rookies was one of several specified .357 Magnum DA revolvers, and, in retirement, I like .357 revolvers, so, this one seemed fitting; a rifle that eats from the same plate as my favored revolving pistols.

I already have No. 1 rifles in .375 H&H and .45-70 Government, so did not have to guess that I like the ergonomics and handling.

Obviously, a No. 1 is a bit heavy to be chambered for something as light as .357 Mag, but that factor was over-ridden by the sentimental value of .357 Mag, to me.

I do not collect, for the sake of collecting, but this one is certainly one of my most-collectible weapons.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-30-2019 at 09:37 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Thanks.

I remember reading, in the mid-to-late Eighties, IIRC, that Ruger made a run of No. 1 Rifles in .357 Magnum, in response to a request by a group of highway patrol officers; CA, if I recall correctly. I do not know whether this was the only such limited-run, but this one letters as having been made as part of a limited run in 1983. 1983 happens to be the year I applied at Houston PD, and I started the academy in November 1983. The standard duty handgun for cadets and rookies was one of several specified .357 Magnum DA revolvers, and, in retirement, I like .357 revolvers, so, this one seemed fitting; a rifle that eats from the same plate as my favored revolving pistols.

I already have No. 1 rifles in .375 H&H and .45-70 Government, so did not have to guess that I like the ergonomics and handling.

Obviously, a No. 1 is a bit heavy to be chambered for something as light as .357 Mag, but that factor was over-ridden by the sentimental value of .357 Mag, to me.

I do not collect, for the sake of collecting, but this one is certainly one of my most-collectible weapons.
    If I had to walk out the door with just my 1894c, GP100, and a couple of boxes of .357 ammo, I'd feel well equipped for most things. The .357, in my opinion, is underrated as a rifle/carbine cartridge.

If that rifle were one of the H&R/NEF guns, or one of the new Henry Single Shots, I'd suggest reaming it for .357 Maximum, but it would be best to leave a rifle of that pedigree unmolested.

It should eat heavy 180 grain loads with aplomb though.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I literally haven't taken this rifle out of the safe in about 7 years. The intervening time has NOT been good for my eyesight. Any ideas on a replacement front sight that might be a bit easier to pick up than the factory standard?
    As mentioned previously and as I mentioned in the "what did you shoot today" thread, an aperture rear sight will be a tremendous help for those with eye issues. I have a friend who had eye surgery that got rid of his cataracts but left him with a limited ability to to focus on the front sight of the rifle. After trying my rifles with aperture sights, he bought a set and is 100% back in the iron sight game with his rifles.

The aperture acts as a sort of lens to increase depth of field just like the iris in a camera when stepped down. And like an iris, the smaller you go, the better the depth of field but the more light is needed. Trying to shoot with a .05 target aperture at dusk does not work at all. But they make all kinds of different size apertures.

Going to aperture sights turned my Henry 22 and Guide Gun 45-70 from nothing but constant frustration to the joy of my rifle shooting experience.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

by the dealer, Collector’s Firearms.
    I am so glad I don't live in metro-Houston, or any other environ that has a "crack house" like that one. When I am down there it is all I can do to force myself to go straight to the airport without detouring in those instances where I have any spare time before my flight.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Thanks.

I remember reading, in the mid-to-late Eighties, IIRC, that Ruger made a run of No. 1 Rifles in .357 Magnum, in response to a request by a group of highway patrol officers; CA, if I recall correctly.
    The CHP guns appear to be specially marked:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/829987600

Name:  Ruger No1 357 CHP engraving - pix830024523.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  37.4 KB

I wasn't aware of the Henry .357 single shots until that GB foray, as I am mostly interested in pistol caliber lever actions with side loading gates. But they do put some decent furniture on them, and the prices are a lot nicer than the Rugers.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The CHP guns appear to be specially marked:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/829987600

Name:  Ruger No1 357 CHP engraving - pix830024523.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  37.4 KB
    That makes sense. The dealer’s images did not show such an engraving, and that part would not matter to me, anyway. I have yet to see the rifle; I will drive to the dealer later this afternoon.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I remember reading, in the mid-to-late Eighties, IIRC, that Ruger made a run of No. 1 Rifles in .357 Magnum, in response to a request by a group of highway patrol officers; CA, if I recall correctly.
    Anybody (@Dagga Boy, or @jetfire, perhaps?) have knowledge of the mission driving this gear train? Seems like it would have been things like putting down animals struck by vehicles as humanely as possible, or something along those lines. Would be interesting to know the story.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Anybody (@Dagga Boy, or @jetfire, perhaps?) have knowledge of the mission driving this gear train? Seems like it would have been things like putting down animals struck by vehicles as humanely as possible, or something along those lines. Would be interesting to know the story.
    I doubt the “gear train” part, as “Association” or “Assn.” indicates non-governmental/official, more like a fraternal order, or union, without using the word “union.” I belonged to the Houston Police Officer’s Association, which morphed to become the Houston Police Officer’s Union, and before it was dissolved, also belonged to the Houston Police Patrolman’s Union. (For a while, the HPPU had more-enthusiastic attorneys, while the HPOA was seen as leaning pro-management.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-01-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

So you're saying it was likely a much cooler version of something like a commemorative belt buckle?
    Not another dime.

User Tag List