Page 73 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Nice. I’m familiar with the concept.

Attachment 38442
    What glass are you running on that? I'm probably going to try glass on mine eventually if nothing else to confirm I don't want it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    What glass are you running on that? I'm probably going to try glass on mine eventually if nothing else to confirm I don't want it.
    Burris 2.75 fixed. Came off my Styer Scout. 2.75x was not enough glass for a .308 bolt gun. I tried conventionally mounted Vortex 1-6 which was ok but there is only one rear ring option for the Styer when using a conventional scope. The styler currently wears an SWFA exclusive Leupold 1.5-5 VX firedot Scout scope. It is nice but noticeably bigger and bulkier than the traditional Leupold 2.5 and Burris 2.75. Vortex has a non illuminated 2-7 Diamond Back Scout scope I’ve heard good things about.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Attachment 38735

Old, antiquated, of limited capacity, smoothed out but a bit slow. Went along again anyway to open things up for the summer.

Now...about the gun!.....
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Do current/recent production Marlin 1894C models in 357 have Ballard or micro groove fucking? Asking for a friend.

Also, how bad were the Winchester 94's in 357 mag? I've heard from a friend that used to do the SASS thing 15 years ago that the 357 Winchester 94's didn't work terribly well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Do current/recent production Marlin 1894C models in 357 have Ballard or micro groove fucking? Asking for a friend.

Also, how bad were the Winchester 94's in 357 mag? I've heard from a friend that used to do the SASS thing 15 years ago that the 357 Winchester 94's didn't work terribly well.
    I'm pretty sure current production 1894 models have ballard rifling. Marlin stopped making the 1894 with micro groove rifling back in say 2005-2006 or so.

I don't know how well the pistol caliber Winchester 94s work, but I always wondered why Winchester developed them when the 1892 works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I'm pretty sure current production 1894 models have ballard rifling. Marlin stopped making the 1894 with micro groove rifling back in say 2005-2006 or so.

I don't know how well the pistol caliber Winchester 94s work, but I always wondered why Winchester developed them when the 1892 works just fine.
    They made the 94 in pistol calibers because the 92 hadnt been in production for years. I think it was the late 60s when they started making Winchester 94s in 44 mag. I do agree the 92 is a better action for pistol calibers, they just werent making them until pretty recently (geologically speaking) in the Miroku guns as far as Winchester goes.

I have no personal experience, but seeing many comments online over time, the 357 seems like the most problematic caliber for the 94 Winchester. Some report no problems, but there are quite a few that have, and the fix hasnt always been simple for whatever ailed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I have no personal experience, but seeing many comments online over time, the 357 seems like the most problematic caliber for the 94 Winchester. Some report no problems, but there are quite a few that have, and the fix hasnt always been simple for whatever ailed them.
    That's basically what my friend told me. Bigger pistol rounds worked ok, the 357 was almost a waste of time. I was hoping he was wrong because I found a really nice 357 mag 94 Trapper yesterday, used.

That's basically what my friend told me. Bigger pistol rounds worked ok, the 357 was almost a waste of time. I was hoping he was wrong because I found a really nice 357 mag 94 Trapper yesterday, used.
    I can’t speak for anyone but myself. I have a 94AE in .357 that runs fine with brass cases .357s. It runs well enough that I’ve shot tactical rifle matches with it. The only problems I’ve ever had were running the aluminum cases Blazer ammo.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

^^^

^^^

I was just going to say if it speaks to you and the price isnt outrageous, buy it. It will either work, or not, and the not may be years down the road, if it ever has any troubles. Id say most probably work fine, the odds are good, but they likely didnt sell a lot of them. If you find out whatever the problematic part(s) may be, and I think the link, the part on the bottom that pivots out with the lever, and its small protrusion that stops the next cartridge from coming out of the magazine, buy a spare if they are around, and drive on. I doubt you would lose money on it in any event.

Also, how bad were the Winchester 94's in 357 mag?
    Terrible.

I had one in the early to mid 90's, it went back to the factory twice and a third time to their field repair depot, it was never right. The problem was in the feed system, the 94 action was designed for rifle cartridges, the 92 for pistol cartridges.

The most common (but not the only) problem was the action would dump an extra round that got lodged under the lifter and tied the gun up in hopeless jam with the action opened, required disassembly to clear. It got to the point where I never went to the range without the two (different sizes) screw drivers required to partially disassemble and clear the inevitable jam.

I would definitely wish one on my enemies.

User Tag List