Page 62 of 178 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Nice. Unfortunately, our anti-gun county Sheriff now must sign NFA trust docs. I probably won't be making any more NFA purchases.
    Is that a state requirement?

Federal law only requires notification to local LE. CLEO signatures have been eliminated for both trusts and individual NFA purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Is that a state requirement?

Federal law only requires notification to local LE. CLEO signatures have been eliminated for both trusts and individual NFA purchases.
    Thanks for pointing that out. That is better than before, but still requires CLEO notification, which I would rather avoid. If there's something I really want, I'll probably do it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. That is better than before, but still requires CLEO notification, which I would rather avoid. If there's something I really want, I'll probably do it.
    Though the 41f changes were bemoaned for adding fingerprint and photo requirements to trusts and in the process, requiring a revision of e file which took it offline for quite a while, the elimination of the arbitrary and capricious CLEO signature requirements is a great improvement.

The CLEO notice is just that, a notice to them. They don’t have any say in the process.

Back when CLEO signatures were still a thing our local, city PD Chief, sheriff and DA had all stopped signing NFA forms but there was an old District Court Judge who was the last one in the county who would sign off. Since only certain types of judges (those who adjudicate felony criminal cases) could sign as a CLEO he received a call from an ATF examiner who was not used to seeing judges sign as CLEOs. As the Judge likes to tell it, he told her, “young lady, if I can sentence someone to death I can sign off on a Form 4 !”

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Those links were great. It's been many years since I perused Paco Kelly's stuff and there's a lot to re-familiarize with. I tend to lean Winchester also however in my most recent example, the Marlin 1894 SBL package wrapped a bunch of things up in the OEM format that I was looking for. Since it's not "traditional" by any stretch an optic is in its future. RDS being pretty likely.
    Im often amused, or amazed, at the reluctance to scope a lever gun. I can see not drilling holes in older, more unusual or collectible guns, but I dont get not using glass or other modern sights if it helps shoot better if its a using or working gun. A red dot or scope are both improvements for most uses. Ive drilled some old stuff, like an original 1886 that needed a receiver sight, it had already been refinished and had spectacular wood added, so I didnt feel too bad about it. It wouldnt bother me to have a older gun with updated optic if it was put to good use, and not just an exercise in being different or shocking traditionalists.

I wouldnt hesitate to drill an older well used 94 for a sight upgrade as needed. I threatened to make a pre-64 94 into an angle eject so I could mount a scope properly. I may do one one day, but I was able to lay hands on an angle eject gun. I think its one of the very best things Winchester did to the 94, and totally eliminates whatever perceived advantage marlins had as far as ease of scoping. Somehow word of the angle ejects coming along in the early 80s seems to have escaped many peoples attention, I still see occasional comments online about how much better marlins are because of how you can mount a scope on them easier. Um, yeah, almost 40 years ago and a couple or so million guns ago they changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    In case anyone wants to learn more from or about Mic McPherson and his contributions to shooting, here is a link to a bunch of his stuff on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...c%29+McPherson
    Thank you. Id like to read more about his lever gun work and ideas.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-11-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Or I'll stick with the 200-240 grain zone for the Marlin. There is a lot of discussion around about the challenge of Marlin's 1:38 twist in .44's stabilizing 300 and heavier slugs.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Interesting such discussion here. Sadly, you have to wade through a bunch of derp to get it.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1.../144597?page=5
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter

Adding a Sling to a M94 - Recommendations?

It was a nasty, rainy day today, so I did the obvious thing - read this thread from beginning to end.

I'm considering adding a sling to my '81 production M94. It'd be a carrying, rather than shooting, sling. The rear swivel would obviously be attached to the buttstock. I've seen front swivels attached to the magazine tube and to the forend band. Does it matter which, and if so, which way is preferable?

Brought this home from Christmas get together - grandpa’s 1969 Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative Winchester 94.

Name:  9D282296-4305-4696-9913-23E3030A2C32.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  46.5 KB

That old box of ammo has 9 rounds in it and I think the other 11 are the total round count. The poor box is shreddded - I don’t think Grandpas concept of preserving the box was quite on point.

The gun itself is in pretty decent shape. The action is pretty sloppy though. The lever and trigger flop around if you shake the gun.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Brought this home from Christmas get together - grandpa’s 1969 Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative Winchester 94.

Name:  9D282296-4305-4696-9913-23E3030A2C32.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  46.5 KB

That old box of ammo has 9 rounds in it and I think the other 11 are the total round count. The poor box is shreddded - I don’t think Grandpas concept of preserving the box was quite on point.

The gun itself is in pretty decent shape. The action is pretty sloppy though. The lever and trigger flop around if you shake the gun.
    Love those half tubes. Wish I'd held on to a certain old half tube 336.
    Last edited by JHC; 01-05-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Daughter #1, 94 Trapper .44 Mag.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List