Page 53 of 178 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

@GuanoLoco

Follow up question to you or anyone, since I've hunted with scout scopes and have disdain for their dawn/dusk light performance, how feasible is a conventionally mounted scope on QD mounts with that XS peep in the way? The Leupold Ultralight 2.5X fixed is economical and has 4.9" of eye relief. It appears this could be tricky. Messing around with ruler in the store is looks borderline but close.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    @GuanoLoco

Follow up question to you or anyone, since I've hunted with scout scopes and have disdain for their dawn/dusk light performance, how feasible is a conventionally mounted scope on QD mounts with that XS peep in the way? The Leupold Ultralight 2.5X fixed is economical and has 4.9" of eye relief. It appears this could be tricky. Messing around with ruler in the store is looks borderline but close.
    I’ve only messed with the Weaver 1x3 for that type of thing. I have one on a 30-30 with a DNZ mount and another on a 16” 300 AAC AR on a fixed Vortex cantilever scope mount. Both are intended for relatively close (30-75 yard) deer hunting roles in hilly, brushy mixed pine/deciduous terrain.

I’ve never messed with a QD mount for this but I don’t see why not with the rails. It’s not a bad idea - a quality one would theoretically return to zero. On the down side the rail+mount will add to your height over bore when compared to a dedicated mount like the DNZ.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 12-03-2018 at 05:41 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

@GuanoLoco

Hey man, have you considered a red dot for that role? As soon as I get out from under my winter time reloading, one of my next gun related projects is going to be mounting a red dot on my 336.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Hey man, have you considered a red dot for that role? As soon as I get out from under my winter time reloading, one of my next gun related projects is going to be mounting a red dot on my 336.
    I have a pile of red dots, I’m just a little blind and prefer the ability to drive a higher level of precision and considence in my shot placement.

Even at 1X I feel like I do better than with a red dot.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 12-03-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Oh yeah. Thinking of both options. QD mounts for each. For the woods hunting a low powered scope would be handy but not mandatory.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    F^%&*K Yea!

Finally, a manufacturer is on my channel!

I'd prefer the .44Mag but I already have a Multi-Cal 9mm suppressor that would work for the .38/.357 model.
    Dawsonville Gun got theirs tricked out.

Attachment 32941

Site Supporter
    Picked one of these 1894 SBL .44s up Saturday and only fired a few shots through it yesterday. It looks very well put together and cycles snick snick smooth through just a small amount of shooting.
    I cut the shake down shoot short because the dag gum set screws of the XS peep were so tight I broke off the tip of one screwdriver and then spun the shaft in the handle of two others!
    Once I got home I got a bigger one and managed to break one loose so I could "spin" the rear peep up a bit.

POI was good for windage but low for elevation by a few inches at 25 yards.

The thick recoil pad really makes this one shoot soft vs my son's .44 Marlin.
    Oh man I’ve been drooling over this too.

What are people’s thoughts re: 357 vs 44 in a lever gun? Does the 44 provide any significant improvement in terminal ballistics either for deer or in a self defense role?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Oh man I’ve been drooling over this too.

What are people’s thoughts re: 357 vs 44 in a lever gun? Does the 44 provide any significant improvement in terminal ballistics either for deer or in a self defense role?
    I've been weighing exactly that and concluded if I buy a pistol caliber lever action, it will likely be a .357. I would use it for deer hunting on my property, where ranges would rarely exceed fifty yards or so. Since I already load and stock components for .357 I feel that the ballistic advantage of the .44 for deer isn't worth adding to my supply chain. Veral Smith has hunted elk with .357 with a levergun, and there are people who do it with .44 Mag lever guns, but I get so few shot oppurtunities at elk every year, I'll be toting something else if I ever do any more elk hunting with modern firearms.

For self defense, I think .357 is "more than enough" and .44 is "even more."
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

A good .357 out of a lever gun is a different animal. You can get well over 2000fps with 158 grains.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    A good .357 out of a lever gun is a different animal. You can get well over 2000fps with 158 grains.
    As far as self defense goes, are there any .357 bullets that perform well at those speeds? I would ASSume that the vast majority are designed to expand at pistol speeds, not rifle speeds. According to Ballistics By the Inch, the MV difference between a 3” bbl and a 16” bbl is nearly double.
    David S.

User Tag List