Page 52 of 178 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Yes. It’s a “5P” IIRC. Yea, I know...that and the Lyman have been around for years, but it takes away from the lines of the gun. Unfortunately, my eyeballs could use the help. It’s an early 50s so its not an AE and its tapped.

I tossed it in the truck on Monday, tucked it between the console and the seat. Looked perfectly at home. No rails, lights, BUIS, just utility.

Yea...I’ve started looking around for some lighter weight jacketed if my deams of the great buffalo hunter fail. Lol

5P or 5D?

I use the Lymans mostly, but started buying the 56s before they became collectible. Neat looking old sights. The current Lyman 66s arent too bad. I used them before discovering the 56s.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    5D. My bad.

I’ll have to keep an eye out for a 56.

Marlin 336Y

Digging up this thread since there are quite a few knowledgeable folks here on lever guns-

I’m about set to buy a thirty thirty Marlin 336, is there any reason to choose another model than the 336Y? I’m five seven, 160, so I think it would be sized decently. Usage would be for deer and just as a general purpose woods gun in the South East. Potentially interested in scoping it, my understanding is the 336’s are drilled and tapped for scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    Digging up this thread since there are quite a few knowledgeable folks here on lever guns-

I’m about set to buy a thirty thirty Marlin 336, is there any reason to choose another model than the 336Y? I’m five seven, 160, so I think it would be sized decently. Usage would be for deer and just as a general purpose woods gun in the South East. Potentially interested in scoping it, my understanding is the 336’s are drilled and tapped for scopes.
    If you handled it and it wasn't uncomfortably short I think you'll love it. I like shortish stocks on fast handling carbines, especially when one is layered up in deer season. It's been cold in the Chattahoochee NF lately.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Suggestion: Quality (DNZ) scope mount. Note theire are multiple heights available and you want the lowest you can get away with. Stay away from the cheap-o see-through mounts.

https://www.amazon.com/Dednutz-Mount...36+scope+mount

Name:  41De-bVUwCL.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  17.9 KB

Suggestion: Weaver 1x3 scope, IMHO worth the $. For my eyes this greatly improves the utility (precision first, accuracy second) of the 30-30, even at a 1x setting. Yes, it adds a little weight and may not be quite as fast even at 1X but it works well for my needs (I usually have more time, desire to make a more precise shot and weight isn’t an issue).

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-V-3-1-...aver+1x3+scope

Name:  31NRBBoG76L.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  13.7 KB
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I'm 6'3" and my main squeeze is a 20" 336c. Everytime I pickup a 336Y I wish I had it instead. Just haven't gotten around to that project yet, but it will happen.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Well alright then . . .

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...in-lever-guns/

Threaded barrels plus, "Other features on the new Marlin lever guns include XS Sight Systems ghost ring sights, big loop levers, and weather resistant stainless steel finishes. Besides the 38/357 chamberings, Marlin is making the new carbines available in .44 Special/.44 Magnum."
    Picked one of these 1894 SBL .44s up Saturday and only fired a few shots through it yesterday. It looks very well put together and cycles snick snick smooth through just a small amount of shooting.
    I cut the shake down shoot short because the dag gum set screws of the XS peep were so tight I broke off the tip of one screwdriver and then spun the shaft in the handle of two others!
    Once I got home I got a bigger one and managed to break one loose so I could "spin" the rear peep up a bit.

POI was good for windage but low for elevation by a few inches at 25 yards.

The thick recoil pad really makes this one shoot soft vs my son's .44 Marlin.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-03-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

F^%&*K Yea!

Finally, a manufacturer is on my channel!

I'd prefer the .44Mag but I already have a Multi-Cal 9mm suppressor that would work for the .38/.357 model.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    F^%&*K Yea!

Finally, a manufacturer is on my channel!

I'd prefer the .44Mag but I already have a Multi-Cal 9mm suppressor that would work for the .38/.357 model.
    My LGS also had the threaded barrel .357 model handy but an employee there had snagged it to M-Lok the fore end and really trick it out; with a light I presume. They ain't cheap.

User Tag List