Page 50 of 177 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I visit several forums. I can honestly say this one is the most expensive.....

Adding to this thread because it seems to be the longest running....

I'm about to acquire a Winchester 94 trapper in 44 Mag. This is one of the 100th anniversary guns marked 1894-1994. Main reason I'm acquiring it is because Dad had one exactly like it when I was in my early teens and it was one of my favorite things to shoot. Then he traded it in on something else....

Anyway, I'm about to take a trip down memory lane. I know there's plenty of folks that say the 94 is not great as a pistol caliber rifle. I'm totally cool with that as this is a nostalgia piece for me mostly.

That said, do any of the lever gun experts have any advice or tips/tricks for this particular rifle before I start shooting it?
    Last edited by Jared; 04-19-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Some of these have had feeding issues but am not implying that they all do. You might ask the owner to let you run ammo through the action to check for tis occurrence. As you know, this procedure is the one and only way to unload the carbine so asking for the privilege to do so is not unreasonable. Once I had one in .45 Colt that the factory could not make run without hanging up. These are outstanding carbines. Usually with handgun caliber carbines, oal and bullet shape are critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Adding to this thread because it seems to be the longest running....

I'm about to acquire a Winchester 94 trapper in 44 Mag. This is one of the 100th anniversary guns marked 1894-1994. Main reason I'm acquiring it is because Dad had one exactly like it when I was in my early teens and it was one of my favorite things to shoot. Then he traded it in on something else....

Anyway, I'm about to take a trip down memory lane. I know there's plenty of folks that say the 94 is not great as a pistol caliber rifle. I'm totally cool with that as this is a nostalgia piece for me mostly.

That said, do any of the lever gun experts have any advice or tips/tricks for this particular rifle before I start shooting it?
    I havent studied the matter closely, but I believe the one part thats problematic in pistol calibers for the 94 is the link, the part that pivots out the bottom of the frame, draws the locking bolt out, pivots the lever, and has the cartridge stop on the forward end of it. The small bit that functions as the cartridge stop is what can cause problems. I dont know if the 44s have the problems, I believe the 357s were more problematic for whatever reason, possible due to the small diameter of the cartridges. I think its also partly due to the small amount of difference in diameter of the shell base and rim diameter. The less rim to work with compared to shell body, the finer fitted it has to be. The 30-30 class of cartridges had enough rim that they work very well for the most part.

Do you have a small triangular ceramic file/stone? Brownells has them. The edges of the link in later guns can be sharp. A general toning down of the edges can help. The one thing many later guns truly need a bit of work on is the loading gate. When loaded, the rim goes behind the front edge of the gate just slightly. The burrs and rough surface of the back of the gate can make it difficult to load more rounds in. It shouldnt be hard, and one shouldnt have to resort to not feeding each round all the way in the get their gun loaded. If well polished on the bevel on the inside forward part of the gate, it makes loading easy. All the older 94s Ive had loaded slick as can be no matter how many rounds were in the magazine already. Anything less than that is unacceptable to me. Its not hard to do, the biggest thing is getting the screw started back in without cross-threading it. A while back I posted pics of the gate and part that needs polishing on most later guns, if you dont see it, I'll post it again.

Ive sat with them and felt all the edges. the triggers can be rough or sharp edged, back or sides of the hammer spur, front top edge of the bolt, edges of the receiver around the loading gate, edges of the lever, muzzle, front edge of magazine cap, can all use a little attention from the ceramic stone some times. Its unfortunately one of the things the newer guns seem to have missed getting attention on. The actions seem fairly slick feeling otherwise. If you have the bolt out, polishing the edges of the bolt and inside edges of the receiver where the bolt rides doesnt hurt. and makes them feel better yet when cycling.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-19-2018 at 09:10 PM.

I have a 94 Trapper in .44 Mag that I inherited from my dad. I don’t have a lot of rounds through it, but no issues so far...

I removed the crossbolt safety and plugged the holes. Also added XS ghost ring sights.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    My ‘94:

If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Now that is a nice rifle. Would you like to trade it for a S&W....?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive sat with them and felt all the edges. the triggers can be rough or sharp edged, back or sides of the hammer spur, front top edge of the bolt, edges of the receiver around the loading gate, edges of the lever, muzzle, front edge of magazine cap, can all use a little attention from the ceramic stone some times. Its unfortunately one of the things the newer guns seem to have missed getting attention on. The actions seem fairly slick feeling otherwise. If you have the bolt out, polishing the edges of the bolt and inside edges of the receiver where the bolt rides doesnt hurt. and makes them feel better yet when cycling.
    This general approach works wonders on revolvers, too, and is a strong argument in favor of stainless guns.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    This general approach works wonders on revolvers, too, and is a strong argument in favor of stainless guns.
    It does help revolvers, though I wont go so far as to give stainless any more credit than necessary. I just live with the shiny edges and call it good, or cold blue the spots with Brownells oxpho blue, all the while thinking "sure glad its not stainless..."

Ive wondered if the urge to keep sharp edges in check are part of why I dont mind grooved triggers. A few have needed to have sharp edges and spots on the grooved face cleaned up, but overall, I like grooved triggers.

User Tag List