Page 48 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Ignoring the customer base is never a good business model. It just happens that they make the best (and best looking) lever guns in that price range and I suspect that most people don't really care how the rounds get into the gun.

Maybe I'm missing something but is there a reason you couldn't have a loading gate and load it in the tube?
    Which customer base are they ignoring exactly? The one that want American made lever actions at a ‘reasonable’ price or the one that wants loading gates? Which is larger?

There’s less machining, parts, and fitting involved to have a loading port in the tube be a loading gate.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    So in a battle between nice guns with a manual of arms that's been obsolete for 120 years and guns that should be nice but are mostly junk, quality wins. Got it.
    The numbers don’t lie regardless of one’s opinion.
    Julius Caesar

The great John Farnam says, “Lever action rifles became obsolete after John M. Browning invented the first self-loading rifle.”

When you appreciate lever action rifles for what they are, and understand that while they may be adequate for self defense or hunting, they aren’t an AR. And no loading gate will change that. Plus, it would be quite a sentinel event for a civilian self defense scenario to exceed the capacity of a tube Fed Henry.

I have both loading gate guns and a Henry. And if I was going somewhere cold, I’d opt for the Henry, since there are less places for moisture to permeate into the receiver.

civiliandefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    The great John Farnam says, “Lever action rifles became obsolete after John M. Browning invented the first self-loading rifle.”

When you appreciate lever action rifles for what they are, and understand that while they may be adequate for self defense or hunting, they aren’t an AR. And no loading gate will change that. Plus, it would be quite a sentinel event for a civilian self defense scenario to exceed the capacity of a tube Fed Henry.

I have both loading gate guns and a Henry. And if I was going somewhere cold, I’d opt for the Henry, since there are less places for moisture to permeate into the receiver.

civiliandefender.com
    The desire to top off and reload firearms comes from high volume training classes more so than from actual events in which private citizens participated. I carry spare ammo as an option for malfunction clearing and/or administrative reloading or topping off, not because I figure I'm going to have to shoot the gun dry again!
    Julius Caesar

Lever Guns

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-12-2018 at 06:03 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    If one is selecting a lever gun for serious purposes, such as for use in a ban state, my understanding is that reloading a lever gun in the middle of a fight is not going to be fun regardless. So, a reliable pistol caliber model with as many cartridges in the magazine as possible would be preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Isn't an armed confrontation with those guys close to getting struck by lightning statistically?
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Isn't an armed confrontation with those guys close to getting struck by lightning statistically?
    I sure hope so. But, I’ve had some creepy things happen in the OR backcountry. E.g convoy of vehicles driving at speed in a place you wouldn’t expect to see many folks. I prefer to be prepared.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

See, I would just opt for a semi rifle it that was the threat profile for the area. If people asked, “why,” I needed a MSR for hiking/mountaineering, I’d refer them to the cartel action. Lord knows the cartel won’t have manually operated long guns!

civiliandefender.com

I sure hope so. But, I’ve had some creepy things happen in the OR backcountry. E.g convoy of vehicles driving at speed in a place you wouldn’t expect to see many folks. I prefer to be prepared.
    I've not seen anything like that in my area, although there are rumors of such shenanigans in middle and south Georgia. All I can offer are anecdotes based on my personal experiences, should anyone care to hear them.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List