Page 40 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Have you measured your LoP? That would go a long way towards answering your own question. Alternatively you could measure the LoP of a rifle that you know fits you well.
    I did measure my LOP, after reading up on the subject. Luckily, I got ahold of CDNN, first thing on Monday, and switched my order to a grade 1 bl-22, instead of the micro midas, it showed up at my LGS today, it's a sweetheart, and fits me pretty well, I had a grade 2, bl-22 about 35 yrs ago..got hard up for cash, and sold it, I've regretted it ever since.. Took me awhile but I finally got another one..And unlike the Browning BAR-22 I have, parts are easily found for bl-22's.
    Last edited by ralph; 12-07-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    For here in Ohio, with non-people tasks, I’m starting to agree with one caveat- 45-70, 45 colt, and 44mag levers can be bad for far cheaper than .357 mag.

For our deer rifles we’re limited to straight walled cartridges, .35cal on up, and that’s just recently added.

For people purposes I’ll stick with 9mm Luger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The guns may be cheaper, but the ammo certainly isn’t. Hence the popularity of the 357.

Site Supporter

Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The guns may be cheaper, but the ammo certainly isn’t. Hence the popularity of the 357.
    Touché . Kind of like 9vs40 leo trade ins of today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeep45238; 12-08-2017 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you reload for both .357, and .44mag, the ammo costs really,really go down. In my case, I reload for both calibers. So, the above argument really dosen't hold water for me...

How bad are the Winchester 45-70 1886's with no recoil pads to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I have one with the cresent buttplate they look cool, but aren't alot of fun to shoot without some sort of padding. I have a recoil pad that I slip on over my shoulder and it helps alot.

Which variation? If the Extra-light with shotgun butt and half magazine, they are great, the shotgun (flat) butt being the best style for shooting, if a model with crescent butt, I dont like them at all, but are somewhat tolerable for mild loads. I had the crescent chopped off a Browning 1886 rifle and a flat pad put on it, and would do the same on a current or recent Winchester, or trade the stock for a shotgun butt. The 1886 Browning carbines arent bad, with the carbine type slightly curved steel butt plate. Not sure if Winchester did any carbine butt models in recent versions of the 1886.

There are two different types on CDNN right now.

There are two different types on CDNN right now.
    Looks like they both have crescent butts. If it were me, Id go for the short rifle rather than the too short "trapper". There were a couple of the 86 lightweights on gunbroker a short time ago, one or more were in the same general price range. I dont recall details of any reserves or buy now prices, was sort of doing a driveby after seeing the question about them earlier.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I swung by Ranger Point Precision this afternoon and suggested they make a direct mount adapter for an Aimpoint Micro on the Marlin 1894, kinda like the Aridus 1301 Tactical mount. The owner seemed not to have thought of that before, but acknowledged it could be a good product idea. If you would be interested in such a product, this might be a good time to call, email, or stop by if you're local.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List