Page 3 of 177 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

First couple pics are of the loading gate from a Winchester 94. The shiny part was polished to deburr and slick up the surface. That surface rides against the rim of the shell thats was either just loaded or next to feed. The angled surface cams the shell forward slightly to load another round. The rib along the back edge can also stand a little cleaning up on many of them. It doesnt take much, just remove most of the tool marks from the first part indicated (circled), and mainly deburr the rib father back (from the arrow back). Pre-war 94's load slick as can be. The finish on that part is all I can really tell is different as far as loading the magazine.

The toughest part of removing and replacing the loading gate is getting the screw back in square. The gate is bent for spring tension, and getting the screw started straight is the most important thing. I sometimes let the front of the gate get slightly out of its hole until I get the screw started a couple threads, then push it into place and finish torquing the screw carefully. They are small fine threads, dont get carried way torquing. I've been able to get the gate out and back in without taking the action aprt. if youre going to slick up the lever, then do the gate when its apart. Its easier to get the rear part of the gate in place for the screw to start straight. 94's arent hard to take apart once you know the basic procedure. I had my first one at about 13 or 14 and figured it out pretty quickly in the pre-youtube days of the '70's.

To help them close easier on an empty chamber, polishing the front edge of the lever, and the little bump at the front forward edge help.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Funny you mention Chiappa levers, I saw one of their lever "pistols" the other day, and now I have this ridiculous desire to SBR one.
    You and me both.
    #RESIST

For the niche of the 30-30 lever, I think a reasonable argument can be made the small CZ bolt in 7.62x39 is a better choice.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If someone routinely wants to carry a loaded chamber, I don't think a lever gun is a great choice, since neither the safety nor the half cock are very desirable.
    And that's where I've been for many years. Still though, I've always loved LA's, and revisit the concept every couple of years to see if I can make it work. Shooting a 336 yesterday, with just the original rifle sights on it, was much better than I remember. It was hard to miss deer vitals out to 150 or so, and it was fast.

Malamute,

Thanks very much for the tutorial. I'll have to see if someone will let me experiment on their gun:-)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    And that's where I've been for many years. Still though, I've always loved LA's, and revisit the concept every couple of years to see if I can make it work. Shooting a 336 yesterday, with just the original rifle sights on it, was much better than I remember. It was hard to miss deer vitals out to 150 or so, and it was fast.

Malamute,

Thanks very much for the tutorial. I'll have to see if someone will let me experiment on their gun:-)
    The flip side is, if the question is what can a person carry that weighs six pounds, is flat and nearly as short as a 14 inch shotgun, and can defend against the largest bears in Alaska, the Marlin Guide Gun wins that hands down.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I prefer bolts or semiautos, but seem to have several leverguns around.
    My first gun was a Browning BL-22.
    I have a Savage 99G takedown in .300 Savage (1928 mfg), a Winchester 1895 SRC in .30 Army (.30-40 Krag, 1910 mfg), a Winchester 1892 (1905 mfg) that had been converted to .357 sometime before I bought it, a Browning 71 .348 Win, and a Marlin 1895S .45-70. I traded off a Marlin 1894FG .41 Mag not too long ago.

I have a few lever actions. Three Winchester 94's and a BLR. I've never been concerned with carrying the '94 with a loaded chamber on half cock. The lever has to be pulled up tight to the receiver even on full cock to fire. Anytime I'm not in the woods it's carried chamber empty.

Comparing it to newer guns is disingenuous. It is a 122 year old design after all... I prefer the 94 action over most others as it can be 'combat loaded' much like a pump action shotgun. I've shot both my .357 and .30-30 in tactical rifle matches. It requires a bit more thought when running through 'run-and-gun' scenarios. The idea of making your shots count really comes to the forefront.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Here's a few pics of my 1894.

The hammer extension is a must IMO, even if you aren't using a scope. Gives much more control.

A pic with some of my other long guns that don't get used since I found this forum. Shotgun is 12.5", Bushy is 10.25" and the Marlin is 20". The Aimpoint micro with the standard riser would be a permanent addition to the Marlin if I shot it more.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 08-30-2015 at 01:41 PM.

For the niche of the 30-30 lever, I think a reasonable argument can be made the small CZ bolt in 7.62x39 is a better choice.
    I agree, a reasonable argument can be made for the little CZ's. I had one in 223, and had trouble adjusting to some of its idiosyncrasies and ended up selling it. Purely my problem, not the guns.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post

Malamute,

No problem.

The flip side is, if the question is what can a person carry that weighs six pounds, is flat and nearly as short as a 14 inch shotgun, and can defend against the largest bears in Alaska, the Marlin Guide Gun wins that hands down.
    The Marlins are great guns, and fit that description well. I found that I tended to carry the 86 carbine more after I got it, though its a bit longer and heavier than the Guide Guns. I dont have the thick stuff like you have to deal with or i may have chosen differently. The 86 carbine ends up being the same length as a 94 carbine and weighs a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I have a few lever actions. Three Winchester 94's and a BLR. I've never been concerned with carrying the '94 with a loaded chamber on half cock. The lever has to be pulled up tight to the receiver even on full cock to fire. Anytime I'm not in the woods it's carried chamber empty.

Comparing it to newer guns is disingenuous. It is a 122 year old design after all... I prefer the 94 action over most others as it can be 'combat loaded' much like a pump action shotgun. I've shot both my .357 and .30-30 in tactical rifle matches. It requires a bit more thought when running through 'run-and-gun' scenarios. The idea of making your shots count really comes to the forefront.
    The trigger block that the lever pushes does stop the trigger from being pulled, but in the case of dropping the gun and shearing the sear notch or trigger tip, it wont help. Some have stronger springs than others. Many think of them as like a grip safety on a 1911, but I dont think that was the original intent (though they seem to have morphed into one). On older 94's, once the lever is closed, the block stays pushed in. Its mainly to keep it from firing out of battery I believe.

I'm less concerned about a round in the chamber if its in my hand, I carry a light round in the chamber if bird hunting or in snake country, but if I set it down or get in a vehicle, I tend towards an empty chamber.

Name:  IMG_0473.jpg
Views: 3360
Size:  84.1 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-30-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've got two Grizzly Custom lever guns I've been wanting to sell, you guys are making me question. Damn.

User Tag List