Page 24 of 178 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

I prefer a no ear sight picture, but after my wife's .375 slid in the back of the land cruiser in Zimbabwe, and knocked the front sight off, I have been a fan.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I prefer a no ear sight picture, but after my wife's .375 slid in the back of the land cruiser in Zimbabwe, and knocked the front sight off, I have been a fan.
    How would the wings have prevented that?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    How would the wings have prevented that?
    The rifle would have landed on the protective ear, and not hit the front sight, moving it in the dovetail. I have a long gun, forgetting whether it is an 870 or lever gun, with a bent protective ear from a field trauma, but a straight front sight.

Brockman didn't start out with protective ears on his front sights on bolt and lever guns, but added them after our African experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The rifle would have landed on the protective ear, and not hit the front sight, moving it in the dovetail. I have a long gun, forgetting whether it is an 870 or lever gun, with a bent protective ear from a field trauma, but a straight front sight.

Brockman didn't start out with protective ears on his front sights on bolt and lever guns, but added them after our African experience.
    I get that you have a gun with a bent ear and a straight sight, but I don't know that that means the same would have happened in your wife's case. It might have, and I wasn't there, so I'm not trying to monday morning qb it, just that I think there are a lot of factors that go into these things and many are out of our control and observation. I might certainly be wrong, and you may have the issue solved.

In either case, this .357 is a fun gun, nothing serious. On my serious guns, I remove the front sight altogether. Solves that issue nicely.

Site Supporter
    SLG, that is a very cool lever gun. Love the tapered forestock.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Ok, thanks. I will have to try them out sometime.

If you have other articles that you can link to online, I'm sure that would be appreciated by more than just me.
    Well, I have always felt a bit awkward about anything that seems too much like self-promotion so I really slow-play that stuff but if people would want to see it, I'm always happy to offer the content I have. The web edition is something like two months behind the print edition but there's always plenty of stuff on it that I could maybe put in one thread somewhere if people were interested.

In the meantime, did I ever mention the Savage 99 article? I'll bring it up here because it's also a lever, obviously.

This is one of my personal favourites.

http://calibremag.ca/the-99-arthur-savages-masterpiece/
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Well, I have always felt a bit awkward about anything that seems too much like self-promotion so I really slow-play that stuff but if people would want to see it, I'm always happy to offer the content I have. The web edition is something like two months behind the print edition but there's always plenty of stuff on it that I could maybe put in one thread somewhere if people were interested.

In the meantime, did I ever mention the Savage 99 article? I'll bring it up here because it's also a lever, obviously.

This is one of my personal favourites.

http://calibremag.ca/the-99-arthur-savages-masterpiece/
    I would love to have a .358win 99.

The video at the link but the bottom line is a Winchester 94 take down model available in among other calibers, .450 Marlin.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun...s-end-takedown
    Last edited by JHC; 01-19-2016 at 08:46 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The video at the link but the bottom line is a Winchester 94 take down model available in among other calibers, .450 Marlin.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun...s-end-takedown
    Good find!

Wish they made it in .45-70, logistics etc...
    I have not seen good reliability fro .450 Marlins by Marlin when first produced. Something to do with a belted non rimmed case vs. a rimmed case .45-70 maybe ?

User Tag List