Page 23 of 178 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Had one for testing, along with a colour case blued cowboy version, both in 44. AWESOME.

http://calibremag.ca/chiappa-lever-guns-reviewed/

Not sure why that article is credited to Dan though. I'm responsible for it, sadly.
    Good article, thanks for the link. Well written and pretty informative.

I have used Skinner sights for many years, but not the barrel mounted kind. How did you find them compared to a more traditional peep or ghost ring?

SLG, probably not an issue in lower 48. I know when my wife harvested a brown bear with a Guide Gun, and I backed her up with my Guide Gun, we both fired a few shots, both topped off a few more, fired more, and topped off again. I like that the Marlin stays in a firing position as you top off.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    SLG, probably not an issue in lower 48. I know when my wife harvested a brown bear with a Guide Gun, and I backed her up with my Guide Gun, we both fired a few shots, both topped off a few more, fired more, and topped off again. I like that the Marlin stays in a firing position as you top off.
    Everyone has different preferences. As I think I've said before, LA's are just not the serious tool for me, that they can be for others.

I'm not writing off the 45-70 in anyway, as I'm actually going to start loading for it, but I'm leaning towards a 45Colt as a do everything LA. If Ruger 45C loads are capable of taking Cape Buffalo, I'm sure that out of a LA, those loads will approach 45-70 power. Lighter bullet, sure, but not sure what they couldn't handle on any continent if that's the case.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Good article, thanks for the link. Well written and pretty informative.

I have used Skinner sights for many years, but not the barrel mounted kind. How did you find them compared to a more traditional peep or ghost ring?
    Hey, thanks very much. I'm really happy you found it worthwhile.

I found them quick as hell, although I have to admit that unlike a lot of people here, I don't think I'm super particular about sights. I'm not sure whether I'd notice a major difference between this and a lot of ghost rings. Definitely faster than any traditional peep sight I have used. I didn't spend a ton of time trying to wring out precision, though, so I can't comment too intelligently on the relative strengths and weaknesses of the skinner that was on there.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Hey, thanks very much. I'm really happy you found it worthwhile.

I found them quick as hell, although I have to admit that unlike a lot of people here, I don't think I'm super particular about sights. I'm not sure whether I'd notice a major difference between this and a lot of ghost rings. Definitely faster than any traditional peep sight I have used. I didn't spend a ton of time trying to wring out precision, though, so I can't comment too intelligently on the relative strengths and weaknesses of the skinner that was on there.
    Ok, thanks. I will have to try them out sometime.

If you have other articles that you can link to online, I'm sure that would be appreciated by more than just me.

Let's see a picture of it.

I know of some guys in Wyoming who were supposedly, very successfully shooting elk with .357 lever guns, using LBT cast bullets. Sort of a mini Guide Gun/Garrett set-up.
    You know I'm hypocritical, in that I love seeing (and asking for) photos, but I rarely post my own guns. Here is the David Clay that I gave my wife as a present a few years ago. He did an amazing job. His lever is the best sized and shaped I've ever used. Might be hard to tell from the pics, but he reshaped the wood to taper nicely and it not only fits the hand reallt well, it looks amazing. His attention to detail is really beyond the norm. He really made this gun into a great present, and though I won't show it, he engraved it to her for me as well. I like Skinner sights and Brockman sights, but these are David's own sights from XS. The bluing looks like old school Smith bluing as well. Just stunning in person, yet very basic and functional.

Name:  20160118_164502.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  67.1 KBName:  20160118_164705.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  23.3 KB
    Last edited by SLG; 01-18-2016 at 06:00 PM.

That is a beautiful rifle, I am sure she loved it.

May it bring her many years of happy service.

Site Supporter
    Wow. That is a beautiful carbine. I've been back and forth over the years on a 1894 Marlin vs a 1892 clone of some sort in .357. I have those sights on my 1895 Guide gun. they work well.

Beautiful lever, only suggestion might be protective ears on the front sight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Beautiful lever, only suggestion might be protective ears on the front sight.
    I'm not really a fan of ears. Unfortunately, though this was a legit present for the wife, I do shoot LA's a bit more than she does, so some of my preferences were factored in. She has not found them worth changing yet. Maybe down the road though.

User Tag List