Page 2 of 177 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

So...no thoughts on the safety vs. the half cock?

I would like a 41 mag Marlin one of these days.

Pretty much what Mal said.

The safety is good if you want to dry fire, and protect the firing pin, but I disable them for field use. I carry condition three in the field, until on an animal or feeling threatened.

Favorite is a Marlin .45-70 cut to 16.25 barrel and a short LOP. Like the Marlin 30-30 as a sub caliber trainer for the 45-70, but it seems to heavy for 30-30. For all around, I prefer the pre-64 Winchester in 30-30 to the Marlin. Don't like the pistol cartridge levers, that I have tried, as they don't feed as well as the rifle cartridges. Plus they have a useful range of about 100 yards less.

A shortened Guide Gun has an incredible ratio of power to weight and length.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

And this brings me to one reason why I never choose a levergun for anything serious. I like to carry chamber loaded. I do so on everything. The manual of arms for a LA is not nearly as clean as with other designs. Not easy to unload and restage after you have loaded the chamber. Maybe less so with the Winchesters, but certainly not the Marlins.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 3506
Size:  100.8 KB

Trapper 94 AE in .45 Colt, no safety. I like the half cock but the crossbolt safety wouldn't bother me. I haven't had any issue with leaving the rifle loaded while hunting. It's a cool gun I was happy to find, it pairs well with my 25 or Blackhawk convertible.
    Last edited by vaspence; 08-29-2015 at 11:20 PM.

The Benelli M2 is particularly handy for loading and unloading the chamber.

I probably feel best about the model 70, with the safety in the back position locking the bolt, for chambered carry. That said, up here in Alaska between traveling as a pack of three, and in and out of planes and boats, we carry condition three unless stalking game or threatened. Although, in the tent at night, we have a loaded chamber on the long gun.

We have discussed this, and I respect both sides of the argument on chamber carry. That is just the practice my wife and I have settled on. Pretty common with many locals here.

My second most favorite lever gun photo:

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    And this brings me to one reason why I never choose a levergun for anything serious. I like to carry chamber loaded. I do so on everything. The manual of arms for a LA is not nearly as clean as with other designs. Not easy to unload and restage after you have loaded the chamber. Maybe less so with the Winchesters, but certainly not the Marlins.
    Chamber loaded with the half cock safeties is a matter of preference. It is possible for one to fire if dropped or struck hard on the hammer, shearing the trigger or sear notch. I tend not to have a round chambered when in vehicles no matter what. With a dog(s) in the vehicle most of the time, I prefer that, as well as the possibility of a wreck. Just me. If things look interesting, like the dogs on high alert looking at the thick stuff nearby, I'll chamber a round.

I do agree about the Winchester type action being easier to clear the chamber, and is one reason I tend to prefer them. The action can be run slowly enough to eject the chambered round without raising the carrier (lifter), or if its raised, it can be pushed back down with the little finger and the action closed. This is my practice when using small game loads, leaving the mag loaded and single loading the light loads. Theres a part that can be polished a bit to help closing the action after having it open and not chambering a round.

Many of the 1960s and later Winchester 94's can be tough to load when theres rounds in the magazine. Some think its "normal" to have to empty it to load more. Many dont push the rounds all the way in until the last one has been loaded, thinking its the only way to get them loaded. with a properly functioning gun, it shouldnt be a problem to top them off at any time. The 86's are slick as can be to load or top off, the 92's are usually OK. Older 94's are also very slick to load, I never leave the rounds not fully pushed in. If they are balky, they can be fixed pretty easily. The rib on the back of the loading gate and the small camming surface at the back front edge is generally the problem and can be polished and generally deal with it. If anyone wants to know how, I'll explain and send them pics.

I'm curious to see the pics and explanation, if you don't mind. My guns don't have that problem, but I know of some that do.

In a vehicle, my long guns are chamber empty as well, unless it's being used as a weapon, and in my hand. Really only applies to M4's for me.

As VAspence said, he hasn't had any trouble with the half cock, but the issue is that they can shear and discharge when you least expect it. There are at least a few guys in the literature who have been killed or injured from dropping their guns on half cock.

Do you want me to just post the pics here or PM them?

If someone routinely wants to carry a loaded chamber, I don't think a lever gun is a great choice, since neither the safety nor the half cock are very desirable.

User Tag List