Page 19 of 178 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Anybody have recommendations on a good all around 30/30 round? 150, 180, bullet type? I noted it was relatively cheap and plentiful at Walmart with both Remington and Winchester,
    I prefer the 170's usually, but it probably doesn't matter much. I don't know that I've used the remington, but the Winchester seems to work well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Anybody have recommendations on a good all around 30/30 round? 150, 180, bullet type? I noted it was relatively cheap and plentiful at Walmart with both Remington and Winchester,
    I like the 170s also, Darryl, and treat them like .22 LR ammo: buy several different brands and see which one shoots best.

As for the reloading, I can teach you.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I prefer the 170's as a general purpose round.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I settled on the Federal 170 soft point (cheapo version, available widely) as functioning well and being accurate in two pre-64 Model 94 and a Marlin 336.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post

As for the reloading, I can teach you.
    Start him out on a Lee single stage… make him earn it.

I am waiting for a upcoming feature article in Reloading Magazine, under the nom de plume, "lever-eti," entitled "living the reloading for lever guns" lifestyle.

Winchester 170 grain PowerPoints for me. A good nexus of price, accuracy and availability in my Marlin. Although... I'm in-between shotguns and for now, the Marlin is my home defense long gun. I've gone to Federal's 3030C, a lighter-constructed 125 JHP they intend for varmints and light game, for inside duty.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am waiting for a upcoming feature article in Reloading Magazine, under the nom de plume, "lever-eti," entitled "living the reloading for lever guns" lifestyle.
    My life is one big tax write off...;-)

Quote Originally Posted by SMD View Post
    Winchester 170 grain PowerPoints for me. A good nexus of price, accuracy and availability in my Marlin. Although... I'm in-between shotguns and for now, the Marlin is my home defense long gun. I've gone to Federal's 3030C, a lighter-constructed 125 JHP they intend for varmints and light game, for inside duty.
    They had those at Walmart. Walmart available ammo is a desireable criteria.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    I like the 150gr soft point for dogs, pigs and what not, I find on heart lung shots they expand quite well and leave a large exit wound. They will kill just about anything you're likely to run into if you can place your shot right.

If I'm shooting cattle, donkey/horses camel ect and I am taking a 30-30 (which has happened) I take 170gr power points, they're much more heavly constructed and don't expand as quickly as the 150gr soft points, they are better suited to quartering away shots with their better penetration.

For light thin skins animals from what I have seen the 150gr is devistating.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

By chance, Jim Brockman sent me these pics today of something new he is doing for 2016:

User Tag List