Page 170 of 178 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Looks kind of like a Browning BLR without the craftsmanship.
    Except it takes commonly available magazines and has a threaded barrel. Function over form I guess.

If this Henry has a primary extraction, I'd rather have it than Bond's upcoming lever AR. But I cannot be sure without trying it out.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    If it goes well, the next project will be addressing the same thing on a Mini-30. There’s a place that makes an extremely low profile rail that clamps on and replaces the factory top hand guard. Kinda like an UltiMak but lower profile.
    I would like to hear more about that. Do they make a Mini-14 version? Does the rail leave the op rod exposed, like with the Ultimak? Does a red dot on that rail co-witness the iron sights? And do they ship internationally?
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I would like to hear more about that. Do they make a Mini-14 version? Does the rail leave the op rod exposed, like with the Ultimak? Does a red dot on that rail co-witness the iron sights? And do they ship internationally?
    Here ya go. Not sure on the export.

Life kinda got in the way past few weeks and shooting has been put on back burner. Hopefully next few weeks. Projects piled up everywhere.

https://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/merch...e=HannibalRail
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

This talk of newer designs of lever guns brings my mind back to Savage 99 rifles. Ive flirted with the idea of them off and on, but most of my time doing so was firmly in my "I dont need a scope on a lever gun" period. Thats not now.

Looking at some of the newer things coming around, it seems one can still find pretty decent examples of classics for similar or less money than most new stuff, which in my case tends to make me focus on the classics.

Do any of our esteemed members have experience with the 250 or 300 caliber savage 99 rifles as regards accuracy that they can share? Id be interested in one with the better designed stocks with less drop, I think perhaps the 40s was when they changed but am not certain. I would prefer a 250-3000 due to my advancing decrepitude and desire to move somewhere warmer and grizzly-free.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    This talk of newer designs of lever guns brings my mind back to Savage 99 rifles. Ive flirted with the idea of them off and on, but most of my time doing so was firmly in my "I dont need a scope on a lever gun" period. Thats not now.

Looking at some of the newer things coming around, it seems one can still find pretty decent examples of classics for similar or less money than most new stuff, which in my case tends to make me focus on the classics.

Do any of our esteemed members have experience with the 250 or 300 caliber savage 99 rifles as regards accuracy that they can share? Id be interested in one with the better designed stocks with less drop, I think perhaps the 40s was when they changed but am not certain. I would prefer a 250-3000 due to my advancing decrepitude and desire to move somewhere warmer and grizzly-free.

I had a M99C in .300, it shot Remington Core locks in to one hole. If I remember correctly they were 150 grain round nose. When I couldn't find ammo for it any more I sold it off. Yes, I have regrets but it was pre internet days and I had not settled down so reloading was not in the picture yet. I have my dads M99 in .308. I have not shot it yet but he hunted with it for decades and I remember him making some pretty long shots. I have some concerns about it. He had to have the chamber recut in the late 60s due to shooting to many hot reloads, so there is that. He quit hunting with it because he said he couldn't hit with it anymore. I got it out the other day and found the scope he had put on it was cranked down and was touching the barrel. It wouldnt sit in the rings level so im hoping that this was his issue. When it gets a little warmer I'm gonna find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I had a M99C in .300, it shot Remington Core locks in to one hole. If I remember correctly they were 150 grain round nose. When I couldn't find ammo for it any more I sold it off. Yes, I have regrets but it was pre internet days and I had not settled down so reloading was not in the picture yet. I have my dads M99 in .308. I have not shot it yet but he hunted with it for decades and I remember him making some pretty long shots. I have some concerns about it. He had to have the chamber recut in the late 60s due to shooting to many hot reloads, so there is that. He quit hunting with it because he said he couldn't hit with it anymore. I got it out the other day and found the scope he had put on it was cranked down and was touching the barrel. It wouldnt sit in the rings level so im hoping that this was his issue. When it gets a little warmer I'm gonna find out.

Thanks.

Curious how the 308 shapes up when you get time to work with it again.

Factory ammo isnt part of the equation for me, and brass can be made pretty easily in either 250 or 300 from commonly available stuff.

My impression is the original chamberings are a little easier on the gun and brass.

Ages ago I read a book by a guy that hunted and trapped all over in the early 1900s. I think he ended up in Maine, he shot everything, including black bears and moose with a 250 and a 38 spl pistol. I could think of a bunch of better choices back then when I read it, but am starting to look at things in a little different light now.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    In the late 80s, I worked in a gun store in south-central PA. We had a bunch of Savage 99s and Remington 14s and 141s and we couldn't give them away. Nowadays they're collector's items.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    In the late 80s, I worked in a gun store in south-central PA. We had a bunch of Savage 99s and Remington 14s and 141s and we couldn't give them away. Nowadays they're collector's items.

Yep. Around the same time, The San Francisco Gun Exchange had a whole center floor rack in the store consisting of various Savage 99s in pretty much every caliber and configuration they made from 1900 to 1950. They were the least expensive firearms in the whole store. @paherne and @AMC can probably back me up on that.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Yep. Around the same time, The San Francisco Gun Exchange had a whole center floor rack in the store consisting of various Savage 99s in pretty much every caliber and configuration they made from 1900 to 1950. They were the least expensive firearms in the whole store. @paherne and @AMC can probably back me up on that.
    Dear God I loved that place. Still the best gun store I've ever been in. Part gun store, part museum/consignment store. Knowledgeable staff, amazing selection, connections to multiple prominent gunsmith. I was crushed when Bob and his sister closed the place. Last I heard, he had bought a Harley dealership up in Sonoma County.

I remember a rack of numerous leverguns, including the Savages. He'll, that place had everything from double rifles in .600 Nitro to a gyrojet pistol (not joking). And the last gun store I was in where I could have an intelligent conversation about guns with the staff.

User Tag List