Page 156 of 178 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

This popped up in my suggested feed. Prototype +10 extension for a BLR .308 magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Please mind the Model 12 pump....

Name:  IMG_20230202_142719573~2.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  39.7 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    No Spencer, but I owned a repop Sharps [think Quigley] that was very well manufactured. 45-70, and accurate to the 600 yard range we had. Heavy boat anchor of a rifle.
    The Pedersoli Quigley I had back in 2008 in .45-120:

Name:  Quig2.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  86.5 KB

It belonged to a buddy and I managed to horse trade it away from him. I think it qualifies as the most fun rifle I've ever played with. I shot full house .45-120 BP loads, .45-70 level BP loads and also picked up a Crossno .22 LR liner for it. Unfortunately things got real tight and I had to sell it within a couple of years. A .45-70 version is on my short "things I had to sell but now I want a replacement" list, just not at $2K+.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    What's funny is that, IMHO, it looks better than the other two mag fed lever actions that were announced at SHOT.
    It's a matter of personal preference, I suspect. I prefer Bond's mechanics as well as looks. By using two different cam profiles for open and close, Bond's gun applies greater force where it's needed: for the primary extraction on open and for stripping the round from the magazine on close. FightLite's design seems like always transfering the force in the same amount. That said, I have a Browning BLR that is designed in the same way and it mostly works okay. I never had to fight a stuck case and the mags are so short that stripping from them is easy.

Anyone have experience with the brass Henrys or Cimarron Yellowboys? How does the finish hold up? Does it tarnish like regular brass or is it coated somehow? I'm not a big fan of brass to begin with and I dislike polishing even less but for the right rifle or carbine in the right configuration I'd probably be OK with the brass IF I don't have to polish it.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Anyone have experience with the brass Henrys or Cimarron Yellowboys? How does the finish hold up? Does it tarnish like regular brass or is it coated somehow? I'm not a big fan of brass to begin with and I dislike polishing even less but for the right rifle or carbine in the right configuration I'd probably be OK with the brass IF I don't have to polish it.
    The Cimarron guns are made by Uberti, and generally considered a little better finished than the standard Ubertis. I confess to coveting an 1866 carbine in a serious way. 44 spl as a first choice, 44-40 or 45 Colt as alternatives. Most I think just let them age out, or even do something to them to break the super flashy high polish look. They age out to a beautiful mellow brassy color with handling, or with some mustard, orange juice or other acidic material applied to it. Benign neglect may be the operative phrase in this case.

Like this
    Name:  Uberti 1866 rifle detail finish.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  23.2 KB
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks @Malamute, that’s kind of what I was afraid of. I can tolerate the shiny but the aged look is a deal breaker for me. With my sweat it would be a constant fight involving Nevr-Dull.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Dad has one of the Henry rimfire yellowboys with the octagon barrel. It does not tarnish - it’s either a different alloy, or it’s coated with something, but it does not tarnish.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Dad has one of the Henry rimfire yellowboys with the octagon barrel. It does not tarnish - it’s either a different alloy, or it’s coated with something, but it does not tarnish.
    I believe the rimfire Yellowboy receiver bits are a plated "ZAMAC" type alloy. There was a big to-do about this some years back, similar to people discovering they had MIM parts in their new gun.

I know two people who - at least as late as 2010 - were still using their Ithaca 49 and Agawam .22 LR "Peabody-Martini"-esque single shot faux levergun carbines as plinkers and barn rifles; these had some sort of ZAMAC or similar alloy. The guy with the Agawam got some jollies out of reminding a few of us that he was still using the same .22 we had made crap out of in Junior High, while we had replaced our own .22s long ago.

My SWAG is that Henry probably uses a better metal and better production processes now than Ithaca or Agawam did 50 years ago.
    Last edited by gato naranja; 02-13-2023 at 06:10 PM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Man oh man! This has me thinking about raiding the safe to scrounge up some funds.

Henry-Turnbull Big Boy Steel .45 Colt Side Gate

Name:  Turnbull Henry 45 Colt.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  22.1 KB

User Tag List