Page 153 of 178 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by smithjd View Post
    Is there any news from SHOT re: Ruger / Marlin levers? Particularly the 1894 series...in stainless.

V/R
    Nothing from SHOT Show (yet) but I just checked the Marlin website, and it is is now showing "Early 2023" for the 336 and "Spring 2023" for the 1894. That is a relatively recent development I think, because I've looked at the website in the last few weeks.

Soon™

If they release a threaded 1894c, I might buy one from Ruger, transfer light mount, sights etc to the new one and hold the Remlin in reserve. A couple months ago I could have sold the Remlin on Gunbroker for 2x to 3x what I paid for it, but I bet as soon as the Ruglins drop, the value will plummet on the Remington era guns.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I've been thinking about pulling the 2x EER scope from my .357 1894 and replacing it with a dot. I really haven't given much thought to which dot but your post reminded me I have an Ultra-Dot that's currently not dedicated to anything so I just mounted it and I'm intrigued.
    Most of the time with PCC's, I don't want magnification so much as just having the aiming point out there at the same plane of the target. Put the dot on the target and the job gets done.

I have only ever had two 25mm Ultra-Dots (because I prefer the 30mm ones), and I left one of them on something I traded off a few years back. This remaining 25mm U-D has briefly been on a few firearms over the years, but it found its niche on that 1894CSS. It may all be in my head, but I find the thing easier to pick up fast than more compact, open emitter dots. It's worth a try!

FWIW, I have not had one instance of trouble with these older Ultra-Dots, which I can't say about some newer, more expensive and more sophisticated red dots. The first one I bought is still on an early Ruger MkIII 5.5 Target, and still making that pistol both enjoyable and relaxing.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Nothing from SHOT Show (yet) but I just checked the Marlin website, and it is is now showing "Early 2023" for the 336 and "Spring 2023" for the 1894. That is a relatively recent development I think, because I've looked at the website in the last few weeks.

Soon™

If they release a threaded 1894c, I might buy one from Ruger, transfer light mount, sights etc to the new one and hold the Remlin in reserve. A couple months ago I could have sold the Remlin on Gunbroker for 2x to 3x what I paid for it, but I bet as soon as the Ruglins drop, the value will plummet on the Remington era guns.
    I'll be interested in seeing what the used market will be for the Remington-era guns once the Ruger 336s hit the market. The new 1895s are going for $1,400 when stores near me have them.

Despite prevailing wisdom, some good Remington made guns could be found. It would be nice to find some deals on used Marlins. The JM marked guns are going for silly prices. I'm seeing New Haven guns in well-used shape at $1,000 or up. I enjoy lever guns, especially Marlins but plain jane 336s aren't worth that much.

Quote Originally Posted by MRW View Post
    Apparently the new Marlin 336 was at the SHOT industry range day. There was some pics on social media but I haven't seen any official notifications or postings.
    There's a short blurb of the new 336 on this website: https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/new-rifles/

Blued steel, wood stock, and 20 inch barrel. In 30-30 and 35 Remington. Interesting.
    Ordinary guy

I'm glad they're keeping the .35 Remington version.

Soon™

Hmmm... I think they updated their site this morning. I bet even this news may cool the market. I know I will probably wait to see what Ruglin produces, rather than pay inflated prices.

Quote Originally Posted by MRW View Post
    I'll be interested in seeing what the used market will be for the Remington-era guns once the Ruger 336s hit the market. The new 1895s are going for $1,400 when stores near me have them.

Despite prevailing wisdom, some good Remington made guns could be found. It would be nice to find some deals on used Marlins. The JM marked guns are going for silly prices. I'm seeing New Haven guns in well-used shape at $1,000 or up. I enjoy lever guns, especially Marlins but plain jane 336s aren't worth that much.
    My RemLin era 1894c has been a perfectly serviceable rifle. I have zero complaints about the $650 I spent on it. It is my #1 favorite Walking Around Rifle, and I put meat in the freezer with it last year.

The cachet of the JM-marked Marlins is entirely a product of internet frenzy. People talk about them like they were bespoke rifles forged from adamantium in the light of a full-moon and heat treated by being quenched in unicorn tears. They arent'. They are serviceable, rugged rifles, but the prices are out of control.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I bet as soon as the Ruglins drop, the value will plummet on the Remington era guns.
    I'd take that wager against you. "Marlin" will never again make lever action rifles. I suspect there are still plenty of folks nostalgic about "the real thing" ... enough to keep those old guns at higher prices, which drags the Remington prices higher. Which, probably, keeps the Ruger made guns higher priced too.

I'd love to be wrong. I want something like a 1894 CSBL/CSS but threaded for a can. But I'm not sure I can fork over $2000 for one.

Time will tell.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    The cachet of the JM-marked Marlins is entirely a product of internet frenzy. People talk about them like they were bespoke rifles forged from adamantium in the light of a full-moon and heat treated by being quenched in unicorn tears. They arent'. They are serviceable, rugged rifles, but the prices are out of control.
    When I was a kid, Marlin centerfire lever actions - especially in "Glenfield" guise - were considered a notch below equivalent Winchesters by a majority of old guys. Being a bit of a contrarian in those days, I thought Marlins were the better mousetrap, but I did concede the fit/finish differences, at least as a general thing.

Some of the later "genuine JM" guns just flat-out SUCKED, quality-wise. If Ruger resurrects the .357 1894 CSBL and doesn't make a total hash of it, I will sell my "JM" 1894's to any true believer who has cash in hand.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List