Page 151 of 178 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    To bad they don't expand from a handgun because they're perfect from a carbine.

The 158gr American eagle JSP are great performers from a Carbine.
    I also like handloaded 158gr FP-XTP. Unlike the standard HP these are designed to hold up to higher velocities without fragmenting. Only available for reloaders though.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Browsing G'broker.
    Fill me in on the "finessing" a Rossi carbine would need.
    I will chime in as an enthusiastic amateur-

The go-to guy for making Rossi 92's sing was - probably still is - Steve Young, also known in cowboy action circles as "Nate Kiowa Jones." His website is www.stevesgunz.com. If your google-fu is strong, some of his posts on the levergun and cowboy action shooting forums are worth delving into. I had a copy of his DVD but can't find it after the move; it is cheap insurance for the Rossi 92 novice who might get in over their head, as well as the person who has simply forgotten how to detail-strip a 92 in general.

His 92 replacement/upgrade parts are good and are also priced right- his ejector spring and magazine follower are must-haves. He makes a plug to replace the latter-day Rossi's somewhat unreliable bolt-mounted manual safety, and I would recommend one of those as well. Those three parts are all I would recommend at first, because if you remove burrs and stone or polish a few key surfaces, some Rossis need nothing more than those three to be decent guns. Others can be an adventure. I used to thin down the hammer springs on them a bit as well.

But the wood on the Rossis is generally odd, and usually not pretty (some of the old ones excepted). It can be left alone in most cases, but I did have one carbine-style forend that was almost "punk" and would not have lasted with use as it was. Some wood, however, can look nice when the factory finish is removed and redone by someone who knows what they are doing. I'm not a woodworker or refinisher, so I tend to rely on simple stuff like the CMP techniques at https://thecmp.org/wood-cleaning-article/ that are fairly easy for a duffer like myself.

If it weren't such a PITA to simply and solidly put optics on the things, I'd be tempted to get back on this horse again. Instead, I shall stand over here and watch others as I wait for Ruger to spool up 1894 Marlin production.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Pretty much calling this project completed for the General Purpose Walking Around Carbine. Remlin era 1894c with HPG stock cuff, HPG lever gun light mount, TLR, Midwest Industries Ghost ring and red dot mount, and Vortex red dot.

The optic will likely be swapped for a Aimpoint Duty RDS as soon as I sell enough books to fund it.
    Here is my analogue:

Name:  1894CSS-LateProdJM_cropped.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  16.0 KB

A late, late JM 1894CSS which was a hot mess that cycled like it was full of gravel when it came out of the box-- serious burrs and chisel-like action going on inside. Now it functions okay, but it still ain't much to be proud of. Nonetheless...

It has an old-school (by today's standards) 25mm Ultra Dot mounted in low Burris Zee rings on a sawed-off XS Leverrail (with XS rear ghost ring) made just long enough to fully support the front ring. I replaced the (somewhat loose) factory rear sight with an oversize dovetail blank, and added a home-brew nylon carrying strap/plated sling swivels. It is pretty handy, but that barrel and mag tube need to have about 1-3/4" removed to be truly handy.

It punches over its weight up close, yet is pleasant to shoot.
    Last edited by gato naranja; 12-21-2022 at 04:25 PM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Okay, sounds like I just need to wait for Marlin/Ruger to get back to small frames, or look at Henry's.

It occurred to me after posting, that easy optics capability is a priority, so that rules out most legacy lever guns.
    https://www.thetacticalwire.com/rele...9-6da2d93f9603
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Its not particularly difficult to put optics on top eject Winchester type guns of the model 92 and 94 types. No gunsmith mounts have been around for some time, and are pretty affordable. The angle eject Winchester 94s have also been around for almost 40 years if they made them in a caliber one desires, though i think they can be somewhat finicky in 357 caliber in some instances.

https://www.mod94scoperail.com/purch...-92-rail-mount

The small mount that utilize the rear sight dovetail for a short rail are also a possibility, some imprt guns had a short rail section setup with secrew holes concealed by the normal barrel sight, but removing it allowed access to the holes to mount the rail section. It would be pretty simple to get that done to other guns. ive considered something of the sort on my Winchester/Miroku 73.

Anyway, thanks for the posts about the work often needed to get some makes up to speed. I have very little patience for that when I know theres better grade guns available that dont need that sort of thing done, and feel in the instances Ive chosen them, the extra cost was well worthwhile. I admit I had to do some work on the Browning 92. I had to drill holes for a sling mount and receiver sight, otherwise, 25 or so years of part time use with no other work needed. I had to work on the 1873 also, it needed a sling mount. And orange paint on the front sight. Both have been very satisfying guns so far.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Saw this on reddit. Mag-fed 9mm lever action. Saw some discussion of it a couple other places after a quick google search but not really any info.

Name:  q34jq70ghc9a1.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  72.3 KB

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeverGuns/c...s_now_old_man/

Anyway, it's ugly as hell and I want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Rumlin 1894s are on the way. Finally. Article says forged receiver.

Marlin Model 1894 Dark Series Carbine Review

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...review/386324/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Rumlin 1894s are on the way. Finally. Article says forged receiver.

Marlin Model 1894 Dark Series Carbine Review

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...review/386324/
    That article is from The Before Times.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That article is from The Before Times.
    I was excited... until I realized that. Oh well.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Wow, it sure is. It was at the top of one of the “daily gun spam” emails I get as if it was the latest news. Lame.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List