Page 150 of 178 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

I really wanted to get a big bore Marlin… threaded… so I could toss on a suppressor. Was looking at the .45-70, but I am a big fan of .44 Magnum.

Looking at it more and more, I’m sort of leaning towards a .357 Magnum… threaded, hopefully stainless.

I never was a .357 fan… and really not that much. Unfortunately, my Carry Comp is chambered in it.

But I figured .38s in a suppressed lever gun would be pretty nice. I was leaning towards threading my Manurhin PP in .32… but turned to be too much of a hassle. Also wanted to thread my Nagant… which I may if ADCO still offers it. But figure that would be a fun setup to run.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I really wanted to get a big bore Marlin… threaded… so I could toss on a suppressor. Was looking at the .45-70, but I am a big fan of .44 Magnum.

Looking at it more and more, I’m sort of leaning towards a .357 Magnum… threaded, hopefully stainless.

I never was a .357 fan… and really not that much. Unfortunately, my Carry Comp is chambered in it.

But I figured .38s in a suppressed lever gun would be pretty nice.
    I started out with .44 Magnum pistol-caliber leverguns, but moved to .357 Magnums after deciding that the latter were performing adequately for me in the role of a general-purpose utility carbine that could also be used defensively, and the .357 was also more fun to shoot recreationally. Out of a 16" barrel, either one is more impressive up close than many people expect.

If hunting deer was my primary application, the .44 would probably be a better choice... or at least a more forgiving one.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Pretty much calling this project completed for the General Purpose Walking Around Carbine. Remlin era 1894c with HPG stock cuff, HPG lever gun light mount, TLR, Midwest Industries Ghost ring and red dot mount, and Vortex red dot.

The optic will likely be swapped for a Aimpoint Duty RDS as soon as I sell enough books to fund it.

I’ve had zero functional issues with it. I killed a spike blacktail with it last year and it dropped within 10 yards.

Preferred load is Barnes 140 grain, but I I also like American Eagle 158 JSP. It’s quiet, especially with subsonic .38 loads which are awesome on small game.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Pretty much calling this project completed for the General Purpose Walking Around Carbine. Remlin era 1894c with HPG stock cuff, HPG lever gun light mount, TLR, Midwest Industries Ghost ring and red dot mount, and Vortex red dot.

The optic will likely be swapped for a Aimpoint Duty RDS as soon as I sell enough books to fund it.

I’ve had zero functional issues with it. I killed a spike blacktail with it last year and it dropped within 10 yards.

Preferred load is Barnes 140 grain, but I I also like American Eagle 158 JSP. It’s quiet, especially with subsonic .38 loads which are awesome on small game.
    That is very similar to the setup I'd like to someday "build" as a compliment to my .357 Blackhawk for a walk around pair.

I'd like stainless/laminate (ala 1894 CSBL) for weather/corrosion resistance, and I'd probably ditch the light, and add a threaded muzzle (because some day I'm buying another can for "pistol" calibers). I have a "stainless" Aimpoint Micro R-1 that I krylon'd brown and stuck on an AR a long time ago, that I'd strip the paint off of. I'd really prefer a straight stock, and a normal loop.

That idea and project has been on the back burner since Marlin was ran into the ground by Remington and then sold to Ruger, and prices went nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Okay, sounds like I just need to wait for Marlin/Ruger to get back to small frames, or look at Henry's.

It occurred to me after posting, that easy optics capability is a priority, so that rules out most legacy lever guns.

The Rossi's current availability and cost was appealing, but I can wait, especially as I'm still waiting for primers and powder to get more easily available so .357/.38 is actually cost effective.
    Unless you want optics on a Marlin I'll take puma's/Rossi's over anything but maybe a case hardened 73.

I've got 2 and sold a bunch at the store I worked at. Lighter and handier than the more modern offering.

Both mine are slicker than snot with minimal tinkering.

Name:  IMG_20221211_142316~2.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  61.2 KB16" puma m92 in .45 colt

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

To bad they don't expand from a handgun because they're perfect from a carbine.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Unless you want optics on a Marlin I'll take puma's/Rossi's over anything but maybe a case hardened 73.

I've got 2 and sold a bunch at the store I worked at. Lighter and handier than the more modern offering.

Both mine are slicker than snot with minimal tinkering.
    I was pleased enough with a stainless short rifle briefly imported by Navy Arms as it came right out of the box, but the rest of the Rossi 92's I had were almost like the old cap-and-ball revolver kits of yore. ("Some fitting and finishing required.") Once they are gone through and given varying degrees of TLC they can be, as you said, slicker than snot.

Your point about them being lighter and handier than the rest is also absolutely true. The 92 is light, slick-sided, pretty much snag-free, and the receiver is comfortable in the hand when carrying (something some other levers are not). In their unadorned state, they are dandy... once I tried to add a sling, or a light, or better (for me) sights, they lost some of that form/function "zen."

My brief fling with a Miroku-made Winchester 1892 Trapper came right as my eye(s) lost accomodation, but it was a delightful little thing.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I need a 357 trapper, or the like.
    Really, I do.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Browsing G'broker.
    Fill me in on the "finessing" a Rossi carbine would need.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List