Page 143 of 178 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Jesus Christ, Chuck Connors is turning over in his grave.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Agree. To each his own, but some things are just WRONG.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Project update of sorts...

Action back together. Everything fine there. Action feeds and ejects fine. Stock is soaking up BLO like a sponge. Coat #4 so far. I’ve been heating the wood with an old hair dryer before applying the next coat. Usually you get a bit of weeping from the wood. This one is bone dry. It’s darkening up a bit more than I hoped, but nothing unattractive.

Bore is a work in progress. Heavily leaded it appears, especially at the throat and muzzle. What seems to be working is a soaking with Kroil...wait anywhere between and hour to overnight depending on what else is going on, followed by 20x swipes with a bronze brush, then patch until dry. This is followed by 3-4 Hoppes patches, then patch after that until dry. Repeat. After starting the Kroil/brush method, I noticed a definite improvement over just the Hoppes. You can see the glint of the lead on the patches, and the rifling is becoming sharper. It’s still a 115yr old bore, but hopefully it will end up being shootable. I don’t need it to be a target gun, but would like it to be a 50yd critter gun. Hopefully we can get there without relining it.

I’ll toss up some pics tomorrow if there’s any interest. So far, this has been an interesting project compared to the others.
    Last edited by entropy; 10-13-2022 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

Bore is a work in progress. Heavily leaded it appears, especially at the throat and muzzle. What seems to be working is a soaking with Kroil...wait anywhere between and hour to overnight depending on what else is going on, followed by 20x swipes with a bronze brush, then patch until dry. This is followed by 3-4 Hoppes patches, then patch after that until dry. Repeat. After starting the Kroil/brush method, I noticed a definite improvement over just the Hoppes. You can see the glint of the lead on the patches, and the rifling is becoming sharper. It’s still a 115yr old bore, but hopefully it will end up being shootable. I don’t need it to be a target gun, but would like it to be a 50yd critter gun. Hopefully we can get there without reclining it.
    Have you tried a bronze brush wrapped in steel wool? That helps rip the lead out by the roots.

I’m waiting on some copper choreboy from Amazon. I was out and can only get the steel stuff locally. 000 steel wool is my last resort, and I’m trying to protect what’s left the best I can.

Action back together. Everything fine there. Action feeds and ejects fine. Stock is soaking up BLO like a sponge. Coat #4 so far. I’ve been heating the wood with an old hair dryer before applying the next coat. Usually you get a bit of weeping from the wood. This one is bone dry. It’s darkening up a bit more than I hoped, but nothing unattractive.

Bore is a work in progress. Heavily leaded it appears, especially at the throat and muzzle. What seems to be working is a soaking with Kroil...wait anywhere between and hour to overnight depending on what else is going on, followed by 20x swipes with a bronze brush, then patch until dry. This is followed by 3-4 Hoppes patches, then patch after that until dry. Repeat. After starting the Kroil/brush method, I noticed a definite improvement over just the Hoppes. You can see the glint of the lead on the patches, and the rifling is becoming sharper. It’s still a 115yr old bore, but hopefully it will end up being shootable. I don’t need it to be a target gun, but would like it to be a 50yd critter gun. Hopefully we can get there without relining it.

I’ll toss up some pics tomorrow if there’s any interest. So far, this has been an interesting project compared to the others.

In my youth, I begged for a 25-20 and ended up with a rolling block .22 Hornet that had a minute of barndoor accuracy. I never got my little 25 so I'm living vicariously.

Site Supporter
    @entropy I know that logistics wise it would probably be a bit more work, but have you thought about giving that rifle the Mark Novak boil everything in water for an hour or so and card it off with steel wool or a carding wheel treatment? Looks like it would be a good candidate.

At 35:00 here he shows how to make a boiling pot for a rifle out of a piece of gutter. It’s a long video, but worth a watch if you haven’t seen his work. Plus it’s better than most things on TV anyways. I don’t always agree with how he does everything, but I’ve learned a lot watching his channel.

ETA: cool rifle by the way.

Appreciate the comments and suggestions.

It’s just the bore that needs some lovin’. The rest of it has a nice patina and I’m quite happy with it. I’ve become more confident in the bore since the Kroil. The bench is a mess right now. I’ll clean things up a bit and get it to pose for pictures tomorrow.

Site Supporter
    Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner does a good job removing lead.

What I did on a '47 model 36 was to buy a citrus all purpose cleaner at the box store, plug the muzzle with a rubber stopper, and fill it.
    Let it soak over two days, and drained.

Then a normal cleaning as you describe. The bore came out shiny and sharp.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List