Page 140 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1764

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by 60pilot View Post
    I haven't fooled with it, but I thought this could be a solution for a forward mounted RDS on a 92. Figured a micro Aimpoint in a low mount may work.

https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.p...products_id=81

I have seen those, they may be an answer for some.

For my use Im thinking something that allows the rear sight to stay in place if possible.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I haven't fooled with it, but I thought this could be a solution for a forward mounted RDS on a 92. Figured a micro Aimpoint in a low mount may work.

https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.p...products_id=81
    Two thoughts.

1. Open emitter is a no-go for me on an outdoors gun.

2. I'd be nervous about handling and recoil causing the dovetail to open up and loosen when the thing it's holding has the mass and leverage of even a pistol-sized sight. Putting a Micro on there because it can hold on the single slot pic rail just seems like asking for trouble.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I have seen those, they may be an answer for some.

For my use Im thinking something that allows the rear sight to stay in place if possible.
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I like the idea of maintaining a rear aperture or ghost ring sight on the receiver. Most of the mounts that I've seen prevented the use of iron sights without removing non-QD mounts or sights.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Two thoughts.

1. Open emitter is a no-go for me on an outdoors gun.

2. I'd be nervous about handling and recoil causing the dovetail to open up and loosen when the thing it's holding has the mass and leverage of even a pistol-sized sight. Putting a Micro on there because it can hold on the single slot pic rail just seems like asking for trouble.
    I'm in agreement on the open emitter. I may eventually get around to giving it shot with the micro. Recoil is minimal in .357.

I'm in agreement on the open emitter. I may eventually get around to giving it shot with the micro. Recoil is minimal in .357.
    It could still get knocked against a branch inadvertently. I like this Swedish dude's setup (the one I linked yesterday):

Name:  Aimpointmontage.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  48.2 KB

Although it looks like he drilled his 1895 to match the 10/22 pattern. No BUIS may be an issue for some.

Come on, @SpyderMan2k4!

Kinda curious how the lower line of sight and more compact/lighter overall character of an ACRO would trade off against the size of the window with a Micro. Anyone played with both on carbines or PCCs? @JCN
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Kinda curious how the lower line of sight and more compact/lighter overall character of an ACRO would trade off against the size of the window with a Micro. Anyone played with both on carbines or PCCs? @JCN
    I don’t own any Aimpoints but for me personally I like the lower line of sight of a pistol RDS on a carbine even though it’s a smaller window than rifle RDS that sit higher.

I find that I don’t need a larger window for something that I’m cheek welded to and I prefer to minimize height over bore for close precision at speed.

An old friend of mine just asked me about the value of his pre-64 Winchester model 94-30 WCF (30/30).

I don't know the first thing about older guns in general or lever guns in particular. Does anyone know of an online resource where a guy might get a clue about these things?

Also, anyone got a wild guess as to a baseline value for one of these in decent shape? Like a "probably don't sell it for less than $XXX" kind of thing? I have no idea what to tell him except to look on gunbroker. com.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    An old friend of mine just asked me about the value of his pre-64 Winchester model 94-30 WCF (30/30).
    Anywhere between 1K and 2K depending on condition. Gunbroker has quite a few on there to get an idea.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I have no idea what to tell him except to look on gunbroker. com.
    Log in and check the completed auctions. I sort by highest number of bids to find the guns that actually sold. It lists "premium" auctions first, so the cycle from most bids to lots of zero-bids repeats. Keep going through the first bunch of zero bids to find the guns with bids again.
    Not another dime.

Looks like the Marlin/Ruger 1895's are around on gunbroker, guns.com etc.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The urge of all things odd bit me again. Picked up a 1904 Marlin 94 in 25-20. I was originally looking at a Winchester 92, but found the bore condition not as advertised. Hard pass. Stumbled across the Marlin. Decent shape, some color left in the frame, bore much nicer, so I bit. Never owned a Marlin levergun before. Not the graceful lines as a Winchester, (kinda like a Smith/Ruger thing) but certainly have a devoted following. Pics when it arrives, any advice or input on older Marlins welcome. (Yep, signed up on the Marlin Owners site.) Looking forward to an interesting project.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List