Page 139 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    The only - and I mean ONLY - reason I let my pet 16" Rossi 92 in .357 go was that the mounting of an optic proved to be unreliable ("unreliable" being the polite term)...
    What problem did you have with an optic mount?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    What problem did you have with an optic mount?
    I could not keep some of them solidly mounted despite loctite and my best efforts, and most of them were also "snaggers" on what was otherwise a slick litle number. The top ejection made anything but a forward mounting impractical, and in the end, relying on sight dovetail "adapters" and such stopped being fun.

Since that time, newer, smaller (and lighter) red dots have shown up that might have been game changers, but the 92 Clones are long gone and only the Marlin 1984C remains. The optic mount is an old XS LeverRail I sawed off just in front of the receiver, and it is really not a bad setup, and allows irons if the optic craps out.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Some time last year, I suggested to Ranger Point Precision that they should make something like a CROM or even pistol optic mounting plate for the 336/1894 footprint. The lady who answers customer emails said she had passed the idea along to the guys, they liked it and would work on it. I haven't seen anything yet.

But I do like the idea of my 1894 with an ACRO or Micro mounted as low as possible.

@Wayne Dobbs - Kinda like the setups Aimpoint sells for the MkIII/IV and 10/22.
    Like this?

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...-1895-grt1.htm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    +1

“Paleomagnumitis” That hits the nail on the head!

While I have enough .45/70 rifles and a couple .44 Mag rifles, a short svelte 1894 Marlin (Ruger) in .357 would be a lot of fun to shoot and a great addition to my “why did he buy this?” collection my heirs will have to sort thru some day.
    My .357 1894 is one of my favorite guns I’ve ever had.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    That's the idea. Not really a fan of how the 1894 version cantilevers the optic off the front of the receiver, hanging in space. Would rather run an ACRO farther back, solidly supported by the receiver. Or maybe just not use one of the inner two screws from mount to receiver.

Or maybe Aridus could get their stuff together and actually make it:
    https://jerkingthetrigger.com/2020/0...-336-and-1894/

This guy modded the 10/22 mount that Aimpoint sells. Might be the winner for sleek and low profile as of current.
    https://www.marlinowners.com/threads.../#post-4102113
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-15-2022 at 08:21 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    ...the 92 Clones are long gone and only the Marlin 1984C(SS) remains. The optic mount is an old XS LeverRail I sawed off just in front of the receiver, and it is really not a bad setup, and allows irons if the optic craps out.
    Name:  IMG_2718.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  100.5 KB

The Marlin in question is a late North Haven JM, apparently made on a Monday morning shortly after Cerberus announced the Gotterdaemerung.

(I know that seeing a paycheck evaporate sucks, but ladies and gentlemen, some suit with a silver spoon in his nose did not buy this... a regular working cat did.)

The sawed-off LeverRail has actually proven solid and versatile with a number of optics. I can't claim originality though... I blatantly copied it.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That's the idea. Not really a fan of how the 1894 version cantilevers the optic off the front of the receiver, hanging in space. Would rather run an ACRO farther back, solidly supported by the receiver. Or maybe just not use one of the inner two screws from mount to receiver.
    Yep, I used the pict rail version on my 1894 with a Holosun 403R in a low MI QD mount.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...i-1894-grr.htm

My RDS is a bit high and the peep sight is fiddly to adjust requiring different sizes of Allen wrenches to adjust. But once done it seems like it’s pretty durable. Time will tell.

Name:  IMG_2718.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  100.5 KB

The Marlin in question is a late North Haven JM, apparently made on a Monday morning shortly after Cerberus announced the Gotterdaemerung.

(I know that seeing a paycheck evaporate sucks, but ladies and gentlemen, some suit with a silver spoon in his nose did not buy this... a regular working cat did.)
    I was on the Marlin forum during that time period and there were a lot of quality complaints about Marlin rifles months before the Remington-geddon. I think cash for equipment repairs was short and employee morale was low leading up to the sale.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My 1894 was made a decade before Remington took over. It's pretty on the outside, but was pretty rough on the inside. Including damage to a key part prior to assembly that made a functional design feature inoperable.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I could not keep some of them solidly mounted despite loctite and my best efforts, and most of them were also "snaggers" on what was otherwise a slick litle number. The top ejection made anything but a forward mounting impractical, and in the end, relying on sight dovetail "adapters" and such stopped being fun.

Since that time, newer, smaller (and lighter) red dots have shown up that might have been game changers, but the 92 Clones are long gone and only the Marlin 1984C remains. The optic mount is an old XS LeverRail I sawed off just in front of the receiver, and it is really not a bad setup, and allows irons if the optic craps out.
    Do you have any further details on the mounts?

Im wanting to do a small optics mount on a 92 Browning, possibly D&T the front receiver ring like the 94 AE guns are done, or D&T the barrel just ahead of the receiver for a low small mount, the optic Im thinking of would be like most are putting on pistols currently. Something similar on an 1873 also comes to mind.

Theres no-drill mounts made for top ejects that use factory holes in the receiver and the sight dovetail, but I dont know much about them. They are also quite a lot larger than I was wanting. Like this https://www.mod94scoperail.com/

If I had access to a machine shop it would be interesting to make an angle eject 92 and be able to mount an actual LPV scope. I really like the 1-4 Leupold on the 94.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I haven't fooled with it, but I thought this could be a solution for a forward mounted RDS on a 92. Figured a micro Aimpoint in a low mount may work.

https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.p...products_id=81

User Tag List