Page 132 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you haven't run a lever gun fast or done a lot of work with one, I suggest trying a .38/.357 gun first. Because you'll quickly realize that smaller cartridges are not better for tube-fed, loading gate, guns. Nothing sucks more than fumbling trying to get cartridges into the gun.
    There is wisdom here. I proved to my own satisfaction that with leverguns, the loading and feeding of the .44 Magnum is less of a PITA than the .357 Magnum; I abandoned the former and still use the latter, but I have no illusions about it. I would imagine that their .32 analogs would be even more fiddly.

And a bottleneck round - even a slight one - also generally helps in leverguns; the old .44-40 and .38-40 rounds are more forgiving than straight-wall rounds. When the old-timers wanted one round for both levergun AND revolver use, they were making some compromises for the sake of logistics.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You guys might yet get me to pick up a .30-30 of some flavor.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You’ve come to the right place for enabling.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Boy howdy.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Now there's a gun I'll never get rid of.
    A good friend had a 1969 Winchester '94, in excellent shape, but could not get a good group with it, ever.
    I traded him an SKS for it.
    This particular 94 just will not shoot 150 grain ammo.... Like minute of barn.

170 grain factory, even my handloads of 165, and it shoots like a laser.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

You know who doesn't own a .30-30? Commies.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    A good friend had a 1969 Winchester '94, in excellent shape, but could not get a good group with it, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    You know who doesn't own a .30-30? Commies.
    I’ve owned a .30-30 and enjoyed it. But I love my little Marlin 1894 .357, and do not miss the .30-30.

I agree on the smaller cartridges not being as easy to handle and load. I recall a Marlin 357 carbine being a PIA after it was about half full. The Winchester 92 type actions also get a bit harder to load with pistol rounds when they get closer to full, but not as much of a nuisance as the older Marlin was.

I havent handled and shot a 92 type action in 357, the 44 Browning carbine isnt too bad, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the 1873 action is to load in 357. The magazine spring is softer and the gate is easier to operate than most other types. I believe the 1866 functions the same in all practical regards.

The 30-30 model 94 Winchesters are fairly easy to load and work. Theres been problems with some not liking to be topped off, which I believe is mostly poor finishing of the internal parts, the rear edge of the loading gate in particular, its a simple fix. Some try the work-around of not loading the rounds all the way in, but I feel thats a half-assed way to load and not an actual answer. On several occasions Ive had several rounds spit back out the gate when loading and leaving the base of the last round partially out. This is why i call it half-assed. When the guns function properly, its entirely unnecessary. Nicely fitted and worn older ones, pre-war, and well fitted later examples, its very easy to fully load every round and start another one without any problem. If they wont load smoothly they should be fixed, not try work arounds.

If you want easy to load, get a Browning/Winchester 1886. Big fat cartridges, very slick gate, and mag spring thats not fighting you. Its one of the reasons the marlin 45-70 fell from use after getting an 1886.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post

My 1950 is the same way. 170s or nuffin’.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I’ve owned a .30-30 and enjoyed it. But I love my little Marlin 1894 .357, and do not miss the .30-30.
    Me too. I get to shoot the 1894c a bunch more because reloading .357 is so much cheaper and easier. Couldn’t tell a bit of difference on this year’s deer either, although it was not but 15 yards away.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List