Page 11 of 178 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Site Supporter
    That's a really good looking rifle GJM

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    So I got to shoot the 1895 today - shot 8 rounds, 2 of 8 keyholed at z25 yards.

What are my options for replacing or re-habing the barrel?

Any recommendations on smiths to work on old Winchesters!

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I used to have a lot of .45-70 lever guns. Don't have most of them anymore.

Couldn't find a single defensive situation where the .45-70 worked better than a 12 ga. with Brenneke slugs.

Since a I shoot a lot more with an 870, I stopped using the .45-70's as wilderness defensive weapons and just use the 870's...
    If you're packing out game and somebody clips a bear, but doesn't put it down, you're obligated to try to find it so someone doesn't walk up on a wounded bear, and the bear doesn't die a nasty slow death. Guide gun or similar is a little handier to point and hit at distance in that situation, at least for me.
    That being said I went the same route, mainly because it's something that almost never comes up for me. I exclusively hunt blacktail, and I bone it and pack it out in scent-lok bags (they're small deer). I'm also usually by myself, and wouldn't feel obligated to track a bear that I wounded, although that never has and hopefully never will come up. If there is a problem bear, or some other reason I need to carry a long arm expecting to deal with one, the 870 is my go to. Not owning remote property or packing out large game, it's not something that comes up often. I can hunt birds with the 870 as well. Couldn't do that with a .45-70.
    I'm mainly typing this to convince myself I don't need a rig like GJM's wife's .45-70. I haven't wanted a firearm so bad in a long time. Is there a setting to turn off pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So I got to shoot the 1895 today - shot 8 rounds, 2 of 8 keyholed at z25 yards.

What are my options for replacing or re-habing the barrel?

Any recommendations on smiths to work on old Winchesters!
    What load are you shooting in it?

Have you cleaned it really really well? I've heard several guys with older guns that got a TON of old fouling and crud out of their barrels, and it helped the gun tremendously. If you have the electronic type cleaner, or some of the foaming cleaner, it may be a good place to start.

Most of the 30 cal guns seem to shoot decent unless really trashed. I had a 94 that was pitted pretty bad, but it shot 4"-5"-ish groups @ 100 for 3 shots. After getting the crown cleaned up a little, it did better.

I've got some foaming cleaner we can try HCM, bring it when we build your upper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

^ ^ Cool.

Some of the older guns were shot for long periods and never cleaned well if at all. Even if they look passable, they can have an awful lot of crud in the bore. Some high grade copper solvent may help also, but the foaming cleaner may get the job done. One friend did about 6-8 foam treatments on a bad bore before it really cleaned up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    What load are you shooting in it?

Have you cleaned it really really well? I've heard several guys with older guns that got a TON of old fouling and crud out of their barrels, and it helped the gun tremendously. If you have the electronic type cleaner, or some of the foaming cleaner, it may be a good place to start.

Most of the 30 cal guns seem to shoot decent unless really trashed. I had a 94 that was pitted pretty bad, but it shot 4"-5"-ish groups @ 100 for 3 shots. After getting the crown cleaned up a little, it did better.
    Thanks - We shot 4 Remington factory loads and 4 of my own 180 grain reloads which shoot fine in my 30-40 bolt gun. We got 1 keyhole from each. I'll try the foaming cleaner and have a local gunsmith look at the crown.

I would like him to slug the bore as well. If it really is worn .311 bullet reloads might work.

After a good cleaning I would definitely slug the barrel, those always had a "variety" of bore sizes . I know of some pushing .314 diameter.
    Last edited by Colt191145lover; 09-15-2015 at 04:17 PM.

Worst case, if you want to put a little into it, you could either find a decent barrel for it, have a barrel made up or refitted for it, or have a reproduction barrel made that would look original. I know a guy that can make very good reproduction barrels with all the correct markings inside and out. He made me a nice 20" short rifle 38-55 barrel for a 94 from a take-off from a 375 Whitworth. Markings are all correct for an 1898 gun.

Out of curiosity, do you have a dial caliper? You can check the ID with it and get a general idea if its really loose.

Can you see decent rifling at the muzzle?
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-15-2015 at 05:29 PM.

I just picked up a Brockman 45-70 and re kindled my lever gun love. I have an older Marlin cut to 16" and parkerized in .44 Magnum. It was built by a Forest Service Ranger and I carried it a lot up in the Eastern Sierra's. I also have a .45 Colt Winchester Trapper and a .357 big loop. A 1886 in 45-70 that is simply gorgeous. A David Clay .444 cut down Marlin. I have a .45-70 Marlin cut to 32" overall as well. That gun was my California special. Was kept near the front door of the house, and was my travel and car gun when driving between my Arizona home and California. Essentially, I love these things.

I agree with SLG....in every category I have something likely better. Like DocGKR, I have done the Lords work with an 870 and am very comfortable with it in most scenarios.

With that in mind...I am a lot like GJM in that I will not get rid of them for several reasons. Unlike the shotgun, they are much sleeker and compact. Ammo is smaller and easier to handle. I love the shotgun for 25 yard and in work, and love them indoors. Outdoors at any distance, I want a rifle. The problem is, the rifles I like often have legal issues or perception issues. Often both. With my lever rifles, I never worry about travel with them or legalities. They are pretty much legal everywhere and fall way under the radar. Even the most ardent anti gun prosecutor would view them as a "cowboy gun". It is really what the anti's THINK the 2nd amendment is talking about (I cannot disagree any stronger,but this is the perception). In today's PC world, there is something to this. Reality......I can do a lot of damage to anything walking in the United States with a .45-70 or Magnum pistol round at carbine velocity even if they are in a vehicle. While not a real tangible, I like the way a lever carries in the hand. Very easy to carry and walk around with. They also carry well slung. These are like N frame revolvers.....sure there are more practical choices for today's world.....but if you do the job, they are still quite capable. For a gun you can protect your family with in all fifty states, and hunt with that has no real negatives on the legal perception size...the lever rifle is very viable.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List