Page 102 of 177 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1764

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Oh, my. The lack of a side-loading gate was the sole reason why I never considered buying a centerfire Henry.
    Of course... as my .357 color case hardened with custom serial number that I ordered months ago is sitting at my FFL. I guess I should have waited!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Wipe down and oil when you come in out of the weather or get back to camp. If you’re coming in from the cold into a heated space, or vice versa, be sure to run a couple patches down the bore to clean out the condensation. A bit of oil goes a long way.
    Right. I was referring more to how the owner's manual cautions the owner never to try to disassemble the rifle even a little bit, whereas some people online seem to indicate they tear down the entire gun every time they clean it. Is a basic wipe down sufficient, or are there places in the gun one really should pay attention to that might require at least partial disassembly?

Oops, seems I've forgotten to ask this. Good sling swivels for a 94 Trapper in .45? Currently the only sling mount on the gun is the saddle ring which, as mentioned before, is on the wrong side for my use.

There are of course "no drill" setups, but these are a bit expensive. eBay has some Chinese sling mounts, but the quality of cheap Chinese kit is of course always a big question. And of course there are a lot of U.S. sources for Winchester parts, but typically those won't ship to anywhere outside the U.S....

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Right. I was referring more to how the owner's manual cautions the owner never to try to disassemble the rifle even a little bit, whereas some people online seem to indicate they tear down the entire gun every time they clean it. Is a basic wipe down sufficient, or are there places in the gun one really should pay attention to that might require at least partial disassembly?
    I have never disassembled my model 94s. I should probably learn how to not only disassemble but reassemble them just because good gunsmiths are getting hard to find. Unless your rifle gets totally immersed I'd not worry too much about a detail strip and clean. Keeping a bit of oil in the action seems to be sufficient to keep out rust.

In regards to sling swivels, I've always used Uncle Mike's. There may be better products out there but the UM's have provided yeoman's service for me over the years.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I recently picked up a set of GrovTec 1" Sling Swivels. Very similar in appearance to the Uncle Mikes but I oicked them over the UM in the store as these were shown as made in the US versus China. Very happy with them thus far.

Taking apart a Winchester 94 isnt that difficult. The first one i got at age 14 I took apart, mainly curiosity, but it wasnt difficult and was long before youtube nor did I have any good books describing it. I liked that Marlins were easy to take apart, but as I came to like the Winchesters more and use the Marlins less, realized it wasnt really necessary to take a Winchester apart to take care of it, even if using black powder loads. Whatever you can reach in the action with a rag and toothbrush and solvent then oil was enough to flush or clean out whatever may get in it.

The 94 I got in the 1980s was made in 1927, it had come from a ranch in Az and looked like it had never been cared for in any way, the blue was mostly gone, the action felt like it was full of mud or sludge but still worked, the bore was pitted noticeably. I deep cleaned it, probably for the first time in its life and kept using it. Ive had it apart several times, but none specifically because it required it to clean it. One thing occurred to me over time, if you dont take it apart you cant lose parts. It gets used in rain and snow, in and out in cold weather, often with condensation freezing on the outside and wherever it may find on the gun, it usually only gets a paper towel or shirt sleeve wipe off then back in the wall rack or leaned against the door frame. It always works.

This gun had been used so much the magazine spring had worn through in a couple places, then repaired by overlapping the worn ends and wrapped with some sewing thread. Mag tube damaged, cut shorter and reattached, butt stock looked like it had been used to play baseball with rocks, it was so bad I threw it in the fireplace and used one that someone else had thrown away, it was better than mine by a long shot.

Moral of the story, yes, you can adequately clean and care for a Winchester 94 without taking it apart, and it doesnt take much care to keep one going.

Point of reference, people often say they like other makes than Winchester because you can clean them from the back end, but i dont recall anyone saying they didnt care for M1 Garands, M1A, M1 Carbines, Savage 99s, SKS, AKs, mini-14s, and others I may have forgotten because you cant clean them from the back end. I use a brass cone muzzle guide for the cleaning rod when I have access to one, or just go slow and careful if I dont and never gave it much thought.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Thank you guys, this is good to know. Although the fact that you can't push a cleaning rod into the barrel from the chamber end isn't really a concern of mine - I have an Otis cleaning cable thingy, my cleaning rods are not bare steel, and the gun is a .45 - that's a pretty big hole on the end of the barrel, easy enough to keep a rod from scratching the crown of the muzzle.

One solution, I have used, with barrels that “cannot be cleaned from the breech end,” is to carefully and slowly insert a rod, from the muzzle end, and when the rod reaches the chamber, screw the bore brush into place. There. Cleaning from the breech end. No gunk being pushed into the chamber. It is all about patience. I first did this with revolvers, but then did so with rifles.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Ive put brushes on from the chamber end, but only a chamber brush that wouldnt go through the bore. With the gun upside down, as it naturally lays when supported at the butt and muzzle, the open top action lets anything fall straight out once clear of the barrel/chamber. I dont have a bench I clean on, just hand held. but I think the gun holders used on benches could also hold the gun upside down.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Not at all educational. But fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List