Page 88 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I was just fooling with a friends muzzleloader which had a mid-barrel aperture sight. I found that combination to be neither quick nor precise.

Curious why a set of sights from either XS or Skinner aren't on your list?
    Williams sells a version of that combination in a single SKU that drops right onto Remington factory rifle sights on a 700 or 870. Small screwdriver and you're GTG. I stumbled across it on clearance at an LGS and threw it on an 870, and really liked it. Solved the problems my eyes have with notch-and-post on long guns. It's basically like factory 1301 sights with fiber optic added.

Pieced it together for my Marlin, and happy so far. I like that it drops in to replace the stock stuff and leaves the top of the receiver clear and flat. Satisfies the KISS principle. It's possible I haven't done enough work with them or tried enough other stuff to know what I'm missing.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Skinner rear sights adjust elevation only by spinning the rear in steps of 180 degrees and remounting the aperture to keep it facing the rear .

If you need the height to be somewhere that doesn't fall in those 180 degree steps, you are out of luck.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

This is another interesting aperture option. I've read that it fits Marlin dovetails. This one is priced amazingly well for its condition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264501768405
    Not another dime.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 775
Size:  19.0 KB

This was a Valentine's Day gift from my wife a few years ago. JM Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited in .44spec/.44magnum. It has the Ballard rifling. Shoots like a dream. Everytime I take it out shooting, someone offers to buy it from me.

Hi,I have an opportunity to purchase a Winchester 94 AE Trapper in 44 Magnum,very good condition.I've only had Marlins,though I'm not predigest to other lever gun manufactures(except Mossberg).IAny opinions please? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Hi,I have an opportunity to purchase a Winchester 94 AE Trapper in 44 Magnum,very good condition.I've only had Marlins,though I'm not predigest to other lever gun manufactures(except Mossberg).IAny opinions please? Thanks!
    I inherited mine from my dad. I like it quite a bit, but haven't given it much hard use. It now has the cross bolt safety removed and capped, and ghost ring sights.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    I had a Winchester m-94 in .45 Colt and am on my second Marlin 94 in .44Mag. IMHO The Winchester is a nicer gun but harder to replace parts or disassemble for a thorough cleaning.
    If I found a .44 Winchester Trapper at a slightly outrageous price it would leave the store with me.

Site Supporter

Marlin 1894 CSBL

I bought a Marlin 1894 CSBL https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever...odel-1894-csbl yesterday at Sportsman's Warehouse in Rock Springs, WY. The "sticker price" was $999.99. However, SW was having a loyalty program 10% discount making the price $900.

I have not fired this rifle so, these are preliminary impressions only. I like the XS rear ghost ring and the prominent front sight with a vertical white index line. I'm not thrilled with the rail as it makes the rifle less comfortable to carry at the balance point and I don't intend to mount optics. I may remove the rail and screw the rear sight assembly directly to the receiver. The action is smooth out of the box. The trigger is decent. The barrel appears clocked correctly. I haven't detected any buggered screw heads or other fit/finish flaws yet. The laminated wood stock is utilitarian and the grey color is growing on me. The Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad is a nice touch. The large lever accommodates winter gloves.

I've heard horror stories about Marlin QC/QA after it was acquired by Remington. Hopefully those have been resolved. I will update after sending some rounds downrange. From the Big Empty, ELN.

Name:  Marlin 1894 csbl right side.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  Marlin 1894 csbl label.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  50.6 KB

I stopped by @RexG's favorite pusher this afternoon. They have a Winchester 9422M Trapper that is an incredibly handy little thing with a 16 1/2-inch barrel. I want one, but I'm having real trouble with the prices they're going for. Will have to keep antennae up.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    My father has a 94/22 in .22WMR. It is very well finished. The last time I looked for my own the prices were very high

User Tag List