Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred AR barrels?

Preferred AR barrels?

I was going through my parts bins and realized I have most of a rather decent quality AR sitting there.

Who are the preferred AR barrel suppliers these days? I haven’t wrenched a new one in years.

There’s a little voice telling me to try a different chambering like 6mm ARC - not sure if I’ll listen to it, but I’m open to suggestions for something I can exercise at the farm where I have 1000M available.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

For a general purpose AR, I think Criterion is pretty unbeatable. They are good enough that I don't think spending any more money is worth it unless it is a dedicated precision rig.

No experience myself, but Proof is supposed to be great for a heavy stainless barrel.

Barrel budget - under $500 but that’s squishy. Now that I have a place I can shoot gongs at a distance, something like 6mm ARC which has been intriguing me for a few months now. Doubtful that I would use it for hunting, except maybe pig control out at the ranch.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 03-29-2024 at 08:58 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I’m on the criterion CORE bandwagon. It shoots cheap ammo really well

Part of me is whispering buy a complete upper and be done with it. 6.5 Grendel would scratch the itch.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Part of me is whispering buy a complete upper and be done with it. 6.5 Grendel would scratch the itch.
    You're moving right along, from parts build to complete upper!

I read your OP and didn't know enough about 6mm ARC to post a suggestion. What I do know is that it was designed around an 18 inch barrel for the .mil's multipurpose combat rifle program.

I believe you can find more 6.5 Grendel barrels than you can 6mm ARC right now. I have a LaRue 6.5 Grendel and it is a dinger - I generally shoot at 10" plates on the back berm of our rifle range so about 620 yards, it just thunks them on in there so I'm running less than 2 MOA with Hornady 123gr ELD's - unfortunately they no longer list that barrel or the Ultimate Upper kits.

This thread on Sniper's Hide will give you a headache with the comparisons: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-2024.7202648/
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    You're moving right along, from parts build to complete upper!

I read your OP and didn't know enough about 6mm ARC to post a suggestion. What I do know is that it was designed around an 18 inch barrel for the .mil's multipurpose combat rifle program.

I believe you can find more 6.5 Grendel barrels than you can 6mm ARC right now. I have a LaRue 6.5 Grendel and it is a dinger - I generally shoot at 10" plates on the back berm of our rifle range so about 620 yards, it just thunks them on in there so I'm running less than 2 MOA with Hornady 123gr ELD's - unfortunately they no longer list that barrel or the Ultimate Upper kits.

This thread on Sniper's Hide will give you a headache with the comparisons: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-2024.7202648/
    I’m definitely still in the information gathering stage. 6.5 Grendel appeals over 6 ARC in a bunch of ways, and I think either would work for my purpose.

When I price out what I would need to complete either, it’s actually not much cost difference between piecing an upper together or getting one ready to bolt on. I’ve become quite fond of my two LaRue rifles that were built (assembled) on their complete uppers (a 12” and a 16”, each 5.56) which colors my reasoning a little. The idea of popping a complete 6.5 Grendel upper on this complete LaRue lower is tempting, and I have a friend who desperately wants the stripped upper and HG I’ve been sitting on for a project like this.

Larue still shows a complete 18” 6.5 Grendel MGU upper - yours is different?

Much more research is needed, thank you for that link!
    Ken

I bought my second Criterion CORE, a 16” version to go with my 18” and they both are impressive enough overall that I don’t think I’ll even look elsewhere in the future.

I know nothing of the 6 Arc or anything else except hunting brass sucks. We have a steel range and I’ve thought about getting a single feed sled and trying some 88 grain ELD’s in my 5.56.

Site Supporter
    For 6 Arc I would look at the Proof Research all metal barrels. Though they are known for the air carbon fiber barrels their stainless match barrels are excellent and half the cost of the CF.

Second option - Centurion.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m definitely still in the information gathering stage. 6.5 Grendel appeals over 6 ARC in a bunch of ways, and I think either would work for my purpose.

When I price out what I would need to complete either, it’s actually not much cost difference between piecing an upper together or getting one ready to bolt on. I’ve become quite fond of my two LaRue rifles that were built (assembled) on their complete uppers (a 12” and a 16”, each 5.56) which colors my reasoning a little. The idea of popping a complete 6.5 Grendel upper on this complete LaRue lower is tempting, and I have a friend who desperately wants the stripped upper and HG I’ve been sitting on for a project like this.

Larue still shows a complete 18” 6.5 Grendel MGU upper - yours is different?

Much more research is needed, thank you for that link!
    My Alexander Arms 16” lightweight 6.5 Grendel has vastly exceeded expectations. It was cheap, and it’s not at all heavy. Accurate to around 1150yds.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List