Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: less bulky rifle scopes for my Ruger American Ranch 5.56 (and other non-AR rifles)

less bulky rifle scopes for my Ruger American Ranch 5.56 (and other non-AR rifles)

Looking for some recommendations for smaller, lighter, and less bulky scopes. Primary use case is nothing but recreational shooting from all positions from 25-300m with my Ruger American Ranch 5.56mm. Alternative use case may be to put it on my CZ527 7.62x39 and use it for hog/deer hunting

The Leupold 1.5-4x with the illuminated reticle looks interesting but it's $700. What do people think about low power fixed scopes these days? Would prefer an illuminated reticle too

Would you consider one of the Primary Arms prism scopes? A fixed 3x would probably be suitable.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I have a Leupold 1.5-4X Patrol which I have been extremely happy with. Not sure but I suspect it is the same basic internals as the scope you are looking at. It would work very well for your purposes.

I have an old Burris 2-7 Compact on one of mine.

. Name:  CADC752E-641F-4E61-9EF3-D11190F9E3C2.jpg
Views: 2884
Size:  84.3 KB

I have a Leupold 2-7 Rimfire on an American Rimfire in 22 mag, I believe they offer the same scope (except for the parallax setting) in the center fire line.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Looking for some recommendations for smaller, lighter, and less bulky scopes.
    With Nikon exiting the scope market, we lost a few good choices... and Leupold dropping some models didn't help. The tactical market has become so dominant that a lot of outfits no longer bother with scopes aimed (!) at muzzleloaders and turkey hunters and such.

Anyway... it isn't the world's best LPVO, but a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X is not a bad all-around "smaller" (by today's standards) scope if you can find a good deal on one.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Looking for some recommendations for smaller, lighter, and less bulky scopes. Primary use case is nothing but recreational shooting from all positions from 25-300m with my Ruger American Ranch 5.56mm. Alternative use case may be to put it on my CZ527 7.62x39 and use it for hog/deer hunting

The Leupold 1.5-4x with the illuminated reticle looks interesting but it's $700. What do people think about low power fixed scopes these days? Would prefer an illuminated reticle too
    I have the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 on my American Ranch in 6.5 Grendel. The hogs don't seem to like it.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    The SWFA 2.5-10 might be worth checking out if you don’t mind a 1” tube and don’t need illumination.

I've got a couple 4x Leupold Scopes and really feel that they are ideal for hunting inside 300 yards

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    What do people think about low power fixed scopes these days?
    I sort of blew past this subject yesterday, but I and a surprising number of fellow geezers tend to buy a variable scope only to eventually set it at a certain power and leave it there. We have had discussions and a few laughs recalling how we laughed at people clinging to 4X, 6X and 8X scopes as the world went variable, yet here we are essentially using our variables as fixed powers. Humans remain weird.

I used to have a liking for 2/2.5X scopes because they were still useable fairly quickly, and I didn't really need the magnification as much as I needed clear crosshairs out on the same plane as the target. I eventually got sucked into the light gathering, optics version of "magnumitis" until I had objective lenses WAY larger than I needed for a given power and the scopes were becoming oversized. Something like a Leupold FX-II 2.5x20 still delivers an exit pupil of 8, and unless a person is gifted or lucky, they can't even use that much light after they hit a certain age. Despite my eye issues, I can still squeeze an awful lot from a good fixed 2/2.5 or 4X scope, but I have not bought a new one in ages.

I think a nice, slim, 2.5 X on top of that CZ would still be appropriate if you want to keep the weight and bulk down.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I fondled one of those Primary Arms 3X prisms at a gun show. It's amazing how small it is. The glass has some weird distortions around the edge, but obviously you only see them when you violate the eye box. The only thing that kind of bothers me is that the reticle is only visible if the sight has power (as I understand - maybe I am wrong). So it's basically a magnified red dot with a fancy horseshoe+chevron+BDC reticle.

For those who want a scope, PA make a prism that is between LPVO and a microprism, it's called "ACCS":
    https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...cqb-m2-reticle

It's a bit of a mall ninja device but what the heck, who's going to know in the woods? Certainly not the trash panda on the other side of it.

User Tag List