Page 174 of 178 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post

Malamute:

That's a great quote. Consider it stolen and put to use!

Bruce
    You are probably familiar with Charlie Russells artwork, but if you havent read any of his stories, they are pretty good. He was raised around St Louis, but at about 16 years old left for Montana, it was 1880. He had some interesting times and knew a lot of interesting people. besides his artwork, some of the best of period Western art, he wrote quite a lot.

Heres at least one of his books online, the quote is most likely from this book. https://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks07/0700941h.html

One of my favorites is A Savage Santa Claus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Marion_Russell

He was known to prefer to prefer the company of old frontier types and smoke and drink at the local social houses, aka saloons, and they came to hang around his studio as well. He gathered quite a lot of material to build his stories from. Some are tall tales obviously, though some are likely close to individuals stories or a compilation of things he heard from men he knew.

I need to look up more of Coopers books. I have his Book of the Rifle, and have read To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak The truth.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-03-2024 at 08:54 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    You are probably familiar with Charlie Russells artwork, but if you havent read any of his stories, they are pretty good. He was raised around St Louis, but at about 16 years old left for Montana, it was 1880. He had some interesting times and knew a lot of interesting people. besides his artwork, some of the best of period Western art, he wrote quite a lot.

He was known to prefer to prefer the company of old frontier types and smoke and drink at the local social houses, aka saloons, and they came to hang around his studio as well. He gathered quite a lot of material to build his stories from. Some are tall tales obviously, though some are likely close to individuals stories or a compilation of things he heard from men he knew.
    He was quite a character, complete with rough edges. As you said, he wrote quite a bit... and a fair number of his private letters to people survived because they often included a quick watercolor or marginal sketches.

I think he would have been a lot more fun to hang around than, say, Frederic Remington.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Heres at least one of his books online, the quote is most likely from this book. https://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks07/0700941h.html

One of my favorites is A Savage Santa Claus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Marion_Russell

I need to look up more of Coopers books. I have his Book of the Rifle, and have read To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak The truth.
    Malamute:

Thanks for the link to Charles Russell's book. I know of him via his artwork but never knew he did much writing. I'll read that this winter.

As to Col. Cooper's books, it has been mentioned in this thread that there is (hopefully still) a sale on paperback books at the Gunsite Proshop. Most of the titles were $1.00. I bought my son his own copy of To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth and a copy of Col. Cooper's famous Wednesday lecture on combat mindset ($10.00 for the DVD) for birthday gifts. The Proshop has an online purchase system and they are also able to sell via telephone orders. I think shipping was like $10.00. Essentially you can buy most of Col. Cooper's books for the price of postage. A cup of coffee, a fire in the stove and one of his books is a good way to spend some time in a crazy world.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I wish I had picked up a Marlin 1894 "Cowboy" in .357 before The "Remlin"era.
    I had a late JM one, and it was nice looking but far from smooth, it had two issues that had to be addressed before I even fired it. There was a decline in the quality of the North Haven guns of the final years, but at least they were worth putting the paddles to.

The "Cowboy" was sold to someone who just had to have it; my eyes had finally told me that open iron sights and a longer sight radius were never going to work for me again, so off it went.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Apropos of this, the paperback version of Another Country is on sale at the Gunsite Proshop for a buck.
    Just ordered it and Gunsite Gossip 2, also a buck.
    His bio and Gossip 1 are also a buck.
    Thanks for this! I have his bio and Another Country en route!
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I may have inadvertently given myself another itch to scratch. Saturday I handled a Winchester-Miroku (imported by Browning?) 1866. 24” octagon barrel, .38 Special only. I’m usually not a fan of brass receivers but I woke up early this morning thinking about it…🤔

What’s the word on these? It looks like they’re OOP but I’ve read ‘73 parts will work. Wouldn’t be running it in any SASS/CAS matches, just another fun .38 to have around.

I’m guessing the receivers are brass plated steel or maybe something like bronze?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Manufacturing an Uberti:

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I may have inadvertently given myself another itch to scratch. Saturday I handled a Winchester-Miroku (imported by Browning?) 1866. 24” octagon barrel, .38 Special only. I’m usually not a fan of brass receivers but I woke up early this morning thinking about it…🤔

What’s the word on these? It looks like they’re OOP but I’ve read ‘73 parts will work. Wouldn’t be running it in any SASS/CAS matches, just another fun .38 to have around.

I’m guessing the receivers are brass plated steel or maybe something like bronze?

They arent plated steel, its a brass or bronze alloy. In the 1860s Winchester called it gunmetal I believe. I think the look of the brass framed Winchesters is one of the most attractive and historically interesting guns ever made.

No, they arent as strong as a steel frames action even of the same basic type such as the 1873, but few of us will ever wear one out, and if they do get looser over time, they can be put back in spec by gunsmiths familiar with the type. I believe many or most 73 type parts work in them and theres some aftermarket parts made.

I had an 1866 22 cal carbine in the 70s, it was probably the most fun of any 22 rifle Ive ever had, Id love to get another one. At one point I was shooting a 2500 rd case of ammo through it a month. I liked to line up fired shotgun shells on a ledge and shoot them as fast as I could run the lever. The farm I stayed part time had a rat and mouse problem, I laid waste to vast numbers of them.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks @Malamute!

Brass gun parts other than front sights are generally a hard pass for me. I dislike the tarnished look and I’m not interested in maintaining the brass. If it’s not blued, I prefer a satin silver color or French Grey.

I will probably pass on this because it’s an impulse want rather than something I’ve been planning and looking for but the information is good in case I have a change of heart and it’s still there next time I go back.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks @Malamute!

Brass gun parts other than front sights are generally a hard pass for me. I dislike the tarnished look and I’m not interested in maintaining the brass. If it’s not blued, I prefer a satin silver color or French Grey.

I will probably pass on this because it’s an impulse want rather than something I’ve been planning and looking for but the information is good in case I have a change of heart and it’s still there next time I go back.

Thats kind of funny, the bright would bother me. Im not the least bit into artificially aging anything, but might give the receiver and other parts a little wipe down with orange juice or something to mellow it down and get the initial blinding brightness moderated. I think they start coming into their own in classiness after several years of regular handling carry and use.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List