Page 99 of 178 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

After getting my M1 Garand settled today, I looked at some guns at the LGS. I got to the fondle one of the Marlin 1894 SBL rifles in .44 Magnum. That is the stainless guide gun with a laminated stock and a factory-installed XS peep on a scope rail and XS front post sight. For this part of the country, it is a good feature set. It was made in Ilion (Remington factory) per the rollmark on the barrel, and it looked pretty good. Pricey but nice. I do not have a repeating pistol-caliber carbine and this one is tempting. Not sure I need a pistol-caliber carbine but that has never stopped me.

Has this been discussed yet? Henry 45-70. Small pic rail and M-lok spots at end of the handguard. Threaded bbl. $970 MSRP.

It does need a pic rail or some manner of an optic mount IMO.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/leve...x-model-45-70/

I don't need it. But I want it.

What do you guys think about the XS Express sights for a lever action rifle?

Being left handed, the saddle ring on a Winchester 94 is on the wrong side of the gun to be of much use. How involved would removing it be? Any reason not to remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

Being left handed, the saddle ring on a Winchester 94 is on the wrong side of the gun to be of much use. How involved would removing it be? Any reason not to remove it?
    I had XS on a 1969 Winchester '94 30-30.
    I never warmed up to them [just my eyes I suspect] and switched over to Williams Firesights, with 2 green fibers rear, and a red front. Just line up the colored dots and squeeze.

I have a Trapper in 45colt with a saddle ring. It never bothered me, I just left it on the gun and hung a lanyard from it.
    I believe that it 'should' just unscrew from the receiver.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

As mentioned, the sling ring/saddle ring just unscrews on the Winchester 94s. The filler screw is the same for receiver peep sights or most scope mount plug screws. The recent (post 64) saddle rings are more decorative, the threaded stud is rather small, No 8 I think, or close. The old ones from the late 1800s to 1920s or whenever they were dropped was a 1/4" stud.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter

I had XS ghost rings sights on most of the Marlins I owned and I liked them a lot. Robust, easy to adjust, and very visible.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Has this been discussed yet? Henry 45-70. Small pic rail and M-lok spots at end of the handguard. Threaded bbl. $970 MSRP.

It does need a pic rail or some manner of an optic mount IMO.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/leve...x-model-45-70/

I don't need it. But I want it.
    Seems to be intended as a defensive carbine, but .45-70 is a little overpowered for home defense. Would love to see it in .44 magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser92 View Post
    Seems to be intended as a defensive carbine, but .45-70 is a little overpowered for home defense. Would love to see it in .44 magnum.
    I have one, purchased this model solely for the side gate. I hate the brass receivers.

From this morning's email, the game literally changes:

"Dear Henry Dealers,
    By popular demand, we are excited to announce to you a large transition in our product line to include side loading gates on all steel-framed centerfire lever-action rifles and shotguns that did not already have this feature."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    From this morning's email, the game literally changes:

"Dear Henry Dealers,
    By popular demand, we are excited to announce to you a large transition in our product line to include side loading gates on all steel-framed centerfire lever-action rifles and shotguns that did not already have this feature."
    Outstanding!! I haven't seen any hit the shelves, yet - in the all steel. They'll bury Marlin once Ruger does the typical "Ruger things."

User Tag List