Page 165 of 178 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Having come into possession of a no-safety Marlin 1894 converted “Gunsite Police” custom in 44, I have no need for this:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/1027584969

But the price seems fair to start.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

Good video, I agree with most of his comments, they reflect many of my experiences and biases. The Winchester action in most all types has been my favorite for a very long time, for many but not all the same reasons he mentioned. At this point other makes/types hold no interest for me. I didnt mess with the toggle link actions for most of my life due to the "OMG! Not strong enough!" mindset. I wanted magnum or bear class level load capability in any pistol caliber carbine, and is what I used in my pistols when out in the mountains. One major difference for me is cowboy type competition has never been a significant factor in any of my uses or decision making.

Ive come to appreciate the older type actions like the 1866 and 1873 quite a lot more over time, I dont require magnum level loads for most things id have a pistol caliber carbine for, though I have to say the 357 1873 carbine is one of my favorites now, and still fits the "same caliber as a carry pistol" since Ive become a wimp and use little caliber guns more. In 357 it is significantly more effective than a similar carbine in 38 spl, but can still use the lighter loads for small game and general fun shooting. The rifle calibers of course serve a different purpose, more hunting larger animals and longer range/flatter shooting capabilities relatively speaking. Higher velocity bullets also have a much different effect on game and other uses.

The comments about factory ammo are probably a major consideration for most, though most of my guns other than ones that had cheap surplus ammo available have had little or no factory loads fired in them in the time Ive had them.

I differ from the opinion in the video on barrel lengths, the 19 and 20" barrel carbines are very handy in general use, in and out of vehicles, brush, inside houses, in use as walk around guns. The magazine capacity is enough. I think they are the Goldilocks length and weight for my use. Again, his criteria differs from mine.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-11-2024 at 12:48 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

My personal preference, and it’s just that, are the 16” Trappers.

I have a Browning BL92 with the 18.5” barrel and it’s handy, but not as handy as the Trappers in “handiness” to me.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    My personal preference, and it’s just that, are the 16” Trappers.

I have a Browning BL92 with the 18.5” barrel and it’s handy, but not as handy as the Trappers in “handiness” to me.

I think its a good option for a working or utility/defensive type gun, though in 30-30 I found they are a bit more muzzle blasty than i really cared for if i expected to actually shoot it.

I have a 20" Browning 92 id like to cut to 17", I had a trade going for some parts to JL, but unfortunately he passed before we got the 92 cut. With medium level 200 gr loads the 44 isnt too bad for muzzle blast or recoil.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

LGS got a couple Marlin 1895 Darks in and I'm really liking them. But I'm struggling to come up with a single practical use that I would have for a 45-70.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    LGS got a couple Marlin 1895 Darks in and I'm really liking them. But I'm struggling to come up with a single practical use that I would have for a 45-70.
    They make pretty good rabbit guns with cast bullets. Round ball loads also work great and are a lot of fun.

You can fire 410 shells in them, they sometimes split the case and the extractor doesnt always grab well, bit they fire. Good for about 15 feet before the hole in the pattern gets too big.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I’ve always wanted a Marlin 1894C .357 Mag lever gun. Any reports on how they hold up? And on the new Ruger ones in particular?

Edit: nevermind. After watching the InRange video detailing the drawbacks of the Marlin action in .357, I'll pass.
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 01-12-2024 at 08:23 AM.

I’ve been running a .357 Marlin 1894 since 2009. Probably about 2000 rounds through it the vast majority of which were reloads.
    I have never had a single jam apart from some hangups on the edge of the chamber from sharp shouldered semi-wadcutters. All they took was a little jiggle to feed
    Sample size of 1 and I don’t disagree with Karl’s interpretation. But it has never been an issue for me.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Did a quick 4 miles with the dog yesterday before the big snow hits us starting today. The 94 came along with no issues. No sling either. Just carried it. Only loads in current inventory are the 170s which is just fine. Lots of various sized paw prints that weren’t ours. Current politics aside, IMHO it carries far nicer than either a bolt gun or certainly an AR. I have a receiver red dot mount from Turnbull’s sitting waiting to be mounted. Anxious to see how that works. I have high hopes.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List