Page 5 of 178 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

My 16" Lyman peep sighted Win 94 30-30 is my favorite rifle. I'd part with my Noveske Recce or BCM LW middie before I'd part with it. Rifles don't factor in much to my defensive needs though.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I prefer the 30-30 cause in some small towns that caliber is easy to get.

This lever gun I have kept and won't let go and if I only had one rifle this would be it. A Winchester m55 take down in 30wcf made in 1929.

I roll it up in a leather wrap... so it fits in my backpack.
    I like that I can find 30-30 loads about anywhere. I cant recall ever buying any from a store, but it is nice to know you can resupply relatively easily if need be.

I really like the takedown 55. An old friend had one. I dont think we ever shot it.

I've been thinking on how to make a practical folding stock on a 94 carbine, perhaps the short carbine. Havent come to a conclusion on exactly how yet, but want it to be as clean looking as possible. Been tending towards the hinge/latch of a Law Tactical folder, cut back and welded to plates screwed to the stock in the cut joint. Another project,....

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    The issue is to compare them and determine which is most appropriate for me, for my needs, today. I love lever guns, and mostly enjoy shooting and carrying them, but compared to other designs, I find they tend to come up short. because I like them so much, I tend to re-evaluate them every so often. As I do everything else I use or wish/might/want to use.
    Thats a good outlook. if they are practical and realistic, cool, if not, use what is. I like all sorts of guns, but older ones, and older levers and classic bolt actions most. In my use, I'm more likely to have or need a gun for critters than people, but figure if need be, a hunting/walkaround gun could fill in. I tend to keep fair amounts of ammo in the vehicle. As I understand it, hunting rifle loads seem to be decisive in effect when used in defensive situations.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    My 16" Lyman peep sighted Win 94 30-30 is my favorite rifle. I'd part with my Noveske Recce or BCM LW middie before I'd part with it. Rifles don't factor in much to my defensive needs though.
    When selling stuff to pay bills the last couple years, the levers are at the bottom of the list. A couple have gone, a couple are not part of the consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Thats a good outlook. if they are practical and realistic, cool, if not, use what is. I like all sorts of guns, but older ones, and older levers and classic bolt actions most. In my use, I'm more likely to have or need a gun for critters than people, but figure if need be, a hunting/walkaround gun could fill in. I tend to keep fair amounts of ammo in the vehicle. As I understand it, hunting rifle loads seem to be decisive in effect when used in defensive situations.
    Malamute,

Just to be clear, I'm not diss'n the lever because of any self defense/protection issues in anyway at all. I agree completely with the above quote. It's just that I am wedded to certain performance standards (literally and figuratively:-) Any gun that doesn't allow me to perform as I want becomes problematic for the more practical side of me. In the case of the LA, there are a few things working against it compared to a proper bolt gun or AR.

The design doesn't handle recoil as well as more modern stuff.

The design doesn't allow the trigger finger to be positioned as well as more modern stuff. The pistol grip stocks are better in the regard, but not great.

The stocks don't allow optics as well as other stuff. I have some custom Brockman stocks on my 45-70 to help with this issue, but they only go so far, and are not as good for the trigger finger as the pistol grip stocks.

Prone is a bit awkward.

Slinging up is not as useful because of the design.

Overall they are much less rugged than the others.

The overall safety aspect is not as good. This makes carry and rapid deployment more problematic.

I'm probably leaving something out, but that's most of it. Note that none of that is defense specific, to my mind. It just has to do with good shooting. Not that you can't do good shooting with them, but they are not as user friendly, efficient or easy to get high end performance out of compared to the others.

Even so, with all of those "flaws" I still love them and enjoy packing them around, and will likely continue doing my calculus every few years. One of these years, the pendulum may shift. No matter what, I've really enjoyed shooting them the last few days, as well as talking about them with you guys.

I didnt take it as criticism, just acknowledging your equation of what works for you.

All of what you said is right, no question there. In my rural world, they just fill a use niche that fits my needs, and I'm pretty familiar with them. I also like that pretty much nobody gives a second thought when seeing a lever gun. As I said elsewhere, I'd venture a guess I wouldnt have much trouble getting a ride if I were hitch hiking with a lever gun in this area. We all have to figure out what our priorities are, and decide whats enough to fill them (theres probably always something that may be better if money is no object). For the most part, levers are enough for what I do.

One aspect they really excel at for me is carry. I carry in hand when out in the field mostly. My thumb overlaps my middle fingernail when wrapped around a 94 receiver. I love how thin/small they are.
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-30-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    Anyone have any experience with the Henry 45-70? I've been looking at the one with factory XS aperture sights. I understand the criticism of loading at the mag tube vs having a loading gate. I'm curious if they are a good new gun option. My brief look into the 45-70 world has me a little worried about a new Marlin/Remington gun from a quality standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakus View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Henry 45-70? I've been looking at the one with factory XS aperture sights. I understand the criticism of loading at the mag tube vs having a loading gate. I'm curious if they are a good new gun option. My brief look into the 45-70 world has me a little worried about a new Marlin/Remington gun from a quality standpoint.
    The only Henry I've fired was a .22 but in fit, finish and trigger it put all my Marlins to shame incl Model 39 Century Limited I've had since 1972.
    Last edited by JHC; 08-30-2015 at 11:46 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This thread is going to cost me money. I feel like a Communist, having sold my last model 94 20 years ago.........

Some beautiful rifles in this thread, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    This thread is going to cost me money. I feel like a Communist, having sold my last model 94 20 years ago.........

Some beautiful rifles in this thread, thanks for sharing.
    "Communist faggot" is what Hackathorn called me in a class for not presently owning a 1911. So I bought one; from him.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    "Communist faggot" is what Hackathorn called me in a class for not presently owning a 1911. So I bought one; from him.
    I've heard that same term lovingly used by some SF/SOG guys I used to know. I never realized how effective a sales pitch it could be, though.

Site Supporter
    A suppressed lever gun from book of faces:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Interesting idea but I wonder how much gas to the face you get?
    Last edited by HCM; 09-01-2015 at 11:08 AM.

User Tag List