Page 78 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Well that rifle sure sold fast once I started asking questions about it.

Might have been for the best. The more I think about it, the more I feel the 94 is more for me, at least on paper. The problem is, nobody is selling those, especially in .30-30, and even if they were the price is likely to be out of my reach. Oh well, I'll just have to keep looking.
    There's no 94's in .30-30 anywhere? Why, that's simply unAmeric... oh, right.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

...The more I think about it, the more I feel the 94 is more for me, at least on paper. The problem is, nobody is selling those, especially in .30-30, and even if they were the price is likely to be out of my reach. Oh well, I'll just have to keep looking.
    Thinking about it, for certain parts of the world, a 94 chambered in Commie Thirty (7.62x39) would make sense...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Well that rifle sure sold fast once I started asking questions about it.

Might have been for the best. The more I think about it, the more I feel the 94 is more for me, at least on paper. The problem is, nobody is selling those, especially in .30-30, and even if they were the price is likely to be out of my reach. Oh well, I'll just have to keep looking.
    The marlin 336 is a more practical choice given the optics options.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I think the location of the OP has something to do with the limited availability that he is encountering.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    There's no 94's in .30-30 anywhere? Why, that's simply unAmeric... oh, right.
    Ain't easy being a misplaced redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Thinking about it, for certain parts of the world, a 94 chambered in Commie Thirty (7.62x39) would make sense...
    That is actually a really interesting idea. While the price of that ammunition has gone up significantly from what it once was (especially since the idea of exposing a gun like that to corrosive surplus ammo isn't very tempting), it's still a lot more available and inexpensive than .30-30.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The marlin 336 is a more practical choice given the optics options.
    I've only seen those in .45-70. Which, granted, is a tempting idea... But ammunition price and recoil might make it a tad less practical one. Not that Wind River hasn't planted an idea about a "big medicine" lever gun pretty firmly in my brain.

I'm not really looking to mount an optic on my lever gun. I'd rather keep it handy and light than add a protrusion on top of it.

Site Supporter
    Ain't easy being a misplaced redneck.

That is actually a really interesting idea. While the price of that ammunition has gone up significantly from what it once was (especially since the idea of exposing a gun like that to corrosive surplus ammo isn't very tempting), it's still a lot more available and inexpensive than .30-30.

I've only seen those in .45-70. Which, granted, is a tempting idea... But ammunition price and recoil might make it a tad less practical one. Not that Wind River hasn't planted an idea about a "big medicine" lever gun pretty firmly in my brain.

I'm not really looking to mount an optic on my lever gun. I'd rather keep it handy and light than add a protrusion on top of it.
    Didn’t have to be a scope - MRDS > irons is not just for pistols.

The conventional wisdom is that 7.62x39mm is a non-starter in a tube fed mag. The fear is the point of one bullet will detonate the primer of the bullet ahead of it in the magazine when the gun recoils.

Several people have attempted to debunk that this would actually happen, with debatable success, but it's unlikely that any manufacturers would jump on it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The conventional wisdom is that 7.62x39mm is a non-starter in a tube fed mag. The fear is the point of one bullet will detonate the primer of the bullet ahead of it in the magazine when the gun recoils.

Several people have attempted to debunk that this would actually happen, with debatable success, but it's unlikely that any manufacturers would jump on it.
    I wouldn't mind seeing an economy version of the BLR in 7.62x39.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

Good point, and if I'd thought it through I probably wouldn't have posted it; I was thinking that it's plentiful, relatively cheap, and has .30-30-ish ballistics. OTOH, it should not be that difficult to load a flat- or round-point bullet for tubular magazines, albeit that would negate the "plentiful, relatively cheap" aspect. Of course, they could sell the rifle with a caution against using pointy bullets and if someone disregards that warning they're on their own...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Handiness is the byword of lever rifles. Aperture sights are big improvements over factory buckhorns. I have fun shooting pistol caliber levers but admit that rifle calibers make more sense for hunting. Not all agree and will quote .44 Mag and .45 Colt data of handloads. My current .45-70 lever is a Henry Big Boy bought used.

Some may not know that Henry now offers their centerfire lever rifles with a traditional loading gate. That would be my preference, though the other style has worked for me. If I were using one for a bear gun, I would prefer rifles with the traditional loading gate.

User Tag List