Page 91 of 178 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I'm kinda kicking myself for not buying the .30-30 99 I saw a couple years ago. At least I have one in .243 but I'd prefer one in .308.
    I remember when there was one on almost every used rack in gun and pawn shops. I knew someone that had one in 300 Savage for $100 and couldn't get rid of it.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I remember when there was one on almost every used rack in gun and pawn shops. I knew someone that had one in 300 Savage for $100 and couldn't get rid of it.
    I still see them plenty but they're almost always in .300 Savage, very uncommon for me to find one in anything else. I know a lot of 99 fans really like that cartridge and there's nothing wrong with it but I don't feel like adding it to the ammo cache.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Marlin is coming out with more of their "Dark"series of rifles chambered in .357,.44 and .444.
    A 99 in .358 would be really neat but then again,a 99 in any caliber is really neat.Browning is still has the BLR in
    I've just about convinced myself that the .358 Winchester is about as close as one can get to an all-around, general purpose rifle cartridge with careful hand loading. I've been on the hunt for a decent condition, used BLR in .358 for a couple years now. I even have a hundred or so brand new cases for load development.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

1894 Marlin Limited.

16" .44M.

I have been thinking that I need to do a bit of loading for this gun while I am recuperating.

Ok, who can school me on Savage 99 variants?

I want one with an internal rotary magazine with the counter window in .308, and would prefer a Schnabel forend. I would mount a quality rear peep, and would probably not scope it after all - but if it’s drilled and tapped that would be a plus if I changed my mind in the future.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I'm kinda kicking myself for not buying the .30-30 99 I saw a couple years ago. At least I have one in .243 but I'd prefer one in .308.
    I love my .308 She thumps pretty good though haha. This was a hand me down from my great uncle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Ok, who can school me on Savage 99 variants?

I want one with an internal rotary magazine with the counter window in .308, and would prefer a Schnabel forend. I would mount a quality rear peep, and would probably not scope it after all - but if it’s drilled and tapped that would be a plus if I changed my mind in the future.
    As I understand it, this is the best collection of info on the 99. https://www.amazon.com/Collectors-Gu...4561547&sr=8-2

I have come across a website or two talking about the different variants but I don't remember the URLs. A google search should get you there if you just want to know which letter suffix has the features you're looking for.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I still see them plenty but they're almost always in .300 Savage, very uncommon for me to find one in anything else. I know a lot of 99 fans really like that cartridge and there's nothing wrong with it but I don't feel like adding it to the ammo cache.
    I had one in 300 savage years ago.
    Perhaps one of the softest shooting, but most accurate 30 cal's I've had!
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I've heard some fabulous stories about newer projectiles & loads that make the 30 Savage extend it's range by half-again what it was. I might sign up for such a thing.

Y'know, unless Winchester or Browning does a run of model 1895s in 6.5 Swedish...
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I've heard some fabulous stories about newer projectiles & loads that make the 30 Savage extend it's range by half-again what it was. I might sign up for such a thing.

Y'know, unless Winchester or Browning does a run of model 1895s in 6.5 Swedish...
    The Winchester 1895 is another box magazine lever action that I want but is most commonly found in a .30 caliber cartridge I don't feel like getting into. Plus ammo companies only make runs of .30-40 right before hunting season and the rest of the year it's nonexistent. 6.5 Swedish of 7mm Mauser would be cool. Especially a military pattern that took stripper clips.

User Tag List