Page 57 of 178 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

.30-30 offers terminal performance equivalent and better than both 7.62x39 mm and .300 BLK in a nice, easy handling, old-school "friendly" looking format--there is much to like.

I prefer a handgun caliber lever gun in .44 Mag over .357 Mag, as the larger caliber is more versatile and useful for my uses--typically back country defensive carry.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

@DocGKR, do you still have your data on the 125gr Federal JHP in 30-30?

It is my favorite Thuddy-Thuddy load; light recoiling, very accurate in every Marlin I have had, and the TB was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    While this is a minor quibble on my part; but I've found it a bit tedious to stuff .38s/.357s up the tubular magazine. .44 is about as easy as .30-30. Shooting in the bitter cold I was forever having the tip of a gloved finger caught up in the loading gate stuffing the .357s. Nothing anyone should necessarily weigh very heavily but it irked me.
    This. One reason I did not keep my .357 Marlins, during a herd-thinning some years ago, was that loading the magazine was comparatively tedious and uncomfortable.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    Thumbing through Instagram and Nightforce had this one up that reminded me just how bad I want to find an 1895 GSBL (stainless big loop 1895 with an FNC treatment and a black/green stock). The 1-8x Nightforce might be a bit much, but I don't even think I care.

Attachment 32972
    Damn you, Sharktopus!

I had gotten over the wantsies on everything for awhile now, and you have to post this. Of course, just to make sure there isn't some interesting Marlin I am not at least aware of, I go and get my head around it. NICE. Give it an action job, dial in the accuracy, maybe thread it for a can, and it's the ultimate big bore lever. Even the Skinner sight system is already almost the same as I pieced together for my 1894. Just have to swap out the rear sight element for the ghost ring version, about $13.

Now if they would only make Ballard-rifled 1894Cs in that spec for a few years...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

All this lever-talk has me looking at the 1886 again. Nicely large, easy-to handle ammo. Winchester or Miroku-chester.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    .35s are more common on the east coast. Texas is the land of the treinta-treinta.
    Maybe in the NorthEast. I see more folks with .30/30's than .35's, see more .30/30's for sale on local boards and in local gun shops, and see a LOT more .30/30 ammo available in stores in the SouthEast. I always figured the .35 Rem was more of a West Coast cartridge.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    All this lever-talk has me looking at the 1886 again. Nicely large, easy-to handle ammo. Winchester or Miroku-chester.
    I'm really wanting an 1895SBL. You know, for hunting rapists in the mountains. A decked out 336Y would be more practical though. I have a 20" 336 that I've been playing with and eventually I'll copy whatever configuration I settle on to a 336Y. And probably an 1895 at some point as well.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 12-08-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    Thumbing through Instagram and Nightforce had this one up that reminded me just how bad I want to find an 1895 GSBL (stainless big loop 1895 with an FNC treatment and a black/green stock). The 1-8x Nightforce might be a bit much, but I don't even think I care.
    FWIW, CDNN has been offering some sort of blem version on sale a few times recently.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

You guys have made me browse every possible gun store web sites looking for prices of .30-30 ammunition, again. (About $1.5 and up, with all but one prices being in the $2 and up range. Only is hunting ammunition available. Of course, .44 Magnum would solve the ammunition issue, but it would be a PCC and not a rifle... Damnit, I need multiple lever actions now. )

Levers are the one gun that bit me early and never let go.
    I have many, even with the calibers crossing over or close to each other, but there's just something 'bout 'em.
    Older Winchesters and Marlins only, but the Henry line looks inviting.

My 94 is a 1969 top eject that wears Williams fire sights.
    My oldest is a 1946-7 Marlin 36 [not 336] with a set of Lyman peeps in .32 Winchester special.

I did the whole guide gun thing for a bit, but in the northeast where I hunt, the 45/70 is a bit of overkill.
    If I need 'bigger holes' I have a Winchester Trapper in 45Colt, that when loaded with 325gr. hardcast over H110, will do the job on just about anything in New England.

Levers definitely fall into the 'sickness' category for me.
    Last edited by CSW; 12-09-2018 at 07:02 AM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List