Page 171 of 178 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    This talk of newer designs of lever guns brings my mind back to Savage 99 rifles. Ive flirted with the idea of them off and on, but most of my time doing so was firmly in my "I dont need a scope on a lever gun" period. Thats not now.

Looking at some of the newer things coming around, it seems one can still find pretty decent examples of classics for similar or less money than most new stuff, which in my case tends to make me focus on the classics.

Do any of our esteemed members have experience with the 250 or 300 caliber savage 99 rifles as regards accuracy that they can share? Id be interested in one with the better designed stocks with less drop, I think perhaps the 40s was when they changed but am not certain. I would prefer a 250-3000 due to my advancing decrepitude and desire to move somewhere warmer and grizzly-free.
    Malamute:

We had a Savage 99 in 300 Savage in my family. We reloaded for it and as I recall, the round was very accurate and easy to load for. While I have often thought about finding a 99 in 308, realistically I think the 300 Savage would do everything you need without too much difficulty. We loaded the gun down with Speer 130 hollow points and it was a great varmint round. We killed a number of white tails with it without any drama. The gun was easy to carry, had a decent cartridge capacity, was easy to scope and accurate. If you could lay hands upon a gently used Savage 99 in 300 Savage, I think you would be well served and probably have a true all-around rifle. Even as a grizzly gun, I think you could load either 180 grain rounds or go with a 150 grain Barnes X bullet and do just fine. Since you are a skilled reloader, I don't think the lack of widespread 300 Savage ammo would be too big of a deal. Buy 200 cases, treat them carefully and you'd be set for the rest of your days.

Let me know what other questions you have about them and I'll be happy to respond.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Malamute:

We had a Savage 99 in 300 Savage in my family. We reloaded for it and as I recall, the round was very accurate and easy to load for. While I have often thought about finding a 99 in 308, realistically I think the 300 Savage would do everything you need without too much difficulty. We loaded the gun down with Speer 130 hollow points and it was a great varmint round. We killed a number of white tails with it without any drama. The gun was easy to carry, had a decent cartridge capacity, was easy to scope and accurate. If you could lay hands upon a gently used Savage 99 in 300 Savage, I think you would be well served and probably have a true all-around rifle. Even as a grizzly gun, I think you could load either 180 grain rounds or go with a 150 grain Barnes X bullet and do just fine. Since you are a skilled reloader, I don't think the lack of widespread 300 Savage ammo would be too big of a deal. Buy 200 cases, treat them carefully and you'd be set for the rest of your days.

Let me know what other questions you have about them and I'll be happy to respond.

Bruce

I had a '99 in 300 Savage. One of the softest shooting, most accurate 30 cals I ever owned.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

The smartest thing I could do this morning is put this thread on ignore and block my own access to Gunbroker and Guns International to remove all these intriguing temptations.

Get thee behind me Savage!

And because I have no will power or discipline: https://savagelevers.com/
    Last edited by awp_101; 01-28-2024 at 08:56 AM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    This talk of newer designs of lever guns brings my mind back to Savage 99 rifles. Ive flirted with the idea of them off and on, but most of my time doing so was firmly in my "I dont need a scope on a lever gun" period. Thats not now.

Looking at some of the newer things coming around, it seems one can still find pretty decent examples of classics for similar or less money than most new stuff, which in my case tends to make me focus on the classics.

Do any of our esteemed members have experience with the 250 or 300 caliber savage 99 rifles as regards accuracy that they can share? Id be interested in one with the better designed stocks with less drop, I think perhaps the 40s was when they changed but am not certain. I would prefer a 250-3000 due to my advancing decrepitude and desire to move somewhere warmer and grizzly-free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I had a M99C in .300, it shot Remington Core locks in to one hole. If I remember correctly they were 150 grain round nose. When I couldn't find ammo for it any more I sold it off. Yes, I have regrets but it was pre internet days and I had not settled down so reloading was not in the picture yet. I have my dads M99 in .308. I have not shot it yet but he hunted with it for decades and I remember him making some pretty long shots. I have some concerns about it. He had to have the chamber recut in the late 60s due to shooting to many hot reloads, so there is that. He quit hunting with it because he said he couldn't hit with it anymore. I got it out the other day and found the scope he had put on it was cranked down and was touching the barrel. It wouldnt sit in the rings level so im hoping that this was his issue. When it gets a little warmer I'm gonna find out.
    Thanks.

Curious how the 308 shapes up when you get time to work with it again.

Factory ammo isnt part of the equation for me, and brass can be made pretty easily in either 250 or 300 from commonly available stuff.

My impression is the original chamberings are a little easier on the gun and brass.

Ages ago I read a book by a guy that hunted and trapped all over in the early 1900s. I think he ended up in Maine, he shot everything, including black bears and moose with a 250 and a 38 spl pistol. I could think of a bunch of better choices back then when I read it, but am starting to look at things in a little different light now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Malamute:

Bruce
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I had a '99 in 300 Savage. One of the softest shooting, most accurate 30 cals I ever owned.
    My wife’s grandfather had a 99 in .308, with a scope. It replaced his Winchester .30-30. He shot deer, elk, and just about anything with it. Put down two bull elk one day with one pass-through shot - that was when he got the scope, he couldn’t see the second bull without it. Don’t know who ended up with it when the old man passed, but it wasn’t his oldest son, since my FIL doesn’t have it.

I bought a brain-tanned deer skin from a guy in her home town once. He’d shot it with a 99 in .300 Savage. Always remembered that, and those rifles. Mostly with curiosity, and thought they were beautiful guns.

I think a .250 would be about my speed, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    The smartest thing I could do this morning is put this thread on ignore and block my own access to Gunbroker and Guns International to remove all these intriguing temptations.

Get thee behind me Savage!

And because I have no will power or discipline: https://savagelevers.com/
    Did you know some of the takedown models came with an additional .410 barrel? Means you could get TWO(!) impulse buys for the price of one! 😜

(I didn't know they had a shotgun version till this thread got me surfing Savage 99's last night...)
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Did you know some of the takedown models came with an additional .410 barrel? Means you could get TWO(!) impulse buys for the price of one! 😜

(I didn't know they had a shotgun version till this thread got me surfing Savage 99's last night...)
    I didn't either but there's a .410 only on Guns International...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Thanks.
    Ages ago I read a book by a guy that hunted and trapped all over in the early 1900s. I think he ended up in Maine, he shot everything, including black bears and moose with a 250 and a 38 spl pistol. I could think of a bunch of better choices back then when I read it, but am starting to look at things in a little different light now.
    Do you recall author or title of that book?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Do you recall author or title of that book?
    I believe this is it.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea..._-OOS-_-NOISBN
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I'm glad I sctratched my 99 itch already. I have a .243 in the back of the safe. It took me a while to find one that wasn't in .300 Savage.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Thanks

User Tag List