Page 173 of 178 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I was able to make it to the range today to try out my new Marlin 1894C in .357. I was pressed for time, but it fed .38 SWC handloads, .357 SWC handloads, and Federal 158gr JSP .357 with ease. I only had access to 25yds, but the rifle is easy to get quick hits with. Unfortunately, the sights were about 3” off in windage at that distance. I’ll correct that shortly, though I think the gun will wear an Aimpoint Micro soon.
    Is this one of the new "Ruger" Marlins?

I still toy with putting a new LPVO on my 1894CSS, but it does so well with that old UltraDot that I haven't scratched that itch. Yet. The fact that LPVOs seem to only get bigger, heavier and more expensive isn't sweetening the deal.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Its a bit early in the game, but a 250 may fill the niche Ive been seeking to fill for a mild recoiling walk around and medium big game capable hunting rifle that would cover whatever Id need in Arizona. Black bear and possibly invasive feral boar are probably the largest thing Id need to cover besides deer. I suppose it would work on elk at closer range and good bullets, though the 25-06 is a better tool for that.
    Malamute:

If I recall correctly, Col. Jeff Cooper used the same rifle on his Rio Balsas expedition in the late 50s/early 60s into Mexico/Central American along with a 1911 in 38 Super. I'd say you'd be in good company running a Savage 99 in 250. Col. Cooper wrote about that expedition in one of his books. I'll see if I can find out which one.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Is this one of the new "Ruger" Marlins?

I still toy with putting a new LPVO on my 1894CSS, but it does so well with that old UltraDot that I haven't scratched that itch. Yet. The fact that LPVOs seem to only get bigger, heavier and more expensive isn't sweetening the deal.
    Yes, it’s a Ruger. I don’t have a frame of reference beyond my grandfather’s 60s-mfg 336, but I’ve been very impressed with the rifle’s fit and finish. The wood on my example is quite nice, as is the checkering.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Malamute:

If I recall correctly, Col. Jeff Cooper used the same rifle on his Rio Balsas expedition in the late 50s/early 60s into Mexico/Central American along with a 1911 in 38 Super. I'd say you'd be in good company running a Savage 99 in 250. Col. Cooper wrote about that expedition in one of his books. I'll see if I can find out which one.

Bruce
    It’s in Another Country. That’s one of my favorite chapters in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Malamute:

Bruce

This brought to mind the beginning of a Charlie Russell Story, "Like all things that happen that's worth while, it's a long time ago..."
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    I've owned 7 centerfire Henry lever rifles, and 5 went back to the factory. Then they worked. But that's not my point which is that the stocks have low combs not suitable for scope use. They are a tad low even for iron sights. The new Henry with a 30 shot mag will be an awkward companion. A 10 shot version would be better for bumming around in the woods. My guess is that Henry kept the Marlin bolt with its extractor.

This one does not interest me.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Apropos of this, the paperback version of Another Country is on sale at the Gunsite Proshop for a buck.
    Just ordered it and Gunsite Gossip 2, also a buck.
    His bio and Gossip 1 are also a buck.

I never thought of it this way, but he's not wrong.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    BobM:

You are the man. Thanks for the reference. My son started reading "To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth" over Christmas. He and I chatted about the Colonel's writings and how they influenced me. It seems that the good Colonel is having the same effect on my son.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    This brought to mind the beginning of a Charlie Russell Story, "Like all things that happen that's worth while, it's a long time ago..."
    Malamute:

That's a great quote. Consider it stolen and put to use!

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Apropos of this, the paperback version of Another Country is on sale at the Gunsite Proshop for a buck.
    Just ordered it and Gunsite Gossip 2, also a buck.
    His bio and Gossip 1 are also a buck.
    Feudist:

When my son and I were at Gunsite for the Pat Roger's Memorial Revolver Roundup this past November, we naturally hit the Pro Shop. While I have most of Colonel Cooper's books, my son couldn't pass that offer up. I told him that Colonel Cooper's books were ammo for his soul. He has been enjoying them immensely. Good call on your part.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

User Tag List