Page 136 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by JakeL View Post
    Close range shooting with Winchester 1895. Sadly rifle is sporterized. Good smooth action and fast to shoot. That range day was first time with lever action rifle to me. Very enjoyable experience.

Ironically that is almost exactly how I would want a repro set up for an 1895.
    The ease of loading from the modified magazine, but the handiness of a sporter carbine, with updated sights.
    Chamber it in 6.5 Swedish and you have my dream gun.

I'm probably the only person in the world that wants that combo though.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=SecondsCount;1325802]Those are beauties 😍

Thanks

Is it 45 Long Colt or just 45 Colt?[/QUOTE

The cartridge was originally known as .45 Colt but became known as .45 Long Colt to avoid confusion with the .45 ACP.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    You Sir have a keeper of a wife
    Yes I do
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=MDFA;1325823]
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Those are beauties 😍

Thanks

The cartridge was originally known as .45 Colt but became known as .45 Long Colt to avoid confusion with the .45 ACP.
    .45 Scofield being in the same supply chain may have had something to do with the name change as well.

[QUOTE=MDFA;1325823]
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Those are beauties 😍

Thanks

I was curious because I have been corrected for saying Long Colt.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

[QUOTE=SecondsCount;1325852]
    Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post

I was curious because I have been corrected for saying Long Colt.
    Those people are pedants. They probably correct folks who say clip instead of magazine and talk about “booger hooks” and “bang switches.”
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

[QUOTE=Duelist;1325851]
    Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    .45 Scofield being in the same supply chain may have had something to do with the name change as well.
    I believe it's because the military adopted a modified Schofield round as the (IIRC) 1887 cartridge. It was a .45 Schofield with a turned down rim that still extracted from the top break, but could actually fit in the narrow cylinder of the SAA. But it was shorter than the original .45 Colt that wouldn't work in the 1875s, so it probably originated as a colloquialism to distinguish between the two .45 caliber cartridges that were in circulation but not fully interchangeable. To make sure supply didnt send a unit using 1875s the 'long' Colt .45 ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Ironically that is almost exactly how I would want a repro set up for an 1895.
    The ease of loading from the modified magazine, but the handiness of a sporter carbine, with updated sights.
    Chamber it in 6.5 Swedish and you have my dream gun.

I'm probably the only person in the world that wants that combo though.
    That 1895 was very fast handling and easy to shoot even at longer distances. Sights were very good and easy to see. With rubber recoil pad shooting was enjoyable even with Sellier&Bellot 180gr full power loads. In 6,5 it would be really soft shooting tho.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=MandoWookie;1325882]
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post

I believe it's because the military adopted a modified Schofield round as the (IIRC) 1887 cartridge. It was a .45 Schofield with a turned down rim that still extracted from the top break, but could actually fit in the narrow cylinder of the SAA. But it was shorter than the original .45 Colt that wouldn't work in the 1875s, so it probably originated as a colloquialism to distinguish between the two .45 caliber cartridges that were in circulation but not fully interchangeable. To make sure supply didnt send a unit using 1875s the 'long' Colt .45 ammo.
    Your explanation makes more sense than what I had been told given the era of those two rounds being produced and used vs. when .45 ACP came on the scene.

[QUOTE=MandoWookie;1325882]
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post

Is there a difference now between the two ammos? My understanding is they are the same in modern ammo? If I’m wrong in that I need to be set straight.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List