Page 109 of 178 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I beg to differ Sir!

They make great travel companions.
    Only thing that could make that pic look better would be to add the original red stained wood grips to the Baer.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Nice photo I’m a fan of the old school skip line Herretts, but whether or not they go together esthetically wasn’t really the point.

I understand what you are saying. I simply would not feel poorly armed with a lever action and a 1911 if some clown started shooting at people after robbing a bank, or he started shooting a church and he needed shot 2 rows across a parking lot.

No. It would definitely not be my first choice that I would grab from my safe. I have ARs for that. I consider a quality AR with an LPVO, Red Dot, or ACOG and RDO combo to be a much better choice, set up in your typical RECCE type configuration for general purpose defense/offense work to cover any scenario that I may find myself in. Same with pistols. I would certainly prefer a G34/17/19 over a single stack 1911, and would grab one before I would grab my 1911. They are simply more appropriate tools for the job.

That said, I have used a 1911 in a martial capacity and found it very much up to the task. It may not be considered cutting edge today, but it will get the job done. I have stopped more than a couple people's violent courses of action with a 1911 in hand.

Sometimes you may not have the "ultimate" set of tools in the tool box, and that is fine, because you possess skill sets that are more important than hardware types.

I was once (years back) discussing guns/hardware with a newly elected Sheriff over breakfast one morning. He asked me what I liked and I told him what I preferred as far as guns that would be useful for the role of hunting guys that were on the warrants list. I also told him that in the end it really did not matter. If he gave me a 12 gauge and a pickup, I would still come back with my fugitive one way or another.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I handled a pre-owned, very-well-preserved, straight-stocked BLR, .308 Winchester, a couple of days ago. I am fighting the urge to go back and put it on lay-awake. It is the version that uses the currently-available magazines, but pre-dates the folding hammer, that acts as a safety mechanism.
    I have that very rifle. I'm in the process of taking off the old Weaver K6 and mounting a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6. I'll snap a couple of glamour shots when I'm done to enable...errr...help you decide whether to buy it.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I understand what you are saying. I simply would not feel poorly armed with a lever action and a 1911 if some clown started shooting at people after robbing a bank, or he started shooting a church and he needed shot 2 rows across a parking lot.

No. It would definitely not be my first choice that I would grab from my safe. I have ARs for that. I consider a quality AR with an LPVO, Red Dot, or ACOG and RDO combo to be a much better choice, set up in your typical RECCE type configuration for general purpose defense/offense work to cover any scenario that I may find myself in. Same with pistols. I would certainly prefer a G34/17/19 over a single stack 1911, and would grab one before I would grab my 1911. They are simply more appropriate tools for the job.

That said, I have used a 1911 in a martial capacity and found it very much up to the task. It may not be considered cutting edge today, but it will get the job done. I have stopped more than a couple people's violent courses of action with a 1911 in hand.

Sometimes you may not have the "ultimate" set of tools in the tool box, and that is fine, because you possess skill sets that are more important than hardware types.

I was once (years back) discussing guns/hardware with a newly elected Sheriff over breakfast one morning. He asked me what I liked and I told him what I preferred as far as guns that would be useful for the role of hunting guys that were on the warrants list. I also told him that in the end it really did not matter. If he gave me a 12 gauge and a pickup, I would still come back with my fugitive one way or another.

CHEERS!
    I’d be fine with a 1911 - it would not require any TTP changes other than more emphasis on reloads.

However while a Garand, M1 Carbine, win 1907 etc is still viable with modern TTPs, if manually operated long guns were the only option I would rather have a carbine-ish bolt gun or a shotgun with good sights and slugs than a side gate lever gun. A Win 95 would be an improvement, especially if you could run stripper clips, or a BLR with a 10 round mag but levers in general tend to be more fragile when run hard vs bolts IME.

I suppose what you are oriented towards might matter in this case.

I understand what you are saying, and yes, the M1 Garand is definitely a solid battle choice. That said, I don't carry a rifle with the sole purpose of engaging other humans in combat. In fact it is not even at the top of the list. I might shoot at a coyote, put down a sick cow, go for a stroll in wolf country, or put down vehicle struck animals such as cattle, horses, elk, etc. Or I might defend an innocent family (mine or who knows) from a knot head who is killing people.

This is not uncommon:

She was put down with a 1911, but if she had been semi-mobile a 30-30 would have been a good choice over the handgun.

The reason I might choose to carry a lever action on some days (or a short, light scoped bolt action) over an AR might be different than someone who lives in suburban Austin/Atlanta.

It is good to have choices.

CHEERS!
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    However while a Garand, M1 Carbine, win 1907 etc is still viable with modern TTPs, if manually operated long guns were the only option I would rather have a carbine-ish bolt gun or a shotgun with good sights and slugs than a side gate lever gun. A Win 95 would be an improvement, especially if you could run stripper clips, or a BLR with a 10 round mag but levers in general tend to be more fragile when run hard vs bolts IME.
    Amen, and amen.

I am glad to be retired, out of the peace officerin’ business, but, hypothetically, if an old friend were to insistently call in a favor, or ask an urgent favor, immediamente, I’d want to bring my Benelli M2, that was my 2016-2018 duty shotgun, and, for the handguns, any two of my several Ruger DA revolvers would do. (I don’t trust my gimp right hand not to induce a numb-thumb/limp-wrist malfunction, and though I can shoot handguns lefty, have been carrying at 0300 since 1984.)

I don’t see myself loading anything through the side gate of a lever rifle, during a fight, unless I just don’t have a handgun to which I can transition. Maybe if I had a .45-70 lever rifle, it would be expedient to shove those easier-to-handle cartridges through a loading gate.

It would, indeed, be nice to get my hands on some of those Aussie .308 10-round BLR mags. Last I checked, it was no simple matter.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quoted for reference.

The part about zeroing is good info. Very practical, as pretty much any critter one may feel the need to put a bullet into can be dealt with with a zero such as this. Two inches up, two inches down on a coyote, communist, deer, Jackalope, elk, or whatever else has a "sweet spot" that this easily covers.

I was just putting a Williams Fool Proof peep sight that had previously been on a Marlin 336 (that currently wears an older American made Burris compact 4x scope), on the Winchester, and reading the thread and came across this little nugget of Malamute's wisdom, and definitely agree. So I figured I would bump it.

Name:  IMG_1287.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  43.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1288.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  40.3 KB
    Totally agree on the William's Fool Proof. It turned my 1895 in 30-40 into a very usable rifle. 30-40 has that "softball-lob" ballistics arc that really plays well in an open sighted "hunting" rifle.
    I live so "rural", that "fighting" rifle is about a 3rd or 4th level need. Although, I suspect it will suffice if I really need it to fill that role, considering my personal threat level.

It pairs up nicely with my 57-5 Mountain Gun, as a do-all, outdoor prairie stomping around outfit.
    Although, at least once a month I have to talk myself out of having Alex at American Classic Gunleather whip me up a "Hamer Rig" for it. Having my pistol and rifle ammo on the same belt sure would be nice.
    Name:  Hamer.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  97.6 KB
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

What I thought was a K6 was actually a Redfield 6x. Regardless it came off and the SE 1-6x took its place courtesy of a pair of Leupold medium 30mm rings. Hopefully I’ll get to the range in a couple of weeks to zero.

I’m really digging this setup on 1x. The reticle lines up with the barrel and front sight post. It will be interesting to see if that helps or hinders.

Out with the old...

Name:  5D6070ED-D8E3-4D2C-8664-121E90B3050B.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  21.4 KB

Name:  BF09470F-5309-4DD6-A0E3-984CD926C915.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  27.4 KB

...and in with the new.

Name:  70503D25-FF71-4B7B-92DE-A7228824D067.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  1AA39541-DC98-4344-BD8A-0644BB82BFB5.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  72.6 KB
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

So......I’ve been following some of this thread and have become quite intrigued with lever guns as of late. And wouldn’t mind some advice from P-Forum on a potential purchase.

Some background; I own multiple 357 revolvers but I’m thinking I’d prefer a “big bore” as I wouldn’t be able to take advantage of carrying a handgun and rifle with the same chambering due to my states hunting laws (rifle only or revolver only). This rifle would be used for hunting whitetail and potentially some tougher game (hogs/bear) in the future and for the pure fun of running a levergun at the range. So I’m looking at a 45-70 based on what’s available on the commercial market as I sold my reloading equipment 5-6 years ago. It seems to have the best availability of mild to wild (looking past the current ammo shortage).

I’d like to have something fairly handy in the 34”-36” OAL range. I don’t mind having to put a little work into whatever I get to make it what I want but I also don’t want this to turn into another “1911 build” for me. Looking at what’s out there the Marlin 1895 Trapper had my eye for a while but prices have climbed to retarded levels over the past few months. Henry has a nice all weather equivalent but it’s touch over my preferred OAL parameters. I really don’t know much about Uberti or Winchester but wouldn’t mind getting educated on them either.

Thoughts or advice? I love blued guns but can’t seem to find anything just right. Maybe wait until Ruger starts the Marlin line back up?

Edit: I know 30-30 probably makes more sense on paper but I always wanted a big bore rifle just cause.
    Last edited by NPV; 02-06-2021 at 05:07 PM.

I have that Marlin and cannot say a bad thing about it. Mine was made circa 2017 and I picked it up on sale at Academy Sports back in 2018 for $499. Only changes I made were switching from the factory notch and post to an XS rear peep sight which required a taller front sight (I should have bought the combo from XS) and I had to lighten the loading gate spring a bit to make it easier to deflect. I got the safety delete screw from Beartooth Outfitters in Cody, easy install. I did that since that crossbolt safety is not part of my manual of arms for a levergun, and that had to go for me to carry it in the Rocky Mt. West where it's presence was solely for predator defense while camping.

I will be looking for the newly announced Winchester 1886 saddle ring carbine (Japanese made) when it is released later this Spring. It has a steel buttplate which will require me to cut the stock and install a pachmyr decelerator pad cause .45-70 becomes a torture device with a steel butt plate. I would say the same applies to all the other 1886 tribe currently made as I don't see any without the metal butt plate. Some are the old curved U style which makes it worse.

I have never aspired to scope one in .45-70 mainly because of the limited range of the cartridge. A red dot would make sense but the traditionalist/CAS in me throws up in my mouth thinking about it.

User Tag List