Page 77 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    A repro forend is $67US, and according to the "terms" page, they ship internationally.

Don't think of it as buying something. Think of it as rescuing a classic rfile.
    That's probably not going to be the same as the forend as what would be on a Russian military 1895. I guess it might be possible to make it look like a normal 1895.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    That's actually a very good point. Ammunition availability is fair, and the price is certainly nice. My problem is, an old Russian service rifle that was later sporterised lacks the sort of Old West charm that a nice 94 carbine in 30-30 would have. And I think that is what draws me towards the lever actions in the first place. If I were able to collect several Winchesters, certainly the 1895 would have earned its place among them. But as an only lever action rifle, I'm not so sure.

Maybe I have to take a road trip and go see the rifle for myself.
    Oh, I don't know. An ex military Winchester 95 has a distinctly 19th century steampunk thing going that nothing else really does.
    And for all of its faults, 7.62 x 54r is a decently accurate cartridge with real oomph. Plus, Winchester with a charger bridge for stripper clips? Oh, my.
    That is a rifle I might sell other rifles to own.

Note the bottom rifle.

Name:  18952.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  55.2 KB
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 06-30-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

If I start haunting Cabela's Gun Library my wife is coming after you guys.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    If I start haunting Cabela's Gun Library my wife is coming after you guys.
    If your haunting it, you wife has already killed you and sold your guns for what you told her you had in them!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Joke's on her. He'll just buy them all back from Cabela's Gun Library again, using (now) her CC info.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Happy to see there are some positive mentions of the Italian guns ITT.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Medicine on the left, BIG medicine on the right. Boy shown for scale.

Name:  3C8EB0B6-3D04-4FB5-8AA9-0F1F47AA0BB6.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  30.6 KB

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Kinda a dumb question, but thought I would tap the knowledge base here nonetheless...

I have a 94 that currently sports a receiver sight I installed. In lieu of that, what type of rear sight seems to work best for aging eyes? There are any number of “buckhorn” and “semi-buckhorn” and more “squared off/traditional profile” sights available. Same with the front...blade, bead, etc... If one were to replace the receiver sight (or perhaps acquire another lever gun *cough*) what would the best alternative be? I like the idea of the compact nature of the open factory sight.

Thanks!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Kinda a dumb question, but thought I would tap the knowledge base here nonetheless...

I have a 94 that currently sports a receiver sight I installed. In lieu of that, what type of rear sight seems to work best for aging eyes? There are any number of “buckhorn” and “semi-buckhorn” and more “squared off/traditional profile” sights available. Same with the front...blade, bead, etc... If one were to replace the receiver sight (or perhaps acquire another lever gun *cough*) what would the best alternative be? I like the idea of the compact nature of the open factory sight.

Thanks!
    I think the receiver sight is best, but dont care for some of the funky ones using the top holes meant for scope bases on the Winchester 94 angle eject guns. A squared blade front sight in my favorite, the old Sourdough type, or a plain steel blade like later 94 Winchesters had on some variants, painted super bright orange. First choice in the angle eject Winchesters would be a low power scope with leupold mounts and low rings.

For barrel sights, i like the flat topped ones more than buckhorn or semi buckhorns, but they can be managed. Ive filed a couple semi buckhorns to flat topped. A nice square sighting notch is nice also, allowing some daylight on the side, like opening up ak sights.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    (There is a cheap 1895 available... But it has been sporterised.)
    Well that rifle sure sold fast once I started asking questions about it.

Might have been for the best. The more I think about it, the more I feel the 94 is more for me, at least on paper. The problem is, nobody is selling those, especially in .30-30, and even if they were the price is likely to be out of my reach. Oh well, I'll just have to keep looking.

User Tag List