Page 76 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Every time this thread pops up I end up looking online for lever action rifles in my country. Every. Damn. Time.

(There is a cheap 1895 available... But it has been sporterised.)
    Cool! What caliber?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Cool! What caliber?
    7.62x54R. Which is pretty much what all of them are over here, since they are all from the same batch of obsolete Russian rifles that made their way here at one point.

Not a bad caliber for my area. Whole bunch of old guns around in that caliber, so ammunition is still available.

I'm just not sure if "de-sporterising" the thing would be possible. I imagine not a lot of spare front stocks around for those old things.

Site Supporter
    7.62x54R. Which is pretty much what all of them are over here, since they are all from the same batch of obsolete Russian rifles that made their way here at one point.

Not a bad caliber for my area. Whole bunch of old guns around in that caliber, so ammunition is still available.

I'm just not sure if "de-sporterising" the thing would be possible. I imagine not a lot of spare front stocks around for those old things.
    1895’s were originally sporting guns which were “militarized” so unless the work was poor quality I would not let that stop me.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    1895’s were originally sporting guns which were “militarized” so unless the work was poor quality I would not let that stop me.
    That's actually a very good point. Ammunition availability is fair, and the price is certainly nice. My problem is, an old Russian service rifle that was later sporterised lacks the sort of Old West charm that a nice 94 carbine in 30-30 would have. And I think that is what draws me towards the lever actions in the first place. If I were able to collect several Winchesters, certainly the 1895 would have earned its place among them. But as an only lever action rifle, I'm not so sure.

Maybe I have to take a road trip and go see the rifle for myself.

...old Russian service rifle that was later sporterised lacks the sort of Old West charm that a nice 94 carbine in 30-30 would have. And I think that is what draws me towards the lever actions in the first place...

Maybe I have to take a road trip and go see the rifle for myself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ariz...pr=1.1#imgrc=_

sorry, crappy picture, this was Teddy Rosevelt's favorite rifle...from Cody Museum

Name:  teddy rosevelt rifle from the Cody museum.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  24.1 KB

This one was a .405, allegedly the one he carried everywhere. Nothing gets any more "authentic west" than that for me...

Name:  teddys rifle 2.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  33.4 KB
    Last edited by fatdog; 06-29-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Gasp.

I NEED one of those 1895 rifles....

Where do I get one?

Alright you guys! I just emailed the shop to double check they still have that rifle for sale. You bunch of enablers...

Seriously though, you guys are the best.

Had a pair of 1873’s with me at the farm. Good day.

Name:  06ECB498-9645-4CEA-B782-1F92858D6512.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  30.2 KB

Alright you guys! I just emailed the shop to double check they still have that rifle for sale. You bunch of enablers...

Seriously though, you guys are the best.
    A repro forend is $67US, and according to the "terms" page, they ship internationally.

Don't think of it as buying something. Think of it as rescuing a classic rfile.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List