Page 85 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    So you're saying it was likely a much cooler version of something like a commemorative belt buckle?
    Yes.

Smith made a number of guns, model 66s in some instances, that were honoring or commemorating or whatever term applies, to some LE organizations. I recall one or two oriented to Highway Patrols in different states.

https://www.google.com/search?q=s7w+...ih=568&dpr=1.1
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-01-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Anybody (@Dagga Boy, or @jetfire, perhaps?) have knowledge of the mission driving this gear train? Seems like it would have been things like putting down animals struck by vehicles as humanely as possible, or something along those lines. Would be interesting to know the story.
    Having not heard of something like this, my guess would be the same as those below, that this was the cooler version of a belt buckle/retirement gift.

Which to be honest, a .357 Magnum #1 hits me right in the "man this gun is so weird and quirky I have to have it" button.

Ok, I must admit, I spent about 30 minutes scouring GB for Ruger No.1 in 357 today. Of course, that's on top of the hour or so I spent looking for levers. Man I have a hankering for a 357 lever gun of one sort or another. Jerks.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    A 336 in .35 Remington is quite a bit cheaper, but then you need to hand load.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Ok, I must admit, I spent about 30 minutes scouring GB for Ruger No.1 in 357 today. Of course, that's on top of the hour or so I spent looking for levers. Man I have a hankering for a 357 lever gun of one sort or another. Jerks.
    One day, after I feel satisfied with my stockpile of evil semiautos and mags, I will have a Marlin 1894 CST unless they come out with an 1894 Dark. And an 1895 SBL. And I'll probably get a 336 GBl.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Well, transpose the “5” and the “7,” and you have .375, for which you should get some hits.

Of course, .375 H&H will recoil a wee bit more than .357 Magnum. I know, because I have a No. 1 so chambered, in case any exotic bovines escape from the zoo. (Actually, I have a latent, but persistent, idea of walking the earth where large mammals roam free, and in addition to the No. 1, also have a left-hand Winchester 70 Safari Express, .375 H&H.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Of course, .375 H&H will recoil a wee bit more than .357 Magnum. I know, because I have a No. 1 so chambered, in case any exotic bovines escape from the zoo. (Actually, I have a latent, but persistent, idea of walking the earth where large mammals roam free, and in addition to the No. 1, also have a left-hand Winchester 70 Safari Express, .375 H&H.)
    Every red blooded American should own a rifle (preferably a Winchester model 70) chambered in 375 H&H Magnum.

Are there any tricks to keeping the 336 fed? Modifications that make it easier?

I find it very challenging to load rounds through to loading gate with ANY degree of speed.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Are there any tricks to keeping the 336 fed? Modifications that make it easier?

I find it very challenging to load rounds through to loading gate with ANY degree of speed.
    Its been a long time since I messed with a 336, but with the Winchester 94, I grab a few rounds, up to the 6 it will hold and put them bullet end between the fingers (2 per space between fingers) on my left hand just ahead of the receiver and load one rd at a time and grab another from the fingers easily. Not great with pistol calibers but works nice with 30-30s. A pocket or shell bag like shotgunners use, or a cartridge belt all help with cartridge management. In a pocket I try to keep the shells pointed the direction they need to be in my hand to load as I pull them out.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Its been a long time since I messed with a 336, but with the Winchester 94, I grab a few rounds, up to the 6 it will hold and put them bullet end between the fingers (2 per space between fingers) on my left hand just ahead of the receiver and load one rd at a time and grab another from the fingers easily. Not great with pistol calibers but works nice with 30-30s. A pocket or shell bag like shotgunners use, or a cartridge belt all help with cartridge management. In a pocket I try to keep the shells pointed the direction they need to be in my hand to load as I pull them out.
    I'm sorry, I was imprecise and unclear.

After taking a Darryl Bolke's class a couple times, I can keep an 870 fed fairly efficiently. I've had no problem keeping up with the pace of the class, including Rolling Thunder.

It's been a couple years since I've dusted the ol' 336 off, but I remember it taking me several seconds of deliberate fiddling around with each individual round. There's no way it's happening under any pressure.

ETA: I ran across the Ranger Point Precision Flyweight Loading Gate which peaked my interest. Loading the my lever gun doesn't look anything like how he did it in his video. Quality product? Useful? Hardware solution to a software problem?
    Last edited by David S.; 10-02-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    David S.

User Tag List