Page 69 of 178 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I run a lever gun. One young whippersnapper smirked that "If you ever get into a fight with guys with ARs or AKs, you'll wish you had a different rifle." I observed that might be true, but I could virtually guarantee that some folks would wish I didn't have a lever action, and when all the dust settled there would be a decent chance that there might be some ARs or Aks laying around their original owners couldn't use anymore...
    Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from the character Mal Johnson in the film "Silverado":

"Mister, you ever seen what a Henry rifle can do in the hands of somebody who knows how to use it?"
    Ordinary guy

Deep metal box magazines allow one to stay in a fight longer, but, IMHO, that is largely irrelevant within most of the USA, if not all of the USA, where the first one to three shots will probably decide a rifle confrontation, with the better-prepared rifleman prevailing.

I know that some of the nay-sayers think that one must remove the buttstock from the shoulder, to work the lever. Fine: I will let them continue in their mistaken belief.

I do have an AR15 rifle, but only because, once upon a time, I was an LEO, with “patrol rifle” status, plus, I like the concept of every able-bodied citizen, of sound mind, having the ability to answer the call of duty, in a dire situation, with a standard US military rifle. (I do have an AR15-based pistol, but that is a different niche.) This AR15 rifle is much like the extra canned food we keep on hand, rather than an everyday tool.

My reality is that I if have several minutes’ notice of serious trouble, at a distance beyond buckshot range, the rifle that will be in my hands will probably not be auto-loading, but a turnbolt- or lever-actuated rifle. I live in an neighborhood where I feel that a shotgun is the better long gun, of choice, nearest at hand, but, having said that, I recently bought his-and-hers Winchester 94 .45 Colt Trappers, which, after function-testing, may be kept nearer at hand.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-22-2019 at 06:51 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    A lot of old guy / FUDD fantasy in this thread. Y’all have have been watching too much Longmire.

I like lever guns just fine but like revolvers and bolt guns, I’m realistic about what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A lot of old guy / FUDD fantasy in this thread. Y’all have have been watching too much Longmire.

I like lever guns just fine but like revolvers and bolt guns, I’m realistic about what they are.

They aren't for Syria and AFG but I know you don't think they are ineffective for CONUS home defense. Leverguns and 1911s baby!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter

I have more AR's than I do lever rifles. I shoot both platforms, and I'm comfortable with either. Lever rifles have usually been my choice when electing to take a rifle along as a companion when fishing or merely fooling around on rural acreage. Sometimes I have carried a light weight single shot 45-70. If escaped prison inmates were out and about, I would stay home. If desperados were in the area, I would stay home. My stomping grounds are working ranches. Dope cooking has not been a problem in these locales. When I see snakes, I walk around them. In the unlikely event I would encounter trouble, the lever gun would likely suffice. For me they make good companions. If the lever rifle were the only long gun that I owned, I would not think that I was inadequately equipped as long as I could also have a repeating 12 gauge shotgun.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’ve been carrying an older 94 on road trips of late. It’s slung behind the rear seat of the truck in a covered saddle scabbard to make it all legal. Along with a couple of boxes of 170gr softpoints, I don’t feel a bit undergunned. Now, if I could figure out how to carry said 170gr ammo on my plate carrier, I’d give those damn punks something to really laugh about!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    They aren't for Syria and AFG but I know you don't think they are ineffective for CONUS home defense. Leverguns and 1911s baby!
    Adequate yes, more often than not. Optimal ? No.

The “Longmire” syndrome of a dude with a lever gun vs multiple opponents with AKs or ARs is a fantasy. A good hand with an AR would need to be lucky in such a situation.

It’s just like the scout / bolt gun folks who all think they are the reincarnation of Simo Häyhä.

A 1911 is not an appropriate pistol comparison to a lever gun. A 1911 is more akin to a Garand or an M1 carbine.

Adequate yes, more often than not. Optimal ? No.

The “Longmire” syndrome of a dude with a lever gun vs multiple opponents with AKs or ARs is a fantasy. A good hand with an AR would need to be lucky in such a situation.

It’s just like the scout / bolt gun folks who all think they are the reincarnation of Simo Häyhä.

A 1911 is not an appropriate pistol comparison to a lever gun. A 1911 is more akin to a Garand or an M1 carbine.

Definitely right! It was not meant as a comparison. It is a delicious pairing like a full bodied merlot and a medium rare ribeye.

(and they both are currently "trending" on PF)
    Last edited by JHC; 05-23-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Years back, a logger acquaintance of mine bumped into what was apparently some growers while surveying some state land for harvesting. Hijinks ensued. He was armed with a .45, his usual SOP while out on foot or on the skidder. After it was all over, and he and the Sheriff surveyed the area, it became apparent that the other team had at least 1 5.56 among them. Lots of those empties, not a whole lot of .45. Can it happen? Absolutely. Is it something that 75% of us will never even have a chance of being exposed to? More than likely. I just try to match the tool to the chore. FWIW, this is the usual long gun that rides with me on significant road trips.

Attachment 38394Attachment 38394

I will bet a solid PF dollar that most of those young Tac Timmies sniffing at "Fudd Guns" will come to have the regrets in a few years, and will becry the great firearms they let get away because they were young and stupid.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List