Page 30 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I will likely be grabbing a Marlin Youth lever action in 30/30 next week as it is priced right and I like the size.
    Had one of these in my hands today. It seems to balance about like a 20" gun. I'll probably end up with one sooner rather than later.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    FWIW I've hunted for years with a 1-4x and a 2-7 and in 99.99% of those total hours my scope was set to 2X. (Woods hunting).

Though I never use this gun, the balance, scope position, and 2.5x combined makes for a very fast handling little setup. If I lived somewhere where the shooting was normally close and fast at fleeting targets, this one would be a top contender. I can say that it is hell on jackrabbits in the tall sagebrush.

I sell firearms for a living,the QC issues that I've seen with the Marlin/Remington rifles seem to be limited to cosmetics,they ship a lot of rifles where the forend doesn't match the stock.The metal to wood fit also isn't the greatest but it also wasn't great the last few years before Marlin became part of Freedom Group.The current built Winchesters are beautiful,I'm sorry there not doing any Trappers.I've sold a bunch of BLRs over the years,no problems but guys aren't putting hundreds of rounds through them,there is one gunsmith that I know of that will do trigger work.Henrys are made here in New Jersey(hard to believe),Bayonne to be exact,I think I've read there building some in WI also(I could be wrong),solid guns.Personally I'd buy a used or new Marlin,though I'm keeping my eye out for a Winchester Wrangler or Trapper also.Buy the way,really nice lever actions you guys have.
    Ronk

I saw a picture of a Henry in .41 Magnum someone had recently bought.
    It sported Made In Rice Lake, Wisconsin on the barrel.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Nyeti has some good points. A Marlin 1894 in .38/.357 flies right past even the "everything's an assault rifle" rules currently making their way around Sacramento. The extra barrel length gives a non-plus-P 125gr .38SPL the velocity of a good 124gr 9mm load. I think it would be interesting to take a smoothed-up one to a CA defensive carbine class and run courses of fire on the clock against 10-round "bullet button" ARs.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    These guys have basically built a business around Marlins. Based on the latest ones they bought to build, they will no longer work on current production.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ra...lify-them.html

When I started in LE in 2003 I worked for a small rural agency. My first patrol rifle was a Winchester 94 in 30-30 that was aquired from someone before I started. The PD had every item of evidence ever collected from the beginning of the department. we had no longguns and no money to get longguns. I worked the 11p-7a shift. Besides the one gas station near the interstate everything was closed by midnight and everyone was asleep (except those that wanted to steel Anhydrous). Anyway the 94 was the most suitable for the task as Patrol Rifle most were .22's or junk. I researched the case and completed the paperwork to have it disposed to us and got the Chief to approve it. I wasn't allowed to go to the Village meeting, but was told my proposal caused a stir. Anyway we started carrying that as a Patrol Rifle until I disposed enough other stuff to trade for 3 Bushmaster Patrolman Carbines ammo mags etc. I didn't know anything at that time and the options were not what they are now.

I moved on and after a few years the Chief called me and said that he got approval to sell the 94 and I jumped on it for $200 donation to the departments shop with a cop. I gave it to my dad for defense of my inheritance.

Currently I own a 336 in 30-30 and a Henry Big Boy in 44 mag which also shoots 44 Special. I need to get them out and shoot.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Kind of unorthodox but I have two 12 gauge levers here which I'll be testing tomorrow...these are the Adler A110s that made the news in Australia.

The 13" barreled edition is horribly appealing. Pics tomorrow if anyone is interested.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    These guys have basically built a business around Marlins. Based on the latest ones they bought to build, they will no longer work on current production.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ra...lify-them.html
    Darn shame that this is happening. I have wanted a 94 Marlin forever, but can't bring myself to pay the price a real Marlin brings now. This just hardens my resolve to not buy anything from the Remlin/Cerebus conglomerate.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Sorry, I forgot about this thread.

Adler A110 shotguns, 13" and 20". TOTALLY fun. The 13" is a 4+1, the 20 a 7+1. Beats on your knuckles something fierce after a hundred rounds or two though...levers are not for high volume shooting.

This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List