Page 38 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Marlin went through a rough patch a while back, and the internet is never going to forget it. I just did an exhaustive search of Marlin leverguns at all the gun stores within a reasonable driving distance. All of the new Marlin's I looked at looked decent. I didn't see any crooked barrels, clearly sloppy work or similar issues like they were shoving out the door several years ago. They operated relatively smoothly for new guns, and had serviceable triggers. Wood to metal fit was reasonable, on par with guns they've made in the past. Blueing and polishing was decent. My biggest complaint about new Marlins is I don't like the larger, checkered forestocks and buttstocks they are putting on the guns now.

You can buy a brand new 336W at The Wal-Mart right now for $345. That's one hell of a bargain. It's got a matte finish and the wood isn't walnut, but if you want a functional rifle capable of killing assholes and most of the game animals in North America, you get alot for your money.

I wound up buying a 1988 Marlin 336CS because it had a very nice trigger and the older, slimmer wood.

People wax about "JM Stamped" Marlin lever guns like they were bespoke rifles. They're not. They've always been a mass produced rifle that a working class guy could afford if he saved and worked a little overtime maybe. I could pick up any "classic era" Marlin and find something to nit pick about regarding wood to metal fit, and etc.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Having owned several of the old Marlins I agree that they were just another mass produced rifle. At the same time that Remington was screwing up Marlins, they were also turning out defective 870s and other mainstays of their line. Hopefully, Remington is improving quality control across the board. However, within the last year they shipped a batch of Marlin 45-70s with defective(missing in some places)rifling. I saw this myself at a retail store. Marlin lever rifles are simple devices; however, Remington repeatedly botched the manufacture of this design. Perhaps they are doing better now. In all fairness I must say that two out of two of my new Henry lever guns were screwed up from the get go and had to go back. So, we all take our chances.

I bought a Guide Gun recently and it’s GTG. And I got a Henry Big Boy All Weather in 45-70, and it won’t group anywhere near the center of the POA. Even with the sight moved nearly out of the dovetail. I think something is wrong with it and it needs to go back to get fixed.

civiliandefender.com

Site Supporter
    Sherman, if you email Henry's owner, give serial number, and explain, you will receive instructions on shipping it back on their dime. Or, ask the dealer to handle it. Either way it's at H's expense.

http://www.guns.com/2017/11/30/midwe...-lever-action/

Have you guys seen this? Handy way of mounting a light to a lever gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    http://www.guns.com/2017/11/30/midwe...-lever-action/

Have you guys seen this? Handy way of mounting a light to a lever gun.
    Yes, post No 327.

Site Supporter
    Owned a few pistol cal Win 94s they always seemed to work pretty well for me.
    Had a pre AE 357 that I sold to some guy that just had to have it, he was offering twice what it cost so I sold it.
    Big mistake been looking for another for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I havent heard of any negative reports so far. Several guys on the leverguns forum have them and like them.
    I approached them about building me a 45 Colt.
    I have never seen one in the wild, man they look good, currently talking myself into ordering one.
    Name:  D04E4246-7FCE-40BB-B306-1DB22A499515.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  76.9 KB

Dug this one out of the back of the safe the other day.
    45 Colt Trapper.
    Last edited by dbateman; 12-02-2017 at 01:25 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Fellas, I need a little help here, I have a couple lever guns, Win mod 94 trapper in .44mag, and a repro Win mod 1886 in 45-70, (I'd take it out more often, but the thing weighs more than my M1 Garand).Anyway, I got wanting a .22 lever gun and ordered a Browning BL -22 micro midas, thinking it would be a nice match for my .44 trapper, but now I'm reading the specs a little more closely, and I'm seeing that this rifle has a 12" length of pull, and now I'm not sure if it'll be too short for me or not (I'm 5'8). Do any of you have any experiences with the micro version of the bl-22? I ordered it from CDNN on Saturday, about noon, and I don't think they've processed the order yet, so, I think I still have time to change my order, if I call them first thing Monday.. On the other hand, if this thing fits me it just might be a neat little rifle to have..I just don't know what to do..I had a bl-22, grade ll about 30yrs ago, and it was a sweetheart.. I appreciate any help you could offer..
    Last edited by ralph; 12-03-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Fellas, I need a little help here, I have a couple lever guns, Win mod 94 trapper in .44mag, and a repro Win mod 1886 in 45-70, (I'd take it out more often, but the thing weighs more than my M1 Garand).Anyway, I got wanting a .22 lever gun and ordered a Browning BL -22 micro midas, thinking it would be a nice match for my .44 trapper, but now I'm reading the specs a little more closely, and I'm seeing that this rifle has a 12" length of pull, and now I'm not sure if it'll be too short for me or not (I'm 5'8). Do any of you have any experiences with the micro version of the bl-22? I ordered it from CDNN on Saturday, about noon, and I don't think they've processed the order yet, so, I think I still have time to change my order, if I call them first thing Monday.. On the other hand, if this thing fits me it just might be a neat little rifle to have..I just don't know what to do..I had a bl-22, grade ll about 30yrs ago, and it was a sweetheart.. I appreciate any help you could offer..
    Have you measured your LoP? That would go a long way towards answering your own question. Alternatively you could measure the LoP of a rifle that you know fits you well.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I’m 6’4” and I CAN use a 15” LOP, although I prefer to use a 12” LOP. I keep all out long guns on the shorter end of the LOP so that they can be used by everyone in the family.

civiliandefender.com

User Tag List