Page 177 of 178 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178 LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by MRW View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with a Winchester 94 in .450 Marlin? The idea of a big bore Model 94 is appealing.

I know commercial ammo is very limited so reloading is probably the best way to go. Any known accuracy or durability issues?
    We have a 94 Trapper in 450 Marlin with XS Ghost ring sights. It is a light, svelte, sweet handling carbine. I laid in a “lifetime supply” of Hornady factory, but also bought dies to reload for it should it become necessary down the road. Have it for large mammals at close range.

As far as accuracy… well between the huge ghost ring and not insignificant recoil, we didn’t shoot a lot of groups with it. Pie plate at 50 and we were good to go. IIRC, it’s about 100-200 fps faster than a 45-70 with 325 or 350 gr bullets.

My son harvested a 230# black bear with it a while back. He short stroked the lever between first and second round, that was the only malfunction we’ve experienced. Found that both rounds fully penetrated the rib cage with exits not hugely bigger than entrance holes. Possibly way more than needed on a bear that size.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    “(pre-Remlin QC was not all it is cracked up to be)”

There were rumblings on the Marlin forum prior to Remington’s acquisition of Marlin. My pre-Remlin 1894 in .44 isn’t perfect but it isn’t a bad rifle at all. I put the Midwest Industries sight and rail combo on it and all is good.
    A .357 would be a perfect companion for it.
    I think Marlin struggled a bit with the stainless guns in particular; that material seems to be a tough hill to climb for a lot of gunmakers.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

So in addition to having a ranch, apparently this guy has some kind of custom gun shop and he (or the custom shop) recently acquired another custom shop (Wyoming Armory maybe?). And he’s hip deep in the Winchester Collectors Association. I find his delivery unusual but the videos I’ve watched have been pretty good overall.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’ve watched his stuff quite a bit. He’s informative and knowledgeable. No heavy metal intro music too...or slo-mo’s. I’ll take it.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    "I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a schoolboy. I am as giddy as a drunken man."

"Why," you may ask? This:

Name:  Marlin 1894 SBL .357.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  21.8 KB

Spring was official on the 19th, and I already have cash in hand. I eagerly await the first one I find in an LGS.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Now I want a Rivan so I can hang this in my back window:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  16.9 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Question

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Now I want a Rivan so I can hang this in my back window:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  16.9 KB
    Looks dope! What kind of a gun is it? Any link?

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    "I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a schoolboy. I am as giddy as a drunken man."

"Why," you may ask? This:

Name:  Marlin 1894 SBL .357.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  21.8 KB

Spring was official on the 19th, and I already have cash in hand. I eagerly await the first one I find in an LGS.

I did not need to know about this.

I did not need to know about this.

Site Supporter
    Darn, there goes the window to sell my old Marlin .357

On a more serious note I’m sad lever actions have effectively doubled or tripled in price, remember when they were the poor man’s choice compared to an AR?, but it is good to see them back on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    So in addition to having a ranch, apparently this guy has some kind of custom gun shop and he (or the custom shop) recently acquired another custom shop (Wyoming Armory maybe?). And he’s hip deep in the Winchester Collectors Association. I find his delivery unusual but the videos I’ve watched have been pretty good overall.

Rarely do I watch much on Youtube, but I watched that, and that was very much worth the watch. Now I am going to spend a bunch of time watching his stuff! He reminds me of so many folks that I have known over the years in rural areas of the Rocky Mountain west and Great Basin.

Almost afraid to watch too much, as I might start breaking out the lever guns and finish up projects that have long been on the back burner! Building loads, adding compact RDOs, tuning actions, etc. I have so many other things that are really a much higher priority, but it is hard to resist after watching this guys videos. It is so nice to see a video without all the hype and intentional dumb stuff that some people do just to get attention.

Great stuff.

Thank you for posting that.

User Tag List